Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Peru drug smuggling case - READ OP BEFORE POSTING

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Nearly everything you said is a direct result of the current prohibition of the drugs, remove that and you remove most of the problems you listed.

Harsh sentences do nothing for deterrent at all. Nearly every single criminal thinks they'll get away with it, so they don't even give a second thought nor care about the punishments they might receive.

And with drug smuggling it's a special area since you will have people who will take the risk no matter the punishment, e.g people smuggling into countries with the death penalty for drug trafficking. It's not being stopped and I highly doubt it's even being slowed down at all, there is just too much money to be made to ever stop it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

what has Oscar pistorious do to do with Ireland and irish prisioners:confused::confused:

Because he cant just say to the judge "look, can we just strike the prosecutions main evidence from the record and only use the bits that suit me so I win"

like has been said the savings will be got by deporting other forgien prisioners!!
    What if their own countries don't want to pay to house them and just set them free? Is that a fair system? Or if their own country has the death penalty for the crime and decides to execute them?

You are tried and convicted where you commit the crime and should serve the sentence there.

Holsten wrote: »
    Nearly everything you said is a direct result of the current prohibition of the drugs, remove that and you remove most of the problems you listed.

Plenty of legal goods are smuggled too.

Is legalising Heroin going to solve our junkie problem? Are people only doing because its cool to do illegal stuff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Holsten wrote: »

Harsh sentences do nothing for deterrent at all. Nearly every single criminal thinks they'll get away with it, so they don't even give a second thought nor care about the punishments they might receive.

And with drug smuggling it's a special area since you will have people who will take the risk no matter the punishment, e.g people smuggling into countries with the death penalty for drug trafficking. It's not being stopped and I highly doubt it's even being slowed down at all, there is just too much money to be made to ever stop it.

anyone I know who has ever been into prision usually will be first to admit that they knew they would be caught at it and say ''fcuk it ive had a good run'' and just put there head down and do their time

to suggest legalising it is a dangerous path as most drugs available in Ireland tend to low in purity (a lot of drug deaths are caused by mixer AFAIK)
    legalising them will lead to easier availability of more prue drugs and this will not be 100% the best thing
    then again in overdose situation legalising/regulating it would be a good step...
    so to make a point...legalising them will open whole new can of problems...which is better remains to be seen!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 The Trondheim Taximan

Easy spot the casual drug users in this thread.

Because he cant just say to the judge "look, can we just strike the prosecutions main evidence from the record and only use the bits that suit me so I win"

is that more or less what he tried to do:pac::pac:
    now he has resorted to crying...a broken man who knows he fukked

What if their own countries don't want to pay to house them and just set them free? Is that a fair system? Or if their own country has the death penalty for the crime and decides to execute them?

You are tried and convicted where you commit the crime and should serve the sentence there.

if the home countries set them free...then obviously don't send them back until there time served....all forgieners convicted and sent down for 12+ months should be deported and banned IMO including EU countries

on deporting them where the death penalty...it shouldn't apply IMO as they would be serving an irish sentence just in there own countries

eg if sent down for 4 years in Ireland with 25% remission
    they serve 3 years (if good behaviour) and then let out un there home countries and they banned from Ireland then

*likelihood of this happening is rare unfortunatly:(

Easy spot the casual drug users in this thread.

even easier to spot re-regs:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Didn't one of them apply to be transferred to the UK to serve her sentence? Whatever happened with that?

Didn't one of them apply to be transferred to the UK to serve her sentence? Whatever happened with that?

First I'm hearing of it. surprised it hasn't come up in the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

First I'm hearing of it. surprised it hasn't come up in the thread.

I posted an update a couple of days ago.
    Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Melissa has applied to transfer to Scotland and might be home before her 21st birthday. Wonder has Michaella applied?

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    I posted an update a couple of days ago.

Interesting, you'd think a development like that would be picked up on and debated..................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I actually don't see the problem with this (so long as following countries they were convicted ins remission rules etc)
    be nearer their families etc
    I fail to see how it serves anyone having these two at far side of the world??

