Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Peru drug smuggling case - READ OP BEFORE POSTING

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭AryaStark

He most fun is their frantic deluded f&f 's pretending it dosn't matter & they're lovely gals just a bit of holiday fun - they're in for a big reality check once they're forced to climb out from under that rock. Conviced criminals now - branded for life.
    We have the spent convictions bill here now so once they dont reoffend then they will be clear in about 5 years. People will soon forget and stop judging them.

I find it mad how much hate people have for them. They were young and messed up and will get over it. Everyone else should too!

CaraMay wrote: »
    Agreed but facilitated by people who brought drugs into the country.

People bring drugs into the country because there is demand for them.

People have to take responsibility for their own actions.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

armaghlad wrote: »
    A flight to Ibiza isn't expensive, especially off peak (usually very cheap outbound; return flight is usually dearer in my experience). Accommodation in Ibiza can also be dirt cheap for those seeking a working holiday. I wouldn't bat an eyelid over the sectarianism - it happens regularly where Catholics are quietly asked to leave and foreign nationals not so quietly.

I agree in that I think she is desperate to change people's opinion of her. Though I don't think there is anything she could have done that still wouldn't have seen her vilified.

I must have a different interpretation though of Belfast so. But how would a single girl in an apartment going about her daily business just be randomly approached and told to leave the city? It doesnt make sense to me, at all.

She left for Ibiza in peak time, summer. If she could afford to do that, then how could she not afford any sort of living arrangements in Northern Ireland. It just doesnt make sense to me. Now granted, if she said she left because she wanted to get away or to find work or whatever, then fair enough. But no, she said she left because she couldnt afford a deposit.

If she did nothing, if she just got out of jail, served her parole and gone home, then that would have served her far better. It's what 99% of all guilty prisoners do. Most dont get out of jail after being 100% guilty and keep feeling sorry for themselves and trying to court as much publicity as possible to try convince people who by and large will never meet her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

i'd be fairly sure RTÉ courted her, and on the basis of the interest on this thread alone, it's not difficult to see why.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

Allyall wrote: »
    I've read books written with less content. That story reached quite far, and at the very least, she is also well known in the UK.

Is she, though? And as I'm sure you're well aware, she's legally not allowed to profit from her crimes in the UK so all this talk of book deals and Celebrity Big Brother is hyperbole from people who don't know any better but can't help fantasising and then getting outraged at their own fantasies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

AryaStark wrote: »
    People bring drugs into the country because there is demand for them.

People have to take responsibility for their own actions.

Which she hasn't done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,396 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Is she, though? And as I'm sure you're well aware, she's legally not allowed to profit from her crimes in the UK so all this talk of book deals and Celebrity Big Brother is hyperbole from people who don't know any better but can't help fantasising and then getting outraged at their own fantasies.

She didnt commit any crimes in the UK though so does this apply?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,068 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

She looked exactly as i'd expect for someone just out of a Peruvian prison.

Not really though

I know little about her case and didn't watch the interview.

But she admitted her part in drug trafficking, should the country she was heading to not seek her arrest and extradition to them for conspiracy to import drugs? Maybe there's a jurisdiction issue as she didn't actually get there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

bruschi wrote: »
    I must have a different interpretation though of Belfast so. But how would a single girl in an apartment going about her daily business just be randomly approached and told to leave the city? It doesnt make sense to me, at all.
    Loyalist areas of Belfast tend to be incredibly insular. I know girls (Catholic) who have had to make up names and lie about where they're from so as to avoid any hassle. Donegall Road, Sandy Row, Donegall Pass, just some examples. Granted, foreign nationals seem to get the brunt of it these days. Any slight misdemeanour (ie being Catholic) though and you're out. I was in a house on the Donegall Road last year. A girl was murdered and left in a dumpster in the alleyway behind it because the locals thought she was a Catholic. That's the kind of areas we're talking here.

