Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Peru drug smuggling case - READ OP BEFORE POSTING

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

This serving your sentence at home bull is just that. The uk should have told them to get ****ed . Why should the uk taxpayer pay to imprison people caught breaking the law abroad? And more specifically these two and not everyone else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,253 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Irish-drug-smugglers-nabbed-in-Spain---sentenced-to-30-years-in-prison-168659626.html

Irish man caught smuggling cannabis into Ireland from Spain was jailed for 30 years last year.

Should he not have been released and let home to his family?
    i believe he should, i believe people get to uppity over "drugs" when many take a drug themselves IE alcohol which is a drug whether people like it or not

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

i believe he should, i believe people get to uppity over "drugs" when many take a drug themselves IE alcohol which is a drug whether people like it or not

We live in a world where alcohol is legal and has been for too long . We're too far down the road to ban it so that silly "but you can get alcphol and cigarrettes "arguement can be set aside. The answer is not to just legalise everything else people can come up with. If it was only discovered and started to be used now then yes, it may well be banned.

fussyonion wrote: »
    So I gather they won't serve the full six years?
    Shame. They deserve everything they get. Delighted they're being banged up abroad.
    you don't take any recreational drugs then? alcohol? smoke cigarettes? yeah you go on and be delighted their banged up abroad and say shame at the fact they won't serve their full sentence, but if you do drink or smoke you have no moral high ground just like me

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

you don't take any recreational drugs then? alcohol? smoke cigarettes? yeah you go on and be delighted their banged up abroad and say shame at the fact they won't serve their full sentence, but if you do drink or smoke you have no moral high ground just like me

I drink alcohol-legal.
    I smoke cigarettes-legal.
    How exactly am I the same as a pair of dumb airheads who smuggled cocaine?!

We live in a world where alcohol is legal and has been for too long . We're too far down the road to ban it so that silly "but you can get alcphol and cigarrettes "arguement can be set aside. The answer is not to just legalise everything else people can come up with. If it was only discovered and started to be used now then yes, it may well be banned.
    legalizing everything else is the only option, criminalizing it has failed and that will never change, yeah maybe if alcohol was discovered today it would be banned but only by those who like wasting money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

its a waste of time money and energy, its only coke, when nobody drinks alcohol or smokes cigarettes anymore then we can make an issue but at the moment we keep wasting money on a hypocritical waste of time money and energy war that was never winnable, it doesn't matter how long the sentence is it won't stop it, those who won't smuggle would be deterred by a day in jail never mind 8 years, those who want to smuggle will take the risk whether its a day or 8 years, all this nonsense about getting to grip with the issue before it damages the fabric of society or the rule of law is laughable as it has all ready done that, best to let them go home and forget about it and stop wasting money and time on this, the war has been lost and was never winnable, the UN will eventually see that or maybe they all ready have and are just keeping things the way they are to keep the US happy.

Try reading what I wrote. It has to do with Peru not having control over prohibition, it has to do with Peruvian court trying to stop the catastrophic effects of drug gangs in Peru. All the above is wishy washy nonsense based on pure ignorance of the reality on the ground in South & Central America.

Good for the Peruvian court, they told them this is the sentence they would get if they were satisfied with the level of cooperation. They obviously have had some degree of that.

A fair sentence, reflecting the reality that people from the US, the UK and Europe need to know there are consequences for the drug trade in South America which go beyond ruining the lives of the residents of these countries.

As to the suggestion that criminals won't weigh up the risk of a 6 yr sentence against a 5 month incarceration....pffftt. Naive doesn't quite cover it.

Don't come to South America if you want to smuggle drugs. Don't make up stories to try and get out of it. Don't hide behind some wishy washy bullsh1t about personal freedom while people here are killed and fcked over by these gangs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I don't care how old these two idiots are and I don't care about their sob stories or how their parents are distraught.

These idiots should receive the same treatment as anyone else caught smuggling drugs and I don't feel a bit sorry for them.
    They also should serve the entire six years in Peru.

I don't care if their parents can't visit them...they should have thought about that, shouldn't they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Total Twadle. They are drug smugglers and were caught. Now they must do their time.

Stop trying to deflect the argument by suggesting that drug smuggling is the same as having a pint and a smoke.

I drink alcohol-legal.
    I smoke cigarettes-legal.
    How exactly am I the same as a pair of dumb airheads who smuggled cocaine?!
    recreational drugs are recreational drugs, my point is people getting all uppity and looking for harsh punishments in relation to drugs like coke all the while drinking, to me legality makes no difference, if people want these drugs their going to get them

• Advertisement

legalizing everything else is the only option, criminalizing it has failed and that will never change, yeah maybe if alcohol was discovered today it would be banned but only by those who like wasting money

Sure, once the US, the UN and the EU agree to this, we have a plan, however.....meanwhile in the real world, perhaps you'd like to stop being apologist for the destructive influence of criminal gangs. Or perhaps you think they are modern day Robin Hoods.

