Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Peru drug smuggling case - READ OP BEFORE POSTING

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

That I fully agree with, ironically she is now set up for life if she plays her cards right. I don't blame her - what else would she do.

Become an air hostess ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

Prison seems to have helped her appearance in this picture taken today...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

Nomis21 wrote: »

Yeah she's going for the young soccer mom look

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Is sniffing it the only way people do cocaine?

Some people mix it with sodium bicarbonate and bake it to make a smokeable substance which I hear is very moreish

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Nomis21 wrote: »

Her jacket's made out of pure Peruvian coke.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Tigger wrote: »
    She wasn't gonna make millions off being a mule
    It's was Coke I thought ? That's a party drug not Heroin.
    The difference between Cocaine and Crack Cocaine is that a rich person gets rehab for the former and a poor person got a mandatory 5 year sentence in the US of A. "Fair Sentencing" now means that there is no longer a 100:1 bias. Now its 18:1 , but only at a federal level.
    while African-American defendants account for roughly 80% of those arrested for crack-related offenses, public health data has found that two-thirds of crack cocaine users are white or Hispanic. ... the Act does not reduce sentences for those prosecuted under state law, and state prosecutions account for a vast majority of incarcerations for drug-related offenses

While I find the whole thing leads a bad taste in my mouth
    you're only supposed to rub it on your gums like detectives do in the films :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Next stop: Celebrity Big Brother.

Any chance of a social media campaign to make the Peruvian government keep her behind bars until she completes her sentence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

CaraMay wrote: »
    She'll probably run for Sinn Fein when she gets back to Norn Iron.

It's far more likely that she'll get a job in RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

That I fully agree with, ironically she is now set up for life if she plays her cards right. I don't blame her - what else would she do.

Your choice of words reminded me of the old to series Play your Cards Right.

She could get a job turning the huge oversized cards. She looks a lot better blond I have to add.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

Falthyron wrote: »

Any chance of a social media campaign to make the Peruvian government keep her behind bars until she completes her sentence?

Wow - nasty.

• Advertisement

Great idea

LorMal wrote: »
    Wow - nasty.

Opportunistic drug smugglers should be given an easy ride? Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Allyall wrote: »
    It's far more likely that she'll get a job in RTE.

As long as she knows, it's nothing to be sniffed at!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭Juan8

The difference between Cocaine and Crack Cocaine is that a rich person gets rehab for the former and a poor person got a mandatory 5 year sentence in the US of A. "Fair Sentencing" now means that there is no longer a 100:1 bias. Now its 18:1 , but only at a federal level.

you're only supposed to rub it on your gums like detectives do in the films :pac:

Saw a show not too long ago about the different sentences in America for powder cocaine and crack, crazy the way it was allowed be 100:1 for so long,

Who whole show was about how black people in America are sentenced more harshly and that was the key one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

I watched that "the house I live in " doc the other day
    It's very interesting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Speaking about her decision to smuggle drugs, she said; “If the drugs had of got back [to Europe] what could have happened, I probably would have had a lot of blood on my hands,” she said. “I potentially could have filled Europe full of a lot of drugs.
    “I could have potentially killed a lot of people, not directly but I could have caused a lot of harm to
    But I'm not a bad person

She's an absolute scumbag that should not have been allowed out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

Opportunistic drug smugglers should be given an easy ride? Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

I did not suggest giving her an 'easy ride'. She was punished for what she did. Her family suffered terribly. Your glib little motto is meaningless and callous.

I did not suggest giving her an 'easy ride'. She was punished for what she did. Her family suffered terribly. Your glib little motto is meaningless and callous.

No it's not. It's valid and pertinent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Heat_Wave

It says the interview is at 9.30 tonight, but when you go on to the RTE guide is says some documentary about Brian Lenihan is on at that time?

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Orielle

McCollum....who originally looked like Minnie Mouse with that ridiculous double bun....has now got sleek blonde hair....and says she was very naive....She has caused untold misery with her drug smuggling....and should have got at least 25 years in prison....Sure ...we all make mistakes...but we don't smuggle drugs...She is an idiot...and must stay in Peru for a while....I hope she is treated
    as befits her crime....who wants her back here....she's a disgrace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Juan8 wrote: »
    Well you're talking about drug users getting AID's and Hepatitis B in a thread about cocaine, where is the relevance if you're not talking about cocaine

It doesn't matter what you assume someone else was talking about, just don't do it. It doesn't matter what you figure is the "relevance", even if that were the case. The fact is that cocaine is a gateway drug etc., but even if it wasn't, please don't put in quotation marks because the whole point of quotation marks is to get the exact quote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Just watched the interview and thought that she spoke well. She explained herself and was very articulate but I think she should have shown a bit more remorse and emotion.

Maybe she is struggling to show emotion having had to lock it down for the past 2 years but felt that she seemed a little too relaxed about it all.

I do hope that she has learned a lot from this and can put it to good use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

Totally agree. Any word if RTE are paying her for the pleasure of this interview? If they are i'm going to do something i've never done before and make a written complaint to my National broadcaster as i don't pay my television license for the scum of the earth to make a few quid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Hope she gets a good book deal and got well paid for the interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

She spoke well but this whole I was naive thing is a bit much... Nobody could be that naive.. She is probably going to make money out of these interviews which I think is disgraceful... If she's really sorry shell donate to good causes

Jayop wrote: »
    Hope she gets a good book deal and got well paid for the interview.

Who's gonna buy it?... There's hundreds of similar books out there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

Ummmmm...

Era she didn't kill anyone/rape anyone.