She left for Ibiza in peak time, summer. If she could afford to do that, then how could she not afford any sort of living arrangements in Northern Ireland. It just doesnt make sense to me. Now granted, if she said she left because she wanted to get away or to find work or whatever, then fair enough. But no, she said she left because she couldnt afford a deposit.
    Yeah you could argue that. Flights are still relatively cheap though. Around £100 one way in July. A deposit in Belfast will cost you more than that. It's usually a month's rent. I can see why she probably said "**** it, Ibiza it is!", she'd be better off just stating so to the press if that was the case.
    If she did nothing, if she just got out of jail, served her parole and gone home, then that would have served her far better. It's what 99% of all guilty prisoners do. Most dont get out of jail after being 100% guilty and keep feeling sorry for themselves and trying to court as much publicity as possible to try convince people who by and large will never meet her.
    I dunno. She obviously feels some need to address the public. She's almost a hate figure though; very few are sympathising with her, regardless of how she has come across since being released on parole. Probably best that kept her head down but I don't think she is actively trying to make a "celeb" career out of all this. Probably somewhere in the middle ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,741 ✭✭✭✭ted1

baldbear wrote: »
    I don't think she has changed one bit. she seemed to play the poor vulnerable me card alot.

She never mentioned lying her ass off about a gun been put to her head & her family been threatened.

Also, she gave a half assed excuse for leaving the North. She alluded to sectarianism.

I wonder does her convicted drug dealing ex have more information ?

Sectarianism, is that the new word for debts to dealers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

I'd say the majority of the hate towards her are coming from people who have put coke up their noses at some point.
    She got caught, done her time and now has to live with whingers at her for the rest of her life, as if she's worse than a paedo or rapist.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

armaghlad wrote: »
    Loyalist areas of Belfast tend to be incredibly insular. I know girls (Catholic) who have had to make up names and lie about where they're from so as to avoid any hassle. Donegall Road, Sandy Row, Donegall Pass, just some examples. Granted, foreign nationals seem to get the brunt of it these days. Any slight misdemeanour (ie being Catholic) though and you're out. I was in a house on the Donegall Road last year. A girl was murdered and left in a dumpster in the alleyway behind it because the locals thought she was a Catholic. That's the kind of areas we're talking here.

Yeah you could argue that. Flights are still relatively cheap though. Around £100 one way in July. A deposit in Belfast will cost you more than that. It's usually a month's rent. I can see why she probably said "**** it, Ibiza it is!", she'd be better off just stating so to the press if that was the case.

I dunno. She obviously feels some need to address the public. She's almost a hate figure though; very few are sympathising with her, regardless of how she has come across since being released on parole. Probably best that kept her head down but I don't think she is actively trying to make a "celeb" career out of all this. Probably somewhere in the middle ground.

I'll take your word on the goings on in Belfast, I never lived there so it's not for me to speculate. It just seems odd to me, considering what she was alleged to have been doing in Ibiza and what she ended up being sent to jail for seems highly suspicious and could be reason for speculation.

I have damn all sympathy for her either. I wouldnt say I hate her though, or anything close to it. I think she is foolish and is still acting foolish. Plus, I didnt think there was anything genuine in what she said in her interview. It all seemed forced and staged and she is obviously still embellishing facts about the whole thing.

It seems the interview has not done what she expected it to do given the public reaction to it since it showed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

bruschi wrote: »
    I'll take your word on the goings on in Belfast, I never lived there so it's not for me to speculate. It just seems odd to me, considering what she was alleged to have been doing in Ibiza and what she ended up being sent to jail for seems highly suspicious and could be reason for speculation.

I have damn all sympathy for her either. I wouldnt say I hate her though, or anything close to it. I think she is foolish and is still acting foolish. Plus, I didnt think there was anything genuine in what she said in her interview. It all seemed forced and staged and she is obviously still embellishing facts about the whole thing.

It seems the interview has not done what she expected it to do given the public reaction to it since it showed.
    I certainly don't think she's been entirely genuine in her interview; but I'm not going to hold that against her. In many ways she is incredibly lucky. I hope she realises this and moves on. I honestly don't care if she makes money from selling her story or not.

VinLieger wrote: »
    She didnt commit any crimes in the UK though so does this apply?

Yes, of course. It's against the law for any person or media establishment to give her money for her story or to reward her in any way for having committed a crime.

fatknacker wrote: »
    I'd say the majority of the hate towards her are coming from people who have put coke up their noses at some point.
    She got caught, done her time and now has to live with whingers at her for the rest of her life, as if she's worse than a paedo or rapist.

That's some grade A apologist, straw man, bulls1t.

Can you point out where anyone said she was worse than a paedo or rapist?

