Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Peru drug smuggling case - READ OP BEFORE POSTING

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Holsten wrote: »
    Ah I have to again laugh at this entire situation. Even more money spent bringing her back and putting her up.

Release the two of them. Keeping them in prison achieves NOTHING!!

Achieves the complete undermining of internatino justice systems. Why them? Why not just release every prisoner on the planet?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

well its happening, so get over it

And there it is....the internet equivalent of sticking your thumb on your nose, waving around your fingers, and singing nah nah na nah nah

It is happening. You are right. Though probably not for a number of months. And the only reason it is happening is that she is a 'poor wee Irish girl' as someone put it. If it had been a guy he would, rightly, be kicking his heels in a Peruvian prison for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

And there it is....the internet equivalent of sticking your thumb on your nose, waving around your fingers, and singing nah nah na nah nah

It is happening. You are right. Though probably not for a number of months. And the only reason it is happening is that she is a 'poor wee Irish girl' as someone put it. If it had been a guy he would, rightly, be kicking his heels in a Peruvian prison for years.

Agreed. If it was a guy there would be no question of been transferred to an Irish prison .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

They should have left her where she was. I doubt she'll stay in prison once she's back in Northern Ireland. They'll probably let her out on licence or something stupid.

In these situations isn't parole decided by the country where the sentence was passed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Richard wrote: »
    In these situations isn't parole decided by the country where the sentence was passed?
    Yes. You are correct. Another thing to remember is that she is moving from one prison to another. Not as bad a prison, but she would probably be more in the public eye in Ireland than Peru, so might get more of a hard time from the inmates here than over there.
    Not that I care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

pablo128 wrote: »
    Yes. You are correct. Another thing to remember is that she is moving from one prison to another. Not as bad a prison, but she would probably be more in the public eye in Ireland than Peru, so might get more of a hard time from the inmates here than over there.
    Not that I care.

Lolz! You care enough to take the time to write in this thread!

Lolz! You care enough to take the time to write in this thread!
    What I mean is, if the news headline tomorrow morning read 'Peru drug smuggler gets beaten up in jail', I'd probably laugh. If the headline read, 'Peru drug smuggler beats someone up in jail', I'd probably laugh at that too.
    Like I said, I don't care what happens to the pair of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

I'm glad they got out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭JerCotter7

With corruption in Peru, corrupt couldn't they have bought parole from the prison and did a runner? Thought I heard an interview of a guy who did that when this story was around first. He only did a year. Released a book too. Why would Peru give a **** now if they get early parole? They don't have to pay.

Or was I having very vivid dreams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,253 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

What I mean is, if the news headline tomorrow morning read 'Peru drug smuggler gets beaten up in jail', I'd probably laugh. If the headline read, 'Peru drug smuggler beats someone up in jail', I'd probably laugh at that too.
    Like I said, I don't care what happens to the pair of them.
    all the while you probably take the all be it legal drug alcohol?

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Advertisement

all the while you probably take the all be it legal drug alcohol?
    I don't see how you got that from my post. But if it makes you feel any better, I have taken Cannabis, Ecstasy, Speed, Heroin, Cocaine, Crack, Codeine, Salvia, and probably some others I've forgotten. And alcohol.
    I still don't give a sh1te what happens to the two of them really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

I don't see how you got that from my post. But if it makes you feel any better, I have taken Cannabis, Ecstasy, Speed, Heroin, Cocaine, Crack, Codeine, Salvia, and probably some others I've forgotten. And alcohol.

your no better than them. contributing to the illigal drugs trade that brings misery to millions of people every year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

Holsten wrote: »
    Ah I have to again laugh at this entire situation. Even more money spent bringing her back and putting her up.

Release the two of them. Keeping them in prison achieves NOTHING!!

Why not empty all the prisons? You silly silly sausage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

your no better than them. contributing to the illigal drugs trade that brings misery to millions of people every year.

And that trade should certainly be kept illegal, because that's working so well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

And that trade should certainly be kept illegal, because that's working so well.

And that's a reason to make it legal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

I am pie wrote: »
    Legalisation is a libertarian favourite as it allows corporations to license and sell these "products" and promote their use. Let's not imagine for a second that if we legalised heroin it would only be presribed via pharmacies...it would be promoted and sold. Addicts would be created.

Decriminalisation and regulation, and I don't see a world where heroin is ever 'promoted'. Even alcohol and cigarettes can't be promoted anymore so suggesting heroin would be if it were to be decriminalised is tabloid style sensationalism.
    I am pie wrote: »
    As with all libertarian ideas the loser is generally society and big business is the winner.

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

It's reason enough to review the whole state of affairs and if needs be, take a new approach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Yes. It being illegal in no way restricts supply, and drives prices up. These inflated costs put more and more money in the hands of violent criminals.

All drugs should be legalised, taxed and regulated - lowering prices and taking income away from criminals.

The argument of 'but then everyone will take drugs!!' has been proven false by Portugal, where posession of Class A drugs for personal use has not been prosecuted, for some ten years now. Consumption of Class A drugs has dropped in that time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭blade1

So, you think he should spend 6 years in Jail because he took some drugs?:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,253 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

the illigal drugs trade that brings misery to millions of people every year.

just like alcohol

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Yes. It being illegal in no way restricts supply, and drives prices up. These inflated costs put more and more money in the hands of violent criminals.

All drugs should be legalised, taxed and regulated - lowering prices and taking income away from criminals.