It serves every law abiding person in Ireland/UK by meaning that we don't have to pay for them!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Interesting, you'd think a development like that would be picked up on and debated..................

It was

Very good, nearly a whole page dedicated to you sarcastically answering someone who hadn't read the picked up on the UK transfer debate.

You had me fooled good, I thought you were a moron.

• Advertisement

nm wrote: »
    Very good, nearly a whole page dedicated to you sarcastically answering someone who hadn't read the picked up on the UK transfer debate.

You had me fooled good, I thought you were a moron.

You should really have your settings on 40 posts per page, much less page turning and stress on your poor little noggin.

I fail to see how it serves anyone having these two at far side of the world??

Well it goes like this - they have to follow the letter of the law and serve every day of their sentence.
    Unless the letter of the law says they can be moved to a prison closer to home. Then they shouldn't follow the letter of the law anymore and should be left in Peru anyway.

That seems to be the case put forward here from what I can gather.

Why you ask? Still waiting on that, my previous queries have been ignored. Nearest I can tell, it's because they are female and males might not have the same chance (we don't know for sure but they might not, so let's not risk it)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

This post has been deleted.
    A half day in the Joy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

They've been moved to Ancon2 after all. Melissa Reid doesn't look too happy.....can't say I blame her.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2644869/British-drug-mule-Mellisa-Reids-exclusive-Peruvian-prison-diary.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Amazingfun wrote: »
    They've been moved to Ancon2 after all. Melissa Reid doesn't look too happy.....can't say I blame her.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2644869/British-drug-mule-Mellisa-Reids-exclusive-Peruvian-prison-diary.html
    Is that better or worse?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Jesus she's looking rough.
    Anywhere we can watch that entire video interview instead of a 48-second clip?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭rwg

fussyonion wrote: »
    Jesus she's looking rough.
    Anywhere we can watch that entire video interview instead of a 48-second clip?

Ye couldnt expect her to do more than 48 secs with hair like that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Is that better or worse?

Wasn't it in the papers around Christmas that a deal was in the works that would have her serving her time in the UK ? So this is def worse for them as it doesn't sound like she's going anywhere for some time to come ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Reformed Character

Happy for them.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I think they were hoping to be moved to the UK to finish their sentences, They only thing they can do is keep their heads down and they'll be home in a couple of years. It was stupid mistake obviously, but hopefully they can have lives after this ordeal. It wasn't the worst crime in the world, it was a lot of money they lost for whoever sent them so hopefully they write it off too. I think drug gangs usually do that with mules who don't squawk, they let them take the fall and do the time. It's a write off then and the mule is square with the house if they ever get release.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I think they were hoping to be moved to the UK to finish their sentences, They only thing they can do is keep their heads down and they'll be home in a couple of years. It was stupid mistake obviously, but hopefully they can have lives after this ordeal. It wasn't the worst crime in the world, it was a lot of money they lost for whoever sent them so hopefully they write it off too. I think drug gangs usually do that with mules who don't squawk, they let them take the fall and do the time. It's a write off then and the mule is square with the house if they ever get release.

The only thing they will have going for them is if they didn't name the people who gave them the drugs.

If they did then they will always be looking over their shoulder.

I used to work with a guy and we were all friends who would go out at the weekends, he moved to Dublin and went for the easy money selling drugs

He is still on the missing person list 15 years later.

She seems to have a "poor me " attitude in the article, no acknowledgement of the fact that the 2 of them lied about their guilt at the start of all this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

It wasn't the worst crime in the world,
    You think supplying drugs that cause major health issues for the users, financial hardship and addiction is not bad crime? Profiting off the misery of others is one of the worst crimes in the world if you ask me.
    Stupidity of youth should allow some leniency but it isn't victimless and they stood to make a large amount of money and were fully aware the illegal nature of what they were doing. All so they could party more, they weren't doing it to make money to support their kids or family.
    Their crimes were of a very selfish nature

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭donegal__road

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    You think supplying drugs that cause major health issues for the users, financial hardship and addiction is not bad crime? Profiting off the misery of others is one of the worst crimes in the world if you ask me.
    Stupidity of youth should allow some leniency but it isn't victimless and they stood to make a large amount of money and were fully aware the illegal nature of what they were doing. All so they could party more, they weren't doing it to make money to support their kids or family.
    Their crimes were of a very selfish nature

a drug is a drug..

not too long ago in Ireland, the local publican was also the undertaker, and when Paddy had finally drunk himself into the ground, the gombeen publican would lend the family the money to bury Paddy.. then they would return to the gombeen's bar and drink to Paddy's memory, and the cycle would continue.