She attempted to smuggle drugs - hardly crime of the century - she has done her time and hopefully she can move on now and learn from her mistake.

I might have a different view on drugs too others - hence I don't think she exactly is evil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

It's quite amusing reading old comments from people so guillible who actually believed her bullsh*t story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭whatawaster81

The real scumbag are the dealers who talked a naive, vulnerable 19 year old into smuggling drugs in the first place. She's done her time and I hope she moves on with her life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

She done the crime & done the time. She was young & deserves a second chance. She made a mistake.

Ummmmm...

Era she didn't kill anyone/rape anyone.

She attempted to smuggle drugs - hardly crime of the century - she has done her time and hopefully she can move on now and learn from her mistake.

I might have a different view on drugs too others - hence I don't think she exactly is evil.

Tend to agree, scum of the earth etc etc is a tad harsh... Its not the worst crime ever

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

She was obviously manipulated and pressurized into the crime, still an incredible foolish crime to commit but the way people are acting on this she was running the drug cartel in Peru

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Michaela was a very naive young girl who made a very stupid decision. She now realises the consequences of her actions and deserves to move on with her life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

The real scumbag are the dealers who talked a naive, vulnerable 19 year old into smuggling drugs in the first place. She's done her time and I hope she moves on with her life.

It was alleged that she was dealing in Ibiza. Dealing and partying so hard that she ended up owning money to these dealers. She took an option to make some easy cash, to call her naive is, quite frankly, absurd.

She knew exactly what she was doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

I thought you could see her nervousness and that she was trying to control her emotions. She's damned it she does or doesn't really. If she'd cried her eyes out, people would be accusing her of turning on the water works. I believe that she didn't realise the magnitude of what she was agreeing to.

She messed up. She admits she messed up. There is a good chance that had she been older and there with a group of mates from home she wouldn't have messed up. She's paid a big price and isn't home free yet.

Good luck to her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Why are RTE interviewing her

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Why are RTE interviewing her

Tabloidy tv at its worst. Wouldn't mind so much if it were TV3 or if they included a small part in a proper documentary as her "side". Just to give the perfunctory "i didn't know anything" part of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

This girl is a proven liar. Why are RTE giving her airtime to tell more lies.

Why would a young girl go to Ibiza on her own?

Heat_Wave wrote: »

What does that mean?
    Lots of young people travel alone.
    Lots of young people go to Europe for the summer.
    What are you trying to say?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

To sell a ****load of drugs.

bubblypop wrote: »
    What does that mean?
    Lots of young people travel alone.
    Lots of young people go to Europe for the summer.
    What are you trying to say?

Lol relax. What an over reaction.

It is not unusual for a young girl to go travelling on her own, but to go to Ibiza yes, that is 'unusual'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

It was alleged that she was dealing in Ibiza. Dealing and partying so hard that she ended up owning money to these dealers. She took an option to make some easy cash, to call her naive is, quite frankly, absurd.

She knew exactly what she was doing.

So,Father...is it therefore possible that any debt she amassed in Ibiza is still out there,unpaid...?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Lol relax. What an over reaction.

It is not unusual for a young girl to go travelling on her own, but to go to Ibiza yes, that is 'unusual'.

I know plenty of young girls & guys that went to Ibiza for a summer.
    Judge much??

"Her family suffered terribly"? What does that have to do with anything? What about all the families who lose kids to drugs because of mules like her? She wanted to make a lot of money and was stupid enough to try and move 11kgs of cocaine. She was opportunistic, greedy, selfish, careless, and reckless. Just like this interview and the many to come, she is out to make money and will sell her story to whoever will pay for it.

If she wanted to 'make amends' and 'prove she is a good person', she could do that after serving her full term, just like Ms. Reid and any other drug mule who thinks they can make a quick buck pushing substances that can kill.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

I have to admit she looks well for someone who just spent 2 years in a so called hellhole. Much better than when she went in looking like a Disney fan club.

Her whole story sounds so truthful and legit. Great interview.. She was actually concerned with the poor saps tooting the White back here if she had of succeeded in bringing the keys over to Europe. She could have ruined lives.

Where can I buy her exciting book???

"Her family suffered terribly"? What does that have to do with anything? What about all the families who lose kids to drugs because of mules like her? She wanted to make a lot of money and was stupid enough to try and move 11kgs of cocaine. She was opportunistic, greedy, selfish, careless, and reckless. Just like this interview and the many to come, she is out to make money and will sell her story to whoever will pay for it.

If she wanted to 'make amends' and 'prove she is a good person', she could do that after serving her full term, just like Ms. Reid and any other drug mule who thinks they can make a quick buck pushing substances that can kill.

No, no, we have to take a person's family into account when sentencing. "The judge took into consideration the defendant's early guilty plea, his cooperation with the authorities and the fact that his mother would miss him in his sentence". The poor family's suffering!

No, no, we have to take a person's family into account when sentencing. "The judge took into consideration the defendant's early guilty plea, his cooperation with the authorities and the fact that his mother would miss him in his sentence". The poor family's suffering!

Lest we forget the lies she told about her family before coming clean about the whole job. She didn't seem to care that much about her family then... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

do people not think it is a little strange for family to be ok with a 20 year old heading off to work somewhere in Europe for 2 months on their own , I'm a young person and I think it is strange .

do people not think it is a little strange for family to be ok with a 20 year old heading off to work somewhere in Europe for 2 months on their own , I'm a young person and I think it is strange .

No, any amount of teenagers/ early 20's go off to Europe working for the summer.
    You should try it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement