Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Peru drug smuggling case - READ OP BEFORE POSTING

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Next Monday on RTE 1 I think.

And everyone here will be watching.

(just so they can come on here and slag it off of course)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,716 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Well if it goes for the "look at poor me in prison" angle then the criticism will be deserved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

What harm, it'll be way better than emmerdale anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Get the tissues ready, the documentary is on rte1 now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭greenflash

Get the tissues ready

Somehow I don't think the women's prison scenes will be like Chained Heat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

What's the programme called? In the UK so will have to access on RTE Player, thank you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

I don't think they are really giving her much sympathy, in fact seem to be very much saying she was an eejit. Her poor mum though, I know that woman to see, I think she used to work in one of the shops in Monaghan. It can't be easy for her.

• Site Banned Posts: 6 Fez juslikethat

Merkin wrote: »
    What's the programme called? In the UK so will have to access on RTE Player, thank you!
    Michaella, Peru and the Drugs Run

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Thanks a million :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Nonsense show. She did the crime, now she has to to the time. No sympathy here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Nonsense show. She did the crime, now she has to to the time. No sympathy here.
    I agree that she did the crime so has to do the time and while I have no sympathy for her, I do empathise with her situation and I feel bad for her mother, sister and other family members. It's not just Michaella who is serving the sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭chickcharnley

hi everyone after a log absence:
    a few points on that programme:
    1. the programme tended to portray the Scottish girl as being some how connected to a crime org; whilst michaela was just naïve, I wonder how Melissa Reid's family would react to the show?
    2. RTE who made the show finally stated that her original story was false; this was never stated to my knowledge by them emphatically until now; me thinks there was an agenda there in doing this
    3. alas the nordie jowl bag solicitor has surfaced and yes you guessed it he has changed his story from back circa 9 months ago "they were coerced" to "their story was convincing" all the while laughing during the programme, I notice Michaela has since changed solicitor-the guy was a complete liability; no sign of her on his website either; I suppose a greedy drug mule doesn't quite cut the mustard as an international human rights case
    4 I do feel sorry for her mother, she has been through a lot
    5. the dumbass brother who came on here and facebook threatening people who dared to not to believe the concocted story that was being floated about was kept out of the documentary; I distinctly remember him trying to have a go at me and he just made an ass of himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Apologies if already posted, but this writer for the Belfast Telegraph isn't too happy about being lied to it by McCollum it appears. The article in the link below is quite long, I've only copied a piece of it across, but it also contains text messages that McCollum and Reid exchanged and is an interesting read:

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sunday-life/news/michaella-mccollum-finally-admits-she-smuggled-cocaine-into-peru-and-made-up-kidnapping-story-after-being-left-homeless-in-ibiza-30411007.html
    Michaella is expert in lies and self-pity

REVELATIONS that Michaella McCollum did in fact smuggle cocaine for cash will come as a shock to no-one — least of all, me.

I visited the drugs mule inside Virgen de Fatima prison last December, and her tear-filled account of how Colombian drug lords had held a gun to her head and forced her on a plane was as unconvincing in person as it was hearing it on the news.

Now we know the young nightclub dancer for what she really is, a self-pitying liar who thought she could pull the wool over everyone’s eyes.

She thought that by playing the victim, with a fantastical account of how a criminal gang threatened to kill her and track down her family, would in some way excuse the despicable deal she and Melissa Reid willingly went into. How wrong she was.

Unknown to me, by the time I met Michaella last year, she had already secretly confessed to Peruvian prosecutors the real story of the Peru 2.

They were not kidnapped, they were not threatened and they were not forced. They did it for the cold, hard cash.

And in those three-and-a-half hours I spent with her under a prison yard parasol in the Peruvian sun, she told lie, after lie after lie.

“I keep thinking, what if? What if I hadn’t stayed late after work, or stayed for those last few drinks? I was working in Ushuaia dancing and I met a few people who I had been hanging out with since June,” she told me, insincerely, as she looked to the floor.

“We went to a house party and one of the guys that I had been partying with had just come back from Barcelona with his girlfriend.

“They said they were going back to Barcelona tomorrow, and asked me did I want to go. My passport was taken off me and I was told I was going to Majorca, not Barcelona.”

Lies.

“Then we were taken to a house, they were all in their 40s and looked like gangsters. The Colombian... kept touching my face and calling me princess. All of them kept saying to us that we had to go and do a job for them and there was no turning back now.”

More lies.

“One of the men showed me pictures of my sister and brother. I knew then they got the pictures off Facebook, but that scared me because you can get so much from Facebook.”