*I never tried coke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

^^^^

Do you get a kick out of regurgitating stupid racist stereotypes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭donegal__road

catallus wrote: »
    ^^^^

Do you get a kick out of regurgitating stupid racist stereotypes?

I don't know what you mean.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

The only thing they can do is keep their heads down and they'll be home in a couple of years.

Agreed. They will look back on this is years to come as an expensive lesson learned.

I expect one or both of them on a reality tv show shortly after they return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Agreed. They will look back on this is years to come as an expensive lesson learned.

I expect one or both of them on a reality tv show shortly after they return.
    Banged up abroad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Ray Palmer wrote: »

does that go for those supplying legal drugs to? publicans, shops, so on?

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

a drug is a drug..

not too long ago in Ireland, the local publican was also the undertaker, and when Paddy had finally drunk himself into the ground, the gombeen publican would lend the family the money to bury Paddy.. then they would return to the gombeen's bar and drink to Paddy's memory, and the cycle would continue.

*I never tried coke
    No a drug is not just a drug. They have different qualities and effects on the user. Some are more dangerous than others. Cocaine and crack are very detrimental to your health and highly addictive.

Alcohol can be used in moderation by the vast majority. Cocaine is not as easy to use in moderation and crack is absolutely worse and meant to one of the most addictive drugs in the world.

If you ever met somebody on coke you would also realise it makes them absolute a-holes. Heighten aggression and strength nothing like alcohol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

A new RTÉ One documentary Michaela, Peru and the Drugs Run goes behind the media frenzy to explore how a 20-year-old Irish woman apparently seeking a summer of fun and adventure in Ibiza ended up in a Peruvian prison having admitted attempting to smuggle 11kgs of cocaine out of the country.

Monday night at 1900 rte 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

realies wrote: »
    A new RTÉ One documentary Michaela, Peru and the Drugs Run goes behind the media frenzy to explore how a 20-year-old Irish woman apparently seeking a summer of fun and adventure in Ibiza ended up in a Peruvian prison having admitted attempting to smuggle 11kgs of cocaine out of the country.

Monday night at 1900 rte 1.

We really need a documentary to explore how this happened?

When you play with fire you're going to get burned.

TV3 caught napping there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,524 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

RTÉ should have made a documentary on those 2 lads from Athlone who were locked up for $50k's worth of cocaine smuggling in Venezuela and escaped home.

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/irish-brothers-escape-from-venezuelan-jail-29502103.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

Not to worry the general public will follow suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

If thei rte message is one that warns people of how they might get sucked in and the repercussions of doing this, then fine. But if they give any credence at all to the nonsense 'coercion' story that the girls came up with I will be disgusted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

If thei rte message is one that warns people of how they might get sucked in and the repercussions of doing this, then fine. But if they give any credence at all to the nonsense 'coercion' story that the girls came up with I will be disgusted.

Just saw an ad for it there now on RTE 2 and it seems to me anyway that the tone of this programme will indeed be "poor Michaela" alright given the language of the narration and even the music used in the ad.

• Advertisement

Any sympathy that there might have been disappeared when their story was shown to be a pack of lies.

They went for the easy money and got caught.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

It looks to be some effort by the family to solicit sympathy.

Yeah. They are looking fairly rough though in the latest pics which will likely impact amount of sympathy they receive. Much easier to get traction in media / public opinion when you have a pretty blond girl, much harder when they look like hardened criminals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I wonder will Joe Duffy re launch his appeal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

What channel and what night is it on?

lukesmom wrote: »
    What channel and what night is it on?

Next Monday on RTE 1 I think.

• Advertisement
Advertisement