People are mainly pissed about the attention she is getting and the fact she is admitting she lied about everything yet still trying to play the innocent victim card

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Yes, of course. It's against the law for any person or media establishment to give her money for her story or to reward her in any way for having committed a crime.
    What law?

Sounds very implausible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Yes, she is. Both of them were headlines on nearly every newspaper and channel for about a week and remained in the news for over a month.
    What conditions of her parole did you read? Because afaik they haven't decided any yet.

As for "She's legally not allowed to profit from her crimes in the UK"..... Well... That's pretty much true of everywhere in the World. They're also legally not allowed to commit them.

Don't know who mentioned a book deal or celebrity big brother, nor do I know of any people that get enraged by their fantasies, so I can't comment on either of those.

? Link?

That's some grade A apologist, straw man, bulls1t.

Can you point out where anyone said she was worse than a paedo or rapist?

People are mainly pissed about the attention she is getting and the fact she is admitting she lied about everything yet still trying to play the innocent victim card

Can you point out where I said anyone said that? She's getting treated as if she is, in my opinion. I don't care about drug smugglers in society...because I and I'd wager most people have taken drugs.
    I think sex offenders are way bigger threats.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Phoebas wrote: »
    What law?

Sounds very implausible.

They are referring to the Son of Sam law which is not applicable in Peru.

Yes, she is. Both of them were headlines on nearly every newspaper and channel for about a week and remained in the news for over a month.

And she profited from that, did she? She can give interviews, the papers can report, but they're not allowed to pay her.
    What conditions of her parole did you read? Because afaik they haven't decided any yet.

...huh? What is this in response to? You must have my post mixed up with someone else's.
    As for "She's legally not allowed to profit from her crimes in the UK"..... Well... That's pretty much true of everywhere in the World. They're also legally not allowed to commit them.

I'm so confused, it seemed like you were disgreeing with me but here we are.
    Don't know who mentioned a book deal or celebrity big brother, nor do I know of any people that get enraged by their fantasies, so I can't comment on either of those.

A lot of people have mentioned it. Like yourself, for example, right here.
    It seems most people that are annoyed, are annoyed that she did the crime, served 2½ years, gets released, and our state broadcaster is the first one to throw money at her for an interview.
    She's going to make quite a lot of money being interviewed and maybe a book as if she's some sort of role model.

It would almost make it worth it.

? Link?

Certainly. Here's why she can't do Celebrity Big Brother or get paid for interviews in the UK: http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/broadcasting/broadcast-codes/broadcast-code/crime/ and here's why she can't make money from a book in the UK: http://www.criminallawandjustice.co.uk/features/Coroners-and-Justice-Act-2009

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Credit to this girl. She done her time, learned a lesson and has come out looking a million dollars. All the best to her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Credit to this girl. She done her time, learned a lesson and has come out looking a million dollars. All the best to her.

2 years 8 months for 11kg of Coke? That's not really 'doing her time', but the system let her out so no arguments there.

Try that in Thailand and see where it gets you. I visit inmates in Bangkwang Prison (Bangkok). One pen-pal of mine, a guy from Australia is in there for life for trying to export 450g of Heroin. He was sentenced to death, reduced to life on guilty plea.

I've been around the prison (I had to pretend I was a journalist); not a nice place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

JohnCleary wrote: »
    2 years 8 months for 11kg of Coke? That's not really 'doing her time', but the system let her out so no arguments there.

Try that in Thailand and see where it gets you. I visit inmates in Bangkwang Prison (Bangkok). One pen-pal of mine, a guy from Australia is in there for life for trying to export 450g of Heroin. He was sentenced to death, reduced to life on guilty plea.

I've been around the prison (I had to pretend I was a journalist); not a nice place.

There will always be places more backwards than others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,531 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Disappointed to see those involved in the drug trade glamorised by our State broadcaster.