Even more lies.

And finally: “We were too scared to tell anyone.” Lies, lies, lies.

Though an initial admission of guilt may not have garnered much more sympathy, holding their hands up, and saying, “We made a mistake” would have been much more admirable than the stream of lies which they thought would not only fool police, but their friends, their family, and even us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,005 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

the only sympathy I have hear is with her Mother. The sister even seemed oblivious to the seriousness of the crime "i refuse to judge her" despite what was was an overwhelming trail of guilt. If I was a sibling I'd be very much judging her for what she put her mother and the family through. She willingly allowed herself to be a drugs mule for her own gain. A criminal. On return to Ireland would she have brought back a taste for easy money ? and work in the dark world where lives mean nothing and greed is king ?

It was good to see RTE not playing up the poor wee Irish girl misery card. You can't help but feel sorry for the sister and mother but it was Michaela who has made them share her sentence. She was the one who took off to Ibiza for a summer of sex and drugs and bangin choons without a care for her family. She was so full of herself, she thought she was a model, a dancer, a high life socialite when in reality she was a failed promo girl who thought she deserved an easy route to the glamorous celeb lifestyle thanks to her average looks.

I think the program sent out the message to anyone else who might be tempted that they will be branded a complete moron and will seriously hurt the ones who really love them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Paully D wrote: »
    Apologies if already posted, but this writer for the Belfast Telegraph isn't too happy about being lied to it by McCollum it appears. The article in the link below is quite long, I've only copied a piece of it across, but it also contains text messages that McCollum and Reid exchanged and is an interesting read:

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sunday-life/news/michaella-mccollum-finally-admits-she-smuggled-cocaine-into-peru-and-made-up-kidnapping-story-after-being-left-homeless-in-ibiza-30411007.html

2 liars, in prison. Good enough for em.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

greenflash wrote: »
    It was good to see RTE not playing up the poor wee Irish girl misery card. You can't help but feel sorry for the sister and mother but it was Michaela who has made them share her sentence. She was the one who took off to Ibiza for a summer of sex and drugs and bangin choons without a care for her family. She was so full of herself, she thought she was a model, a dancer, a high life socialite when in reality she was a failed promo girl who thought she deserved an easy route to the glamorous celeb lifestyle thanks to her average looks.

I think the program sent out the message to anyone else who might be tempted that they will be branded a complete moron and will seriously hurt the ones who really love them.

In all fairness, why did you have to bring her looks into this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Seemed fairly neutral documentary to me. It just stated what happened one event after the other.

Montroseee wrote: »
    In all fairness, why did you have to bring her looks into this?

That poster like many others here seem to really enjoy sneering at her because she is an alright looking girl and not a sterotypical drug smuggler

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

You're spot on there. Even the bar owner who sacked her after one night said she had zero interest in doing any actual work.

nm wrote: »
    That poster like many others here seem to really enjoy sneering at her because she is an alright looking girl and not a sterotypical drug smuggler

No I'm not sneering in anyway. She tried to use looks to get herself the life she thought she deserved... model, dancer, hostess, whatever. Like so many other young folks these days she obviously overrated herself, her abilities and her looks. When she failed miserably at getting the VIP pass into the superstardjglampartylifestyle she chose to become a drug smuggler then insulted pretty much everyone in the world with her pathetic lies.

When the money her mother was sending ran out or wasn't enough she didn't fancy going home and being ordinary, because she obviously thought too much of herself to lower her life to normal people's levels, and now she's serving her sentence. The desire to live the glam lifestyle stemmed from or started with her attempt to go modelling (reminds me of the sitcom 'Bread'), which requires nothing more than looks.

Edit: and yes she is a stereotypical drug smuggler. She's an idiot like the rest of them.

im pretty pissed also as an aside that my and our taxes payed for consular assistance also for her while she was ****ing lying through her teeth and playing the victim... at least someone else is footing the tab for her hospitality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,253 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Strumms wrote: »
    im pretty pissed also as an aside that my and our taxes payed for consular assistance also for her while she was ****ing lying through her teeth and playing the victim...

well its our job to pay for it, irish citizens are entitled to consular assistance should they need it, non issue

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

well its our job to pay for it, irish citizens are entitled to consular assistance should they need it, non issue

its our job ? where did you pull that horse**** from ? She should have done the decent thing and confessed straight off the bat and done her time. When needed we should pay for it.. not required at all.

