Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Peru drug smuggling case - READ OP BEFORE POSTING

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

I'd say in a David Brent type way he would make for a good interview actually

His moany voice would get on my tits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

FlashD wrote: »
    This is exactly the kind of thinking that got 6 million innocent people gased in the Second World War.

That is quiet a spectacular leap you are making there.

This is exactly the kind of thinking that got 6 million innocent people gased in the Second World War.

What? Having laws about not smuggling drugs?

Wow...just wow!

Did you know that (not too long ago), there were laws in this country about smuggling in condoms.

Were condoms as detrimental to human health and society as cocaine and crack?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,190 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

chopper6 wrote: »
    cocaine use leads to paranoia and premature aging and occasional death ..condoms lead to burning in hell for eternity, so i'd say yes they are as detrimental to health or worse.

No! But that's not what people thought back then.

Are condoms a multi-billion euro illegal industry?

Do people use condoms and then go on the rampage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,199 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

chopper6 wrote: »
    yes according to the catholic church lol, however just because something is detrimental to human health and society doesn't mean that having it illegal is the right way

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

You still haven't explained about the hamburgler, which I believe means that there is an huge hole in your "nobody steals fast food" argument.

Post 2595... :confused:

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

Melissa's dad Billy, 53, said after they were sentenced: "We think the sentence is too harsh and doesn't sit with the crime that was committed."

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/security-at-peru-two-jail-tightened-following-prisoner-suicide-29899050.html

The above comment from the father of Melissa Reid is essentially a tacit admission that they are guilty. In the light of this will the Irish media admit that their reporting on this case is absurdly sentimental and hypocritical? Can anyone imagine such a friendly treatment in the media for a foreign drug dealer caught in Ireland, or even an Irish male caught abroad?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

I wonder what and how much the Spanish lady was smuggling to get 26 years? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭greenflash

I prefer this article

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sunday-life/michaella-mccollum-confesses-i-took-drugs-in-ibiza-29909998.html

especially when you then watch this video particularly from 5.08

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Abimo_w62F0

Then I laugh about the appeal and the internet threats and the bollocks spouted by their families and friends.

Coke smugglers go to jail for long stretches. That's how it works.

greenflash wrote: »

Still playing the dumb innocent who didn't do it for money...*sigh*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I think the police are more than likely in on it. They allow drugs go through they just need to catch some of it going through so it looks like they're doing their job. The criminals tell them which people to look out for, I bet the police can even request what kind of person they want to catch.

ScumLord wrote: »
    I think the police are more than likely in on it. They allow drugs go through they just need to catch some of it going through so it looks like they're doing their job. The criminals tell them which people to look out for, I bet the police can even request what kind of person they want to catch.
    I'd say you are bang on there. Things tick along nicely i'd say. A nice little system!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭qapmoc

It's not brain surgery to guess that 2 very young Irish / Scottish women (now living in a nite club / your peoples holiday hotspot in southern Europe ) who scrape enough money to go to Peru for 6 days or whatever, did not go there to go bird watching or visit their granny. Who else do you know went that distance to a drug producing part of the world for such a short period of time without good reason to go there? No wonder their suitcases were searched.

Think of people whoses lives were going to be destroyed by hard drugs. My daughter and your daughter could have drugs sold to them at niteclubs in Ibiza.
    Think of the victims of crime caused by people addicted to these hard drugs.I have no sympathy for drug couriers or anyone involved in the drug trade. Them 2 women should have known better. In some parts of the world they would get executed for what they did.

qapmoc wrote: »
    Think of people whoses lives were going to be destroyed by hard drugs.
    who would have chosen to take them knowing the risks, what about those destroyed by soft drugs? what about those destroyed by alcohol, oh i forgot shur thats grand because its legal right?
    My daughter and your daughter could have drugs sold to them at niteclubs in Ibiza.
    people have alcohol sold to them in nightclubs around the world, only difference is its legal.
    Think of the victims of crime caused by people addicted to these hard drugs.
    think of the victims of crime caused by homeless alcoholics (it can happen)
    I have no sympathy for drug couriers or anyone involved in the drug trade.
    does that include bar owners and bar staff? their involved in a trade of a drug all be it a legal one after all
    In some parts of the world they would get executed for what they did.
    yet it does nothing to stop the trade, you see, you so called anti-drugs people don't have an argument do you? its all based on hypocrisy (not your fault we were all fed the same nonsense about how drugs are bad yet shur the oul gargle is good)

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

In some parts of the world they would get executed for what they did.

In some parts of the world you would get executed for committing adultery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

My daughter and your daughter could have drugs sold to them at niteclubs in Ibiza.

Yeah so I think we have problems that our daughter's are BUYING drugs in Ibiza. Think you need to have talk with your daughter in this scenario.

people have alcohol sold to them in nightclubs around the world, only difference is its legal.
    Cocaine is not the same as alcohol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

who would have chosen to take them knowing the risks, what about those destroyed by soft drugs? what about those destroyed by alcohol, oh i forgot shur thats grand because its legal right?

think of the victims of crime caused by homeless alcoholics (it can happen)

does that include bar owners and bar staff? their involved in a trade of a drug all be it a legal one after all

yet it does nothing to stop the trade, you see, you so called anti-drugs people don't have an argument do you? its all based on hypocrisy (not your fault we were all fed the same nonsense about how drugs are bad yet shur the oul gargle is good)

You might have a point when it comes to weed. But unless I am very much mistaken, we're talking cocaine. Or how about crack....do you have no problem with that either?

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Cocaine is not the same as alcohol.
    heroin and alcohol aren't the same either, but their both drugs

You might have a point when it comes to weed. But unless I am very much mistaken, we're talking cocaine. Or how about crack....do you have no problem with that either?
    actually i don't care, if someone wishes to take this stuff then they can fill their boots, its their life to ruin, keeping them illegal does nothing but cause vast amounts of money to be wasted for nothing which could be spent on helping people who need it whether their poor, have addictions and so on

heroin and alcohol aren't the same either, but their both drugs
    Caffeine is a drug. So is nicotine. Penicillin. Solpadeine. I could list hundreds of drugs but there would be no point to it. Some drugs are far more harmful than others and that is why they are regulated. I would like to weed legalised but not heroin. If you can't see why that would be, then there is no point talking to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Caffeine is a drug. So is nicotine. Penicillin. Solpadeine. I could list hundreds of drugs but there would be no point to it. Some drugs are far more harmful than others and that is why they are regulated. I would like to weed legalised but not heroin. If you can't see why that would be, then there is no point talking to you.

If that were the sole reason, alcohol would be regulated to the same extent as illegal drugs.

If that were the sole reason, alcohol would be regulated to the same extent as illegal drugs.
    Why would alcohol be regulated that much? Makes no sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Why would alcohol be regulated that much? Makes no sense.

Because it's extremely harmful to those who use it and people around them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

No it's not

Hootanany wrote: »
    No it's not
    agree, most of us are responsible when it comes to alcohol, but most of us realize it is a drug and that it can be harmful if to much is taken

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭MonaPizza

It's not brain surgery to guess that 2 very young Irish / Scottish women (now living in a nite club / your peoples holiday hotspot in southern Europe ) who scrape enough money to go to Peru for 6 days or whatever, did not go there to go bird watching or visit their granny. Who else do you know went that distance to a drug producing part of the world for such a short period of time without good reason to go there? No wonder their suitcases were searched.

Think of people whoses lives were going to be destroyed by hard drugs. My daughter and your daughter could have drugs sold to them at niteclubs in Ibiza.
    Think of the victims of crime caused by people addicted to these hard drugs.I have no sympathy for drug couriers or anyone involved in the drug trade. Them 2 women should have known better. In some parts of the world they would get executed for what they did.

Hmm!!! That's the very same kind of narrowminded thought process that leads to young men being banged up and shipped off to Guantanamo just because they decided to spend a few months visiting Pakistan to see their grandparents/cousins/uncles after finishing up their studies in Birmingham or Bradford.
    What the hell is a "military-aged male" with a cockney accent doing in Karachi? Must be Al-qaeda. Send him to Camp X-Ray!

As for your nonsense about "think of those whose lives are ruined by drugs"....yeah your daughter could have drugs sold to her in a club in Ibiza....it takes two parties to complete a transaction though doesn't it? Your daughter would have to agree to buy the drugs. In fact she'd probably need to go looking for them. I doubt anyone is going to drag her to a room and forcibly pour a load of narcotics down her throat or stick a needle in her arm and shoot her up.

Just as many lives are ruined by alcohol. Do you have as much disdain for those involved in the drinks trade? And don't give me the "one is legal, the other illegal" crap. If you care so much about the victims of addiction then you should hold equally in contempt the suppliers of the vehicles of their addiction whether they be drug peddlars, brewers, tobacconists, bookies, pharmacists, hardware store owners who sell glue/paint/methylated spirits, etc.

