Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Peru drug smuggling case - READ OP BEFORE POSTING

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

fussyonion wrote: »
    I sincerely hope Melissa's request is denied. I want the two of those girls to do their time in Peru.
    Sending one or both of them back to the UK is only making things easy for them and they don't deserve to have it easy.

I have no problem with them serving their time in the UK.
    Would Micheala not be applying for an Irish transfer though given that she is an irish citizen.
    Hope not as that would put the burden of cost on the irish tax payer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭fundi

I sincerely hope Melissa's request is denied. I want the two of those girls to do their time in Peru.
    Sending one or both of them back to the UK is only making things easy for them and they don't deserve to have it easy.
    I agree. And the Irish and UK taxpayer should not have to pay for their criminal activities between 2 other countries, Peru and Spain.

Some kids would have died from drugs they smuggled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

why? what difference does it make, really nobody cares where they serve their time, i certainly don't, a non issue.

why? what difference does it make where they serve their time? they imported some coke for morons who wanted it and who are stupid enough to take it, getting murderers rapists and so on off the streets is more important

not at all

of course they do, its not the end of the world, people are stupid enough to take coke, these people brought it in either by force or not (i don't know i wasn't there) for those stupid enough to take it.

Let's be clear yes there are people who want them to serve the time where they committed the crime. If they or one of them is moved to the UK it would make it much easier on them. Been seen to have a punishment acts as a deterrent for some even though not massively effective watering it down does not help.
    They were part of a process to make profit illegally from people. That includes crack addicts. Individual responsibility for user then the same applies to suppliers and traffickers. As traffickers they are at least somewhat responsible for supply to people who are now addicts and no longer have a choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,199 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

fundi wrote: »
    I agree. And the Irish and UK taxpayer should not have to pay for their criminal activities between 2 other countries, Peru and Spain.

their own fault for taking them then

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

You're lovely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,190 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

fundi wrote: »

I doubt it, unless they're letting kids into niteclubs in Ibiza

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

nm wrote: »
    You're lovely

Thank you

their own fault for taking them then

Same rule applies to the two girls; they're locked up now and it's their own fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Same rule applies to the two girls; they're locked up now and it's their own fault.

You are a stickler for the rules it seems.
    If the 'rules' between Peru and the UK allow prisoners to be transferred to serve their sentence in their home country then why the objection?

I'm just preparing my other half's UK accounts and his tax bill isn't pretty. I got a letter from revenue stating they are offsetting my tax refund against my property tax bill.

I don't want those taxes to fund their flights and to go against the cost of keeping them in prison at home.

• Advertisement

You are a stickler for the rules it seems.
    If the 'rules' between Peru and the UK allow prisoners to be transferred to serve their sentence in their home country then why the objection?

I'm a stickler for the rules?
    That's a bit of a flippant thing to say when we're talking about two girls who were caught smuggling drugs and are now whingeing about being banged up.
    I swear to God, if these were two young men we were talking about, there wouldn't be all this sympathy for them.

Regarding the rules, I can do nothing about that. Doesn't mean I can't be annoyed with it.
    The way I see it; two girls were caught smuggling drugs-they were doing it because of the promise of money and their greedy little brains thought "Sure, why not".
    Had they not been caught, they'd be living in some sun-soaked country spending their ill-gotten gains.

Now they've been caught and they're crying about being locked up and you have their families on telly, giving interviews about how "hard it is" and that they're "only young girls" and they have the AUDACITY to ask people to donate towards a fund?!

I mean, if you can't do the time, don't do the crime.

It sickens me that we're expected to pity these girls because they're "young and naive".

Nope, not having it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Punishing these two is having such an affect on the international drug trade isn't it.

Thank god these masterminds, these drug barons were caught.

The world is a safer, better place with the two girls locked away, right?

Holsten wrote: »

Yup. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Punishing these two is having such an affect on the international drug trade isn't it.

What a ridiculous analogy. By that token, because there are still murders happening every week in Ireland we should let all current murderers out, since punishing them is having such an affect on the murder rate.