Strumms wrote: »
    its our job ? where did you pull that horse**** from ? She should have done the decent thing and confessed straight off the bat and done her time. When needed we should pay for it.. not required at all.
    well it was required and she was entitled to it and got it

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Paully D wrote: »

The butthurt is strong in that reporter - "omg i went to Peru to see them and they lied to me " :
    Unknown to me, by the time I met Michaella last year, she had already secretly confessed to Peruvian prosecutors the real story of the Peru 2.

No I'm not sneering in anyway. She tried to use looks to get herself the life she thought she deserved... model, dancer, hostess, whatever. Like so many other young folks these days she obviously overrated herself, her abilities and her looks. When she failed miserably at getting the VIP pass into the superstardjglampartylifestyle she chose to become a drug smuggler then insulted pretty much everyone in the world with her pathetic lies.

When the money her mother was sending ran out or wasn't enough she didn't fancy going home and being ordinary, because she obviously thought too much of herself to lower her life to normal people's levels, and now she's serving her sentence. The desire to live the glam lifestyle stemmed from or started with her attempt to go modelling (reminds me of the sitcom 'Bread'), which requires nothing more than looks.

Edit: and yes she is a stereotypical drug smuggler. She's an idiot like the rest of them.

She made a stupid mistake and now she's serving the sentence and being punished for for it, end of story.

If all this "With her looks she thought she was better than us normal people, but look at her now, what an idiot" stuff isn't sneering bile than I don't know what is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

She made a stupid mistake and now she's serving the sentence and being punished for for it, end of story.

If all this "With her looks she thought she was better than us normal people, but look at her now, what an idiot" stuff isn't sneering bile than I don't know what is.

It's not sneering bile. It's just a fact. Ibiza is full of girls who overestimate their pulling power, and think they're glamour models and will be able to live that life forever. Michaela is completely stereotypical.....as good looking as 1000 other girls who all think that they have the looks to not have to go home and get a normal job. They are all deluded, and taken advantage of by owners of bars and clubs.

It's not sneering bile. It's just a fact. Ibiza is full of girls who overestimate their pulling power, and think they're glamour models and will be able to live that life forever.

I'm not saying she is a glamour model or saying she deserved to be, but that post I referred to and many others here are 100% the absolute textbook definition of sneering.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

I'm not saying she is a glamour model or saying she deserved to be, but that post I referred to and many others here are 100% the absolute textbook definition of sneering.

Its not really, its a valid point that she "along with many other young ones these days" try to use their looks to get into the "VIP" lifestyle

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

I thought it was a half decent doc.

The fact that they were locked up for a week before they called home was interesting. They really believed that they would be sent home and no one would be the wiser.

Her mother came across well, I do feel sorry for her. Not sure what to make of the sister. She seems a bit delusional in a harmless kind of way.

The story the bar owner told about her night of work that involved sitting there and drinking jaegermeister instead of selling it probably summed her character up best. Wanted to earn money but did not really have the get up and go to actually do something about it and make a proper effort.

Wanted an easy earner, wanted to continue the party as long as possible, did not want to take what legal work was available in Ibiza made her easy prey for the traffickers.

I honestly believe that she is too stupid to realise the full extent of what she was doing. Too stupid not to see thru the lies that were thrown at her. And too stupid to do the right thing when she got caught. Greedy, lazy and stupid. A fine combination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

I'm delighted they both were caught.

The amount of misery 11 kgs of cocaine would spread and they did it for a week in Peru and 5 grand!

They are both *****.

Dermighty wrote: »

The amount of misery 11 kgs of cocaine would spread and they did it for a week in Peru and 5 grand!

They are both *****.

The amount of misery alcohol spreads on a daily basis, but shur tis grand. the takers of coke are fully responsible for their own misery, they chose to take it after all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

A couple of daydreamers. Seduced by the glitzy life and easy money.

But you've got to feel sorry for the parents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Dermighty wrote: »

They are both *****.

Wouldnt be misery be a bit of craic/crack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

She'll be grand when she gets out though. Book deal, Zoo magazine shoot, talk show appearances and the obligatory stint on Celebrity Big Brother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Omackeral wrote: »
    She'll be grand when she gets out though. Book deal, Zoo magazine shoot, talk show appearances and the obligatory stint on Celebrity Big Brother.

Why would she get these offers?
    Who wants to hear the same old lies repeated over in a book?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

blade1 wrote: »
    Why would she get these offers?
    Who wants to hear the same old lies repeated over in a book?

Katie Price aka Jordan has 4 autobiographies. You're underestimating the amount of idiots out there.

Katie Price aka Jordan has 4 autobiographies. You're underestimating the amount of idiots out there.