If so, I suggest a vacation in Cuidad Juarez, Mexico. You'll like it there, anything goes.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I'm sure anytime now that RTE will start the "poor Irish women" that they'd never do if it were men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

I don't care how old these two idiots are and I don't care about their sob stories or how their parents are distraught.

These idiots should receive the same treatment as anyone else caught smuggling drugs and I don't feel a bit sorry for them.

I don't care if their parents can't visit them...they should have thought about that, shouldn't they?

Ain't you lovely.

I am pie wrote: »
    Try reading what I wrote. It has to do with Peru not having control over prohibition, it has to do with Peruvian court trying to stop the catastrophic effects of drug gangs in Peru. All the above is wishy washy nonsense based on pure ignorance of the reality on the ground in South & Central America.

Good for the Peruvian court, they told them this is the sentence they would get if they were satisfied with the level of cooperation. They obviously have had some degree of that.

A fair sentence, reflecting the reality that people from the US, the UK and Europe need to know there are consequences for the drug trade in South America which go beyond ruining the lives of the residents of these countries.

As to the suggestion that criminals won't weigh up the risk of a 6 yr sentence against a 5 month incarceration....pffftt. Naive doesn't quite cover it.

Don't come to South America if you want to smuggle drugs. Don't make up stories to try and get out of it. Don't hide behind some wishy washy bullsh1t about personal freedom while people here are killed and fcked over by these gangs.
    all what happens when you criminalize the drug trade

recreational drugs are recreational drugs, my point is people getting all uppity and looking for harsh punishments in relation to drugs like coke all the while drinking, to me legality makes no difference, if people want these drugs their going to get them

Legality makes no difference?
    Of course it does, makes a world of difference. There are a hell of a lot of other differences between coke and beer and ciggs too.

Total Twadle. They are drug smugglers and were caught. Now they must do their time.

Stop trying to deflect the argument by suggesting that drug smuggling is the same as having a pint and a smoke.
    its the same as the nonsense in relation to alcohol that happened in the 1920s in america

its the same as the nonsense in relation to alcohol that happened in the 1920s in america

How is prohibition in the us in the late 20s related to coke smugglers in peru 90 years later?
    Was Al Capone behind it?

I am pie wrote: »
    Sure, once the US, the UN and the EU agree to this, we have a plan, however.....meanwhile in the real world, perhaps you'd like to stop being apologist for the destructive influence of criminal gangs. Or perhaps you think they are modern day Robin Hoods.

If so, I suggest a vacation in Cuidad Juarez, Mexico. You'll like it there, anything goes.
    i'm an apologist for nobody, as far as i'm concerned if they want to continue with the destructive system we have currently that was always going to fail over legalization then frankly then criminals are going to continue running the trade.

i'm an apologist for nobody, as far as i'm concerned if they want to continue with the destructive system we have currently that was always going to fail over legalization then frankly then criminals are going to continue running the trade.

He said, apologising for the criminals running the drug trade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Legality makes a huge difference. Smuggling a large amount of drugs, in turn funding criminal gangs is hugely different to having a pint or a smoke. The obvious solution would be to make the stuff legal and regulated in the first place. But thats another matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Holsten wrote: »
    Ain't you lovely.

It's a fair point. They knew what they were doing, they knew the potential consequences, they went ahead with it anyway and now they're spinning sob stories. Boo fucking hoo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Do you even know what an apologist means because you are quite obviously being an apologist for these two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,752 ✭✭✭degsie

Ok, so the girls smuggled drugs, got caught and are now doing time. It held my attention for a while. Justice has been served. Time to move on to the next titalating story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Update: they've been given six years and eight months each, according to AFP - also a fine of $4,000 each and 280 days community service.

Edit: whoops, I'm behind the times - ignore me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

Don't know how many times you have used the word "idiots" to describe them there. No "master criminals" "thugs" "violent" "55 previous convictions" "out on bail". They broke the law, no doubt - but they are a pack of idiots. Stupid young girls who acted without any thought of the consequences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Linoge wrote: »
    Don't know how many times you have used the word "idiots" to describe them there. No "master criminals" "thugs" "violent" "55 previous convictions" "out on bail". They broke the law, no doubt - but they are a pack of idiots. Stupid young girls who acted without any thought of the consequences.

It wasn't a heat of the moment snap decision, they had plenty to think of the consequences of what they were about to do/get involved in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Foxtrol wrote: »
    It wasn't a heat of the moment snap decision, they had plenty to think of the consequences of what they were about to do/get involved in.

And MMcCC had apparently already done a couple of runs to Spain, so she knew what she was doing.

I wonder will they be giving advice to people in a few years time from their Cells. I mean, have they yet realised what they have been doing. Lack of cooperation has led them to where they are now.

I didn't realise they got Community Service too.. Is that outside?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Allyall wrote: »
    And MMcCC had apparently already done a couple of runs to Spain, so she knew what she was doing.

I wonder will they be giving advice to people in a few years time from their Cells. I mean, have they yet realised what they have been doing. Lack of cooperation has led them to where they are now.

I didn't realise they got Community Service too.. Is that outside?