• Advertisement

You have ridiculously selective reading and responding. More so than I've ever seen.
    And she profited from that, did she? She can give interviews, the papers can report, but they're not allowed to pay her.
    I never said she profited from the newspaper headlines 2 and 1/2 years ago. I was stating that she would be well known in the UK. Both would.
    ...huh? What is this in response to? You must have my post mixed up with someone else's.
    Nope. You said she cannot profit from her crimes in the UK. She hasn't been given her terms, you cannot know that.
    I'm so confused, it seemed like you were disgreeing with me but here we are.
    Again. You said "She's legally not allowed to profit from her crimes in the UK". Nobody is allowed to profit from their crimes, or commit them. That's why they're called "Crimes".
    A lot of people have mentioned it. Like yourself, for example, right here.
    You actually quoted my post and still managed to read it wrong. Where do I mention a book deal or Big Brother?
    Certainly. Here's why she can't do Celebrity Big Brother or get paid for interviews in the UK: http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/broadcasting/broadcast-codes/broadcast-code/crime/ and here's why she can't make money from a book in the UK: http://www.criminallawandjustice.co.uk/features/Coroners-and-Justice-Act-2009

You are quotiing Ofcom Broadcast code and a paragraph about "Application for an exploitation proceeds order"

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Parky2

noodler wrote: »
    Disappointed to see those involved in the drug trade glamorised by our State broadcaster.
    What about addicts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

lmao at all the people giving out about the media attention she's getting while at the same time posting incessantly about her online.

You could hardly make it up.

You are all part of the problem. Most of you will probably buy the book she inevitably releases, just so ye can moan about what's in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭newport2

Can you point out where I said anyone said that? She's getting treated as if she is, in my opinion. I don't care about drug smugglers in society...because I and I'd wager most people have taken drugs.
    I think sex offenders are way bigger threats.

Yeah becuase its a case of being outraged by one or the other?

You introduced a straw man that people were complaining about her as if she was worse then paedo's or rapists in an attempt to justify your opinion and at the same time try and derail the topic when nobody had mentioned anything of the sort.

• Advertisement

Yeah becuase its a case of being outraged by one or the other?

You introduced a straw man that people were complaining about her as if she was worse then paedo's or rapists in an attempt to justify your opinion and at the same time try and derail the topic when nobody had mentioned anything of the sort.

I'm saying the reaction and vitriol towards her is disproportionate for the crime. People are outraged...for sfa. There are far worse crimes that deserve more anger and media attention,

CaraMay wrote: »
    Which she hasn't done

I think that she has.

What she does not have to do is take responsibility for everyones problems with drugs!

I just watched the interview and I think she looked like she has been through a hell of a lot. I think that the interview looked very staged but it was probably the prosecution lawyers etc that set it up... Nothing to do with her.

I'm saying the reaction and vitriol towards her is disproportionate for the crime. People are outraged...for sfa. There are far worse crimes that deserve more anger and media attention,

I find peoples reaction to her amazing. She was young and made a big mistake ... then got caught and paid for it.

I used to spend a lot of time in Morocco and Ibiza and seen a lot if Irish girls and boys making the run to get a free months holiday etc... Many a parent on here would be surprised at what mistakes their kids make and get away with. Should be careful when being a judge...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

Just watched her interview. Glorious white teeth and new hair aside:

She stated at the beginning and towards the end that she didn't understand what she was getting into and didn't know/realise the consequences. Yet, when asked by whomever to do the deed she had lots of "What ifs?" for them. So she obviously had some realisation of what she was getting into.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,741 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Can anyone confirm if the story about her dad bring in jail for dealing is true?

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Orielle

I had a bit of an over reaction based on the 'soft' interview, and her glamorous appearance:
    I don't believe her assertion that she was young and naive, and the story she told in the beginning to justify her actions, proves her to be an accomplished liar. I suppose I thought that she would have looked a bit more contrite, and perhaps tell more of 'her story'....but maybe she was prevented for legal reasons. When I was her age....not that long ago....I was living on the continent alone....and having a great time....Never once was I tempted to become a drugs mule. If she had succeeded in smuggling the cocaine to it's destination...a lot of misery would have ensued.
    I know people are responsible for their own actions....and recreational cocaine use can be common.....but like any drug...the vulnerable get caught up in the whole scene....and addicts can ruin families. It's all a domino effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Parky2

Orielle wrote: »
    I had a bit of an over reaction based on the 'soft' interview, and her glamorous appearance:
    I don't believe her assertion that she was young and naive, and the story she told in the beginning to justify her actions, proves her to be an accomplished liar. I suppose I thought that she would have looked a bit more contrite, and perhaps tell more of 'her story'....but maybe she was prevented for legal reasons. When I was her age....not that long ago....I was living on the continent alone....and having a great time....Never once was I tempted to become a drugs mule. If she had succeeded in smuggling the cocaine to it's destination...a lot of misery would have ensued.
    I know people are responsible for their own actions....and recreational cocaine use can be common.....but like any drug...the vulnerable get caught up in the whole scene....and addicts can ruin families. It's all a domino effect.
    Amazing confidence from a paragon of virtue like your good self. You must be quite an expert in these matters and widely travelled by your own account.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Orielle

Yes... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

ted1 wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm if the story about her dad bring in jail for dealing is true?