Jesus wept.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Tetra

I have no problem with them serving their time in the UK.
    Would Micheala not be applying for an Irish transfer though given that she is an irish citizen.
    Hope not as that would put the burden of cost on the irish tax payer.

Michaela indicated she would rely on the UK rather then the Irish authorities to liaise with the Peruvian authorities, as is her right as an individual from Northern Ireland.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/drugs-smuggler-michaella-mccollum-connolly-may-escape-peru-prison-squalor-to-serve-sentence-in-uk-30160276.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

What a ridiculous analogy. By that token, because there are still murders happening every week in Ireland we should let all current murderers out, since punishing them is having such an affect on the murder rate.

Jesus wept.
    No not by that token at all.

Murder is the worst crime that can be committed, you cannot compare it smuggling a bit of cocaine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

I'm just preparing my other half's UK accounts and his tax bill isn't pretty. I got a letter from revenue stating they are offsetting my tax refund against my property tax bill.

I don't want those taxes to fund their flights and to go against the cost of keeping them in prison at home.

Yep I kind of like this point. If they can pay for their flights and room and board in prison let them come back, otherwise its Peru's problem.

What is your alternative? Should we ruffle their hair and call them little scamps and tell them to run along?

• Advertisement

dirtyden wrote: »
    What is your alternative? Should we ruffle their hair and call them little scamps and tell them to run along?
    No not at all.

I think they've been punished enough, they've been locked up in Lima now for nearly a year I think. Will they do it again? I very much doubt it.

What is years more in prison going to accomplish for a non violent crime like this? Nothing but mess up their lives even more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

No not at all.

I think they've been punished enough, they've been locked up in Lima now for nearly a year I think. Will they do it again? I very much doubt it.

What is years more in prison going to accomplish for a non violent crime like this? Nothing but mess up their lives even more.

Christ! Has it been a year already?

Just checked, will be a year in August.

No not at all.

Ah fair enough, I picked up your point wrong. I don't think they have been unfairly dealt with myself. I believe its expected that they will serve about 3 years. Seems like a fair punishment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭GenieOz

Pretty sick to wish hardship on someone.
    They didn't harm anyone at all and you want to see them suffer, very worrying outlook.

• Advertisement

Ah fupp it! Lets let all the drug smugglers out of jail! :rolleyes:

Yeah ok?

Well

:rolleyes:

Yes..I know. I did say it.
    What exactly are you trying to say?

They didn't harm anyone.

This is a fact.

• Advertisement

They should be in jail full stop.

Alright, worrying to see you with the same view point.

Genie, why is it worrying?
    What's worrying about me wanting justice to be served on two girls who deserve it?

Would it be worrying if I wished all criminals served out their imposed sentences?
    What exactly is worrying about my outlook?

What's worrying about me wanting justice to be served on two girls who deserve it?

Would it be worrying if I wished all criminals served out their imposed sentences?
    It's not justice you want though, it's for them to go through extreme hardship, you want revenge.

If you actually cared about justice you wouldn't care where they served their sentences.

That you want them to suffer, people who did no harm to anyone let alone you.
    If you honestly think that's a normal way of thinking then fair enough, but please tell me where you live so I can stay far far away.

So in your opinion non violent criminals should not be punished?

I believe that if you do no harm to another human being then you shouldn't be punished.
    Especially when it comes to massively hypocritical drug laws.

It's not justice you want though, it's for them to go through extreme hardship, you want revenge.

If you actually cared about justice you wouldn't care where they served their sentences.

Nope, I never said that.

Why can't they serve their terms in the country where they were caught?
    Why should they be given a privilege?

Because being transferred to the UK to let them serve their time in a UK prison IS a privilege for them; they know that, compared to the Peruvian jail, a UK prison would be like a hotel.

I never said I wanted to see them sitting in piles of their own sh*t or being abused or anything like that, but these girls have done nothing but play the "woe is me" card since they were caught and now they want their jail experience to be an easy one.
    That's how Melissa seems to see it, anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,948 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The bleeding heart nonsense in this thread is exactly why we have such a problem with crime on our own doorsteps.