I believe Jordan has actually put some effort into her 'career', even if that effort went into self-promotion. Yerwan Michaela could not even be bothered getting off her arse to sell Jäger to pissed up holiday makers next to her in a bar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I believe Jordan has actually put some effort into her 'career', even if that effort went into self-promotion. Yerwan Michaela could not even be bothered getting off her arse to sell Jäger to pissed up holiday makers next to her in a bar.

Jordan is a very clever businesswoman

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

The only thing Jordan was ever caught with was 11kgs of breast implants!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

That is not the same thing at all. Jordan is very astute and knows exactly what she is doing in terms of self promotion. Michaela is just some idiot who went to Ibiza and didn't really do much other than get put in the slammer. She is not even particularly good looking and wouldn't stand out from a line up of 500 other similarly Ibiza bound girls this summer.

If there was appetite for a book about that kind of experience, people would have written them and made their fortune already....there have been enough similar situations in the last few years. She won't get paid more than a bit of pocket money for going on some talk show, and people massively overestimate earnings from a book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭buswankers

The story the bar owner told about her night of work that involved sitting there and drinking jaegermeister instead of selling it probably summed her character up best. Wanted to earn money but did not really have the get up and go to actually do something about it and make a proper effort.

I'm not sure whether to believe his story or not.....Obviously it does show her true character, but was it not in this bar that she was supposed to have come in contact with the drug dealer who got them to go on the run in the first place? She hardly met him on the one night she was working if the bar owner is to be believed? It is obviously in his interests to say she was sacked after one night to preserve his own bars image i.e. not a place where drug dealers hang out...
    Just something I took from it, may not be anything to the theory at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I blame reality TV, bear with me. This generation see mind-numbing garbage like Made in Chelsea, Big Brother, Tallafornia etc where morons get their 15 minutes of fame for nothing.

They seem to live some easy life, without having any specific talent or brainpower. WAGs all over the paper and in celebrity versions of reality shows, all on easy street. There are a generation of kids from 15-30 now who grew up with this garbage and think that they are as crazy, good looking or get as drunk and have as much fun as these brainless morons on reality TV and are going around acting the idiot waiting to be "spotted" for their 15 minutes.

Girls like Micheala are 10 a penny. Not good looking enough to be a WAG, so off she goes to San An, thinking life will be easy, boys will buy me drinks, I'll be drunk every night, get a job dancing in a nightclub, living the life etc.

Then reality sinks in, no one buys you as many drinks as you thought they would, there are 100 of clones of you, lots even better looking than you, so getting a job is tough and when you do get one you have to work your arse off. Rent has to be paid. Life is not as easy as reality TV would have you believe.

So you get offered the chance to make some easy money. This will make your summer dream a reality!! Of course I'll go to Peru. No way will I think of the consequences, in my head I'm already back in Ibiza spending the money.

But then it all comes crashing down......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I can't get past the horrendous lump of hair scraped up on top of her head like a skanky minnie mouse, to give a crap about her really.

I blame reality TV, bear with me.
    It's nothing to do with reality tv and everything to do with good old fashioned greed. Drug smuggling has been around a lot longer than reality tv. It was two idiots, who instead of going home when their money ran out, decided to take their chances for a quick buck. They aren't the first and despite the high profile of this case, they won't be the last.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

This post has been deleted.

Who will?

No she's not. Before she went into I'm a Celebrity, she was the trashy glamour model Jordan who bragged about taking a lads virginity when she was five months pregnant :rolleyes: When she came out and was stuck like glue to Peter Andre, it was Claire Powell, head of Can Associates who rebranded Jordan as Katie Price the "respectable" businesswoman.

While she was with Peter, she was an unstoppable money making machine due to Claire's careful management. Since she split with Peter and by default, Claire, she has reverted to trashy Jordan. Her reality tv show tanked and she's become another z-lister who's trainwreck of a personal life is the only thing keeping her in the papers. We've had Alex Reid, Leandro something and now the guy who's name I can't recall. The whole thing unravelled and while she's still in the public eye, I don't think she is making that much money from it.

The same thing happened with Kerry Katona. After she split with Mark, Claire took her under her wing and with careful management, Kerry started to look decent. She split from Claire and reverted back to train wreck Kerry.

The very clever businesswoman is Claire Powell. It's a testament to her skills as a PR agent that people actually believe that Jordan is anything other than an attention seeking narcissist who would sell her kid's souls for a few column inches.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Irish Daily Mirror ‏@IrishMirror 59s
    Drugs mule Michaella McCollum Connolly is to return to Ireland after authorities in Peru accepted a prison transfer request - reports.

Advertisement