The argument of 'but then everyone will take drugs!!' has been proven false by Portugal, where posession of Class A drugs for personal use has not been prosecuted, for some ten years now. Consumption of Class A drugs has dropped in that time.

If I remember correctly less dutch people smoke grass on a regular basis than americans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Grayson wrote: »
    If I remember correctly less dutch people smoke grass on a regular basis than americans.

Why would Dutch people smoke Americans ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

Both women are still hoping to be transferred home through Britain's extradition treaty with Peru. But Melissa's father Billy said: "This is great in that it's another route for her to come home. It's also positive in that she wouldn't have to do any time over here, or, we understand, have a criminal record." -

WOw, no criminal record!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

Amazingfun wrote: »
    WOw, no criminal record!

Criminal record is no problem when you can live off the film rights to your story...

Friends of mine on holiday have been offered work on set as extras.

Apparently Yasmin Paige is playing the role of Michaella and Sacha Parkinson has reportedly been named to play the part of Melissa Reid.

Damien Molony also appears. Filming is now under way in Morocco.

Slated for release in July next year, my guess it will be held back to coincide with their release if this is now to be in November.

I wonder what the film will be called...? Anyone like to make suggestions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Nomis21 wrote: »

Stupidheads?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

lol....

LIAR LIAR ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Prosecutors revealed the encounter came as McCollum Connolly's dreams of becoming a nightclub dancer were left shattered after bar owners told her she did not have enough experience.

Lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭greenflash

Apparently Yasmin Paige is playing the role of Michaella and Sacha Parkinson has reportedly been named to play the part of Melissa Reid.

Just looked up Sacha Parkinson - that's an extremely kind bit of casting
    Dumb and Dumber

Interestingly, she'll more than likely spend longer behind bars in the North than she would have in Peru. The Peruvian prison must be a right sh1thole.

Ah she'll be alright. she'll do her time, get out, and make a few bob from interviews and maybe a tv appearance or two. I don't thnk she'll be going on any sun holidays for a while though!

They featured on Brits behind Bars in October.
    They got jobs in Prison as hairdressers.
    Apparrantly all the inmates are going around with a big bun on their heads!:pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Apparently it's being held up due to a series of strikes and court backlogs in Peru, but they will eventually be repatriated due to their "model" behaviour.

More here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Wilberto wrote: »
    Apparently it's being held up due to a series of strikes and court backlogs in Peru, but they will eventually be repatriated due to their "model" behaviour.

More here.

Hold on a minute...what's all this....?
    The two Brits would be much better off being expelled than transferred as that way the will not have to serve out the rest of their sentence.”

Shurely shome mishtake...?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭greenflash

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Hold on a minute...what's all this....?

Shurely shome mishtake...?

Surely is when according to popular opinion, the Brits only claim a Paddy when they do well for themselves. They have no right to claim the world's worst drug mule/liar/waitress/hostess/dancer/hairdresser... etc

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

So, has the process of repatriating Michaela to serve the remainder of her sentence in NI even begun?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I don't think there's any material in the story for even a film or book for them to cash in on when they return home, it's a tale of 2 thick people being thick.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    So, has the process of repatriating Michaela to serve the remainder of her sentence in NI even begun?

Well it sure has in the Irish Independent.....

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/irish-abroad/jailed-drug-mule-michaela-mccollum-connolly-struck-by-tropical-illness-in-peruvian-jail-34336440.html
    The woman, originally from Dungannon, was arrested in September 2013 with Melissa Reid, from Scotland, when the pair were caught trying to board a flight to Madrid with :eek:11kg of cocaine in their bags.:eek:

In old money thats...24Lbs....a dozen 2lb bags of sugar.

One other little item struck a chord with me also....
    McCollum Connolly should have spent Christmas back in Northern Ireland after being cleared to leave prison in November – red tape has delayed her release.

Under Peruvian law, McCollum Connolly and Reid are free to walk free from prison having served a third of their sentence.

I was under the impression that Peru's judicial system was oppressive,cruel and unyielding etc etc....and now we learn it's just like our own......Remission after serving a third of sentence.....sheesh...some cruelty that alright...:rolleyes:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,266 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Well it sure has in the Irish Independent.....

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/irish-abroad/jailed-drug-mule-michaela-mccollum-connolly-struck-by-tropical-illness-in-peruvian-jail-34336440.html

In old money thats...24Lbs....a dozen 2lb bags of sugar.

One other little item struck a chord with me also....

I was under the impression that Peru's judicial system was oppressive,cruel and unyielding etc etc....and now we learn it's just like our own......Remission after serving a third of sentence.....sheesh...some cruelty that alright...:rolleyes:
    how did you get that impression it's been the same story since they were arrested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Soooooo.... one Being Irish and all she had 50 odd visits from the consular ? Don't remember this being discussed in the dail either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

between this girl , the lad out in Egypt, TV3 could make a mini-series

Paddies banged out abroad, or something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Drugs mule Michaella McCollum Connolly 'suffering from tropical disease' in Peruvian jail

Michaela in hospital at the moment :

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/drugs-mule-michaella-mccollum-connolly-7118442

blade1 wrote: »
    I don't believe it!

Why ever not...?
    "We really hope she is ok. This [illness] is pretty regular in here, especially with the foreigners."

Why ever not...?

Not sure if you are joking or not!

Going by all the lies so far,I wouldn't be surprised if it's another attempt to hoodwink everyone so they'll have sympathy for her.

• Advertisement
Advertisement