Pair of fools...and whats worse is there's dozens of similar minded airheads doing runs like that all over the world.

It's galling the way the media has to some extent turned them into victims in the whole thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Poor silly eejits.

That's some sentence they've got for themselves. Silly stupid girls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Poor silly eejits.

That's some sentence they've got for themselves. Silly stupid girls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

Well fed in prison by the looks of it, or lack of Cocaine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Well they certainly can't claim that they're being starved anyhow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭donegal__road

all going well, they will be in a middling decent prison.. and this whole episode will have saved them from a life of drug induced debauchery on Ibiza... which would lead to god knows where.. in a way, they have been saved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭A.Partridge

Aw no....Minnie Mouse and her mate have been sent to jail! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Aw no....Minnie Mouse and her mate have been sent to jail! :eek:
    Will they meet Mickey inside?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

That a huge rack the blond one has in the photo in this article, is it real or what?
    Looks a bit disproportioned

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭chickcharnley

anyone see or hear of the nordie matlock? the sentence that they got was very lenient they should have got more time to make an example out of them, as for this bring them home stuff; i object not on the british or irish taxpayers bill!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭OldRio

I know nothing of Peruvian jails but on the latest evidence it seems their catering establishments are excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

That a huge rack the blond one has in the photo in this article, is it real or what?
    Looks a bit disproportioned

they have a no bra policy in Peruvian female prisons

giggity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,525 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

anyone see or hear of the nordie matlock? the sentence that they got was very lenient they should have got more time to make an example out of them, as for this bring them home stuff; i object not on the british or irish taxpayers bill!

Why make an example of these two people as opposed to any two of the many others the Peruvians have caught for the same offence? Why single them out for an extra harsh sentence?

• Advertisement

The Nordie Matlock has been remarkably silent the last few months...after his windbagging antics a few months ago.

In spite of all his whinging he has done them no good whatever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭sok2005

To me it looks like they have both put on weight since they've been in holding. Good sign for their physical and mental health i suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,266 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

sok2005 wrote: »
    To me it looks like they have both put on weight since they've been in holding. Good sign for their physical and mental health i suppose.
    not much reason to dance in prison i guess

sok2005 wrote: »

The scottish one is holding a big bunch of bannanas...the nordie one is clutching a book with
    "How you can create the happy fulfilled life you've always dreamed of"
    written on the back cover hahaha.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2525376/Peru-Two-Michaella-McCollum-Melissa-Reid-jailed-years-months-smuggling-drugs.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

If this is true (in the Daily Mail, so who knows), they would want to be getting back to Scotland/NI as soon as they can

"The Peru Two have been sent to the Santa Monica prison in Chorrillo to begin their sentence, which will last until April 2020.
    The jail - which is notorious for its crowded and unsanitary conditions - has housed most foreign women prisoners in the past.
    The prison was built for 250 women but now houses more than 1,000 in filthy conditions in which HIV and tuberculosis are rife.
    A report in 2002 by the US Department of State said inmates in Peru's prisons often lacked access to potable water, adequate bathing facilities and hygienic kitchen facilities.
    ""

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭sok2005

chopper6 wrote: »
    The scottish one is holding a big bunch of bannanas...the nordie one is clutching a book with written on the back cover hahaha.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2525376/Peru-Two-Michaella-McCollum-Melissa-Reid-jailed-years-months-smuggling-drugs.html

"Bananas and Books" The true story of the Peru Two.

Self help books and potassium! Who could want for more?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭chickcharnley

Why make an example of these two people as opposed to any two of the many others the Peruvians have caught for the same offence? Why single them out for an extra harsh sentence?
    well to discourage other "gringos" from being so stupid in the first place; and to show that they wont get special treatment; much unlike they get here in Ireland; in addition it would show that telling cock and bull stories and sending out gowlbag solicitors only makes thing worse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Prison Quote

They've said that about every single prison that the girls might go to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,525 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

well to discourage other "gringos" from being so stupid in the first place; and to show that they wont get special treatment; much unlike they get here in Ireland; in addition it would show that telling cock and bull stories and sending out gowlbag solicitors only makes thing worse

None of that makes any real sense to be honest.
    Like if you feel that the standard Peruvian sentence is too lenient then fair enough, but there's no reason for these two to be 'made an example of' as there is absolutely nothing different in this case to any other two gringos. Initial denial followed by a guilty plea a few months later is fairly standard.

You do seem to have quite a problem with the solicitor going by every post of yours coming up with a different term of abuse for him, though the girls can hardly be blamed for his sudden appearance. And anyway judicial systems in civilised countries tend not to go down your desired path of giving extra sentences because of an objectionable defence team (not withstanding that I don't think he was ever an official part of the defence).

Its just a strange attitude this 'make an example of them' thing - arguably as objectionable an attitude as 'send the poor little white girls home' that other posters get accused of.

Treating them no better or worse than any others is surely the fairest, and is exactly what the Peruvians seem to have done.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

so we have to wait 6 years 8 months for the book and film:(

Advertisement