Don't know about that one, but a NI journo on with Pat Kenny this morning stated that her former boyfriend was sentenced for posession of £100k worth of cocaine.

https://www.newstalk.com/listen_back/13240/26355/04th_April_2016_-_The_Pat_Kenny_Show_Part_1/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

ted1 wrote: »

And her ex boyfriend being convicted of a £100,000 drugs deal?

edit: the above poster just beat me to it

• Advertisement

maryishere wrote: »
    And her ex boyfriend being convicted of a £100,000 drugs deal?

I'm pretty sure that was the guy that claimed he was her ex-boyfriend at the time she was arrested. Seemed to be an idiot she had a fling with in Ibiza that summer. IIRC he went to a few newspapers and sold sh*tty little stories to them.
    They were 'together' for about a week.
    Also he had been arrested months/years before they met.
    Could be mixing up these two
    http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/world-news/one-eyed-crook-who-partied-michaella-2184171
    and this guy (Who went on the LLS)
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/michaella-mccollum-is-not-drug-2319294

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

The real scumbag are the dealers who talked a naive, vulnerable 19 year old into smuggling drugs in the first place.

Yes, the dealers are bad people, no question.

But if we just stopped all the moralistic nonsense and legalized the drugs, there would be no money in all the scumbaggery.

This girl is a proven liar. Why are RTE giving her airtime to tell more lies.

Because she is (lets face it) quite good looking / an ex model? If the person who was convicted was an ugly tatooed male from an inner city , would RTE be as interested? She is good at playing the media, wearing a virginal white jacket and dying her hair blond. As someone says, she looks like she came off a photoshoot, not out of a jail. And she did tell ties for 4 months after she was caught, did she not?

A bad example to be showing to young kids...will they think it may be ok to aspire to be a party "dancer" when they grow up, to maybe take a gamble smuggling drugs when they grow up - the worst that can happen is they will spend a couple of years in jail and then be a glamorous celebrity and write a book?

This girl is a proven liar. Why are RTE giving her airtime to tell more lies.

From here
    Over half a million tune in to watch controversial Michaella McCollum RTE interview

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

A bad example to be showing to young kids...will they think it may be ok to aspire to be a party "dancer" when they grow up

It's not RTÉ's job to bring up our children - it is their job to report facts.

If you don't want your kids to be party dancers - give them the facts and some sense.

It's not RTÉ's job to bring up our children - it is their job to report facts.

If you don't want your kids to be party dancers - give them the facts and some sense.

If you are going to quote me, you should quote properly and in full.

"A bad example to be showing to young kids...will they think it may be ok to aspire to be a party "dancer" when they grow up, to maybe take a gamble smuggling drugs when they grow up - the worst that can happen is they will spend a couple of years in jail and then be a glamorous celebrity and write a book?"

"A bad example to be showing to young kids...will they think it may be ok to aspire to be a party "dancer" when they grow up, to maybe take a gamble smuggling drugs when they grow up - the worst that can happen is they will spend a couple of years in jail and then be a glamorous celebrity and write a book?"

You would prefer RTÉ to lie, and claim the girl was murdered or something more dramatic? Because kids see right through that.

Just like the "War on Drugs".

You would prefer RTÉ to lie, and claim the girl was murdered or something more dramatic? Because kids see right through that.

Just like the "War on Drugs".

No, I would prefer she was not given such a "soft" interview, so soon after being released from prison, after such a short sentence. Will every criminal / ex criminal be able to go on tv now and plead their case?

• Advertisement

N Will every criminal / ex criminal be able to go on tv now and plead their case?

Yes, this has always been true. You'd need to change a lot of laws if you want it banned.

One exception: the Provos and section 31, but I think most people agree that was a bad idea, even people like me who disagree with what IRA spokesmen would have said (if allowed).

Advertisement