• Advertisement

agree, most of us are responsible when it comes to alcohol, but most of us realize it is a drug and that it can be harmful if to much is taken

It is possible to take in alcohol responsibly. It is not possible to consume crack cocaine or crystal meth responsibly. So therefore they should be illegal.

If you can't see the difference between hard and soft drugs, and the different approaches that should be taken toward them, then there's no point debating with you any more

And before you accuse me of comparing apples and oranges, it was you who equated cocaine with beer

It is possible to take in alcohol responsibly. It is not possible to consume crack cocaine or crystal meth responsibly. So therefore they should be illegal.
    no they shouldn't, keeping them illegal costs way to much for nothing in return
    If you can't see the difference between hard and soft drugs, and the different approaches that should be taken toward them, then there's no point debating with you any more
    you know the only thing prohibition does? it keeps criminal gangs in business

Well I would hazard that sniffing glue, gas, paint, petrol is just as harmful as heroin. It completely frazzles the brain and nervous system yet these products can be bought anywhere. There are many naturally occuring products that are narcotic, hallucinogenic (mushrooms) or just plain lethal (deadly nightshade) that people will try to get a buzz from.

Colin Farrell, Robbie Williams and Russell Brand all look pretty ok, probably because they could afford to procure good quality narcotics and consume them in a safe and secure environment.
    The wretched street junkie isn't so lucky and has to rely on the shady illegal market forces to get his fix, a fix that could kill him due to its unregulated toxic composition.
    Banning a drug will not eradicate it but education and a shift in societal attitudes will reduce the problem. Case in point. With the removal of all tobacco advertising, displays and sponsorships smoking has decreased among young people to the point where your average 10 or 11 year old will be hard pressed to name a few cigarette brands. On the flip side those same kids will be able to rattle off countless alcohol brands because of their connection to sport and the garish displays of booze in supermarkets and in tv ads.

Think of Carlsberg on Liverpool jerseys or Newcastle Ale on NUFC strips. Brains Bitter on Welsh jerseys, the whole Heineken Cup thing, the Carling Cup, Carling on Rangers and Celtics jerseys, Martini and Bulmers in Formula 1 etc.

All I'm saying is criminalising these products won't do sh!t to get rid of them. Awareness, treatment and education are the only remedies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭donegal__road

In one of the pubs I played a bit of music in, there were a couple of regulars who were known to do a bit of small time dealing, weed mainly. A few times the owner was approached by regulars who wanted to let her know that these guys were selling hash in the vicinity of the bar now and again.

The bar owners response was that she was also a drug dealer and she couldn't have double standards, and didn't have a problem with the guys drinking in the bar.

The truth being of course, that these guys were among her best customers.

And before you accuse me of comparing apples and oranges, it was you who equated cocaine with beer

Is it possible to snort a line of cocaine responsibly?
    Is it possible to go camping with friends and take a bit of LSD "responsibly" and lie there for a few hours observing the colours and hallucinations?

Is it possible to take some speed or barbiturates responsibly?
    How about a space cake or hash brownie in Amsterdam and then lie in the hotel room giggling like a hyena for a few hours?

MonaPizza wrote: »

All I'm saying is criminalising these products won't do sh!t to get rid of them. Awareness, treatment and education are the only remedies.

Making the vast majority of the population, who wouldn't have a clue how to go about buying heroin and crack, more aware of them.....I see that working out well!!!

Is it possible to snort a line of cocaine responsibly?
    Is it possible to go camping with friends and take a bit of LSD "responsibly" and lie there for a few hours observing the colours and hallucinations?

Is it possible to take some speed or barbiturates responsibly?
    How about a space cake or hash brownie in Amsterdam and then lie in the hotel room giggling like a hyena for a few hours?

Of course.

Is it possible to take crystal meth responsibly? Or crack? Or heroin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Of course.

Not sure about the first 2, but it's definitely possible to take heroin responsibly. If it wasn't, hollywood and the music industry would've become extinct a long time ago. The only real difference is the quality of the product though. Someone with money buying it from a reliable "retailer" and knowing their limits could be deemed as using it "responsibly". Someone on the street mugging people and buying any cheap old crap they can find would not

Of course.

Well if your criterion for something being legal or illegal is the ability to consume it "responsibly" [in your words] then why are the drugs that I mentioned illegal? You're not making much sense.