These 2 willingly tried to smuggle drugs on the promise of a payday - they got caught and were sentenced accordingly. They should finish out their sentence in the country they committed the crime in, after which they can certainly go home if they want to.

They did the crime, they do the time and frankly I couldn't give a toss about it being "hard" on their families because they're in Peru. Maybe if they'd taken more of an interest in raising them these girls wouldn't have gotten themselves into this mess in the first place.

As was already pointed out, if this was 2 fellas this thread probably wouldn't have reached page 2. Gotta love those double-standards!

Punished, but not jailed.

These were first time non violent offenders, they should not have been jailed at all.

• Advertisement

Yawn!

Well thought out response.

GenieOz wrote: »
    That you want them to suffer, people who did no harm to anyone let alone you.
    If you honestly think that's a normal way of thinking then fair enough, but please tell me where you live so I can stay far far away.

They did no harm to me but you're going off topic slightly.

How would you feel if a neighbour of yours was a convicted paedophile and was sent to prison for six years?

Would you say "Ah God love him, sure he did nothing to me"?
    I highly doubt that.

You seem to think these girls have stolen sweets from a sweetshop.
    They smuggled drugs. They're criminals. And now prisoners.

I am not abnormal.
    If you commit a crime, you have to man up and do the time.

Why should these girls, out of all the other women locked up, be treated any differently?

You want to stay far away from me because of my opinion?
    Well, I'd like to stay far away from you if you think smuggling drugs is just a petty crime and "God love the girls".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Punished, but not jailed.

These were first time non violent offenders, they should not have been jailed at all.

sure how would you punish them so??

if there no jail risk every tom,dick and harry would be into drug smuggling :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Martina82

If they had been caught in Ireland would they even have received a conviction?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Would you like to hear they were raped in there? Killed? Tortured?

How hard do you want them to suffer? Be honest now, remember they are 'young girls' as you keep going on, not fellas, so let's set an example here.

You actually sound like you want them to suffer more because they don't fit the usual typecast drug mules. Irrespective of the circumstances, cheer-leading their suffering is sick in the head in my opinion.

If they were caught in Singapore would you be as happy to see them be put to death?

Similarly, if they were caught somewhere more rational like Portugal or the Czech Republic would you be just as happy to see them receive and serve much lighter sentences?

Does your version of 'deserving it' vary from country to country or are you happy with the Peru standard?
    And with that in mind, what difference does it make to you where they serve their sentence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Martina82 wrote: »
    If they had been caught in Ireland would they even have received a conviction?

fairly certain being caught with a couple of kilos of cocaine in Ireland they would have been convicted and sent down aswel

They did no harm to me but you're going off topic slightly.

How would you feel if a neighbour of yours was a convicted paedophile and was sent to prison for six years?

Would you say "Ah God love him, sure he did nothing to me"?
    I highly doubt that.

You seem to think these girls have stolen sweets from a sweetshop.
    They smuggled drugs. They're criminals. And now prisoners.

I am not abnormal.
    If you commit a crime, you have to man up and do the time.

Why should these girls, out of all the other women locked up, be treated any differently?

You want to stay far away from me because of my opinion?
    Well, I'd like to stay far away from you if you think smuggling drugs is just a petty crime and "God love the girls".

So you missed the part where I said no harm to anyone then? Strange as it was part of the same sentence..
    And you talk about me going off topic when you're talking about paedophiles? Good God!

Nah I'd like to stay far away from you because you're wishing hardship on people who haven't done harm to anyone.

To be fair stealing sweets from a sweet shop would do more damage to the shopkeepers takings than this would have done to anyone.

sure how would you punish them so??

if there no jail risk every tom,dick and harry would be into drug smuggling :confused:
    To be honest with you I'm not too sure. Massive fine perhaps? Have them do some community service in Peru, put them to work helping out where ever needed, banned from Peru? I don't have the answers but jailing them certainly isn't it in my view.

I don't think it would make much of a difference at all, currently there is a risk a very high one yet people are queuing up to smuggle drugs. People don't think they'll get caught just like these two girls.

• Advertisement

Advertisement