• Advertisement

Well if your criterion for something being legal or illegal is the ability to consume it "responsibly" [in your words] then why are the drugs that I mentioned illegal? You're not making much sense.

Point out where I said that list shouldn't be. Except coke which I think is too damaging

I was responding to End of the road who doesn't believe any drug should be illegal. And I challenged as to whether crack cocaine, or crystal meth should be legal. You guys think there should be no line in the sand at all. I agree that the line is drawn too conservatively today. But having no line in the sand at all in absolute nonsense.

Anyway this is one of those things where people's views are 100% entrenched. Not much point debating really. You'll never change my mind, I'll never change yours. You think I don't make much sense. I think much the same about your ideas on drug legalization

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Of course.

On all counts, yes it is. There is no true or false, just different levels of abuse potential.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Was it coke or opiates they were smuggling?

Point out where I said that list shouldn't be. Except coke which I think is too damaging

I was responding to End of the road who doesn't believe any drug should be illegal. And I challenged as to whether crack cocaine, or crystal meth should be legal. You guys think there should be no line in the sand at all. I agree that the line is drawn too conservatively today. But having no line in the sand at all in absolute nonsense.

Anyway this is one of those things where people's views are 100% entrenched. Not much point debating really. You'll never change my mind, I'll never change yours. You think I don't make much sense. I think much the same about your ideas on drug legalization

You don't know my views on drug legalisation so for you to say that is a wild assumption. As for entrenchment and intransigence, you seem the one most guilty of that. You've stated flatly that crack and meth should be illegal..."end of" yet you offer fcuk all by way of a cogent explanation as to why you have this black and white stance other than some vague notion of them being "ultra-harmful" or something. You also seem to think that those who want drugs de-criminalised actually want to promote them. This isn't the case at all. Criminalising drugs has not worked and that is a cold hard fact. You could make the use of crack punishable by the death penalty....it still wouldn't stop it so it is only logical to explore avenues such as decriminalisation, awareness and treatment.
    Refusal to consider this is counter-productive at best and dangerous at worst. If decriminalising drugs leads to the apocalyptic rise in addiction, criminality and death that so many of the naysayers bluster about then re-criminalise them. Then you'll know you were right all along. Otherwise you're just digging your heals in with no basis for the rejectionist stance. This is called fear of change and while it's an understandable human trait, it's also a failing not a quality.

Few things worthwhile have been accomplished without experimentation, trial and error.

Obesity is treated as a health issue, as is breast cancer, depression, alcoholism, etc. Why can't drug dependency be treated thus instead of a criminal matter?

Melissa has applied to transfer to Scotland and might be home before her 21st birthday. Wonder has Michaella applied?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I thought they wanted to make an example out of these two, showing that no matter what your age or gender you'd be given and expected to serve hard time for such activities.

I'd say nobody in Peru or elsewhere in South America gives a sh1te though, it's a big business that's here to stay and I'm sure plenty of 'greasing' goes on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I sincerely hope Melissa's request is denied. I want the two of those girls to do their time in Peru.
    Sending one or both of them back to the UK is only making things easy for them and they don't deserve to have it easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Hard to know, it's difficult for the families if they want to visit them.

They're still in prison after all.

Edit: however if they keep criticisng the Peruvian systems, it won't make them any more co-operative.
    Already mentioning letting her out with a tag.

fussyonion wrote: »
    I sincerely hope Melissa's request is denied.
    why? what difference does it make, really nobody cares where they serve their time, i certainly don't, a non issue.
    I want the two of those girls to do their time in Peru.
    why? what difference does it make where they serve their time? they imported some coke for morons who wanted it and who are stupid enough to take it, getting murderers rapists and so on off the streets is more important
    Sending one or both of them back to the UK is only making things easy for them
    not at all
    they don't deserve to have it easy.
    of course they do, its not the end of the world, people are stupid enough to take coke, these people brought it in either by force or not (i don't know i wasn't there) for those stupid enough to take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Drehen

End of the Road it seems to be your attitude that drug takers deserve the consequences of their actions if they are stupid enough to take drugs. By that same token you should believe that drug smugglers deserve the consequences of their actions if they are stupid enough to smuggle drugs

I sincerely hope Melissa's request is denied. I want the two of those girls to do their time in Peru.
    Sending one or both of them back to the UK is only making things easy for them and they don't deserve to have it easy.
    that's an awful outlook.

• Advertisement
Advertisement