Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things to do in Thurles

Options
  • 21-08-2013 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭

Hello all

Organising a weekender for a few friends and looking at going to Thurles. Any suggestions for things to do on a weekend away. No golf enthusiasts but any other suggestions welcome.
    Think it'll be October and no one younger than 30.....

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Big Tanya

Its not a town I would recommend for a weekend away, probally because I live near Thurles town.
    Its people are nice, but stay away from Hayes Hotel, its not nice and the noise will keep you up all night.
    The Disco finishes late and its not known for its elegant clintele.
    Where do you plan to stay ?

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭PauloConn

Thanks Tanya

Was actually thinking of Hayes Hotel but hadn't had a good look about yet. Will take another look now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Oops!

The niteclub in Hayses is now closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭keelanj69

Maybe try horse and jockey if ye have transport because the hotels in town are shíte.

There are usually bands playing in the monks or up by the train station. New Italian restaurant just opened if you fancy giving that a bash.

Avoid smacs and hayes :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Depending on what weekend, there might be something to see in the source arts centre (it's not just theatre, there are live music events etc also)

http://www.thesourceartscentre.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭varberg

Nice pubs include noel ryans, the county, the monks or hickeys. The watermill is a nite club in the town just off the square. All within a few minutes of each other. For live music kennedys opposite noel ryans nearly always have live bands. Maybe call for a drink to lar corbetts which is next door prob music on there too. Call up to semple stadium if there is a hurling match on. Greyhound stadium is next door, always on on a saturday night. Nearly always hurling matches on at weekends if you fancy going to see one, just ask some knowledgeable local where the matches are on and what time that weekend. Alternatively check local papers the guardian or tipp star.

Activities like pony trekking and an open farm are nearby, prob need to ring in advance. Famine museum too in thurles havent been there though. If you go to holycross nearby about 5kms away there is a good tour of farney castle, its a very old castle very well kept, a famous designer lives there and they do tours its a very enjoyable tour and a fantastic living castle. Also holycross abbey is well worth a look and walk around, they do free tours there. Prb=ob best to ring to find out times for both. Cashel and the rock are nearbly too about 20minutes by motorway away.

Hotels include the anner hotel which has a swimming pool etc or try some b and b s. Hayes hotel is in the square but hasnt changed much since the 90s prob do good rates though. Could call too during the day to lar na pairce which is a gaa museum in the town, havent been in it though. The horse and jockey is a lovely hotel great leisure centre but you would need a taxi as its a few minutes and kms outside the town, beside the motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭session savage

Thurles is the nearest town to me and I haven't gone out in it for 16 years... for good reason. I wouldn't be a fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Oops!

Same here and have to agree, it ain't a great spot for anything really, the town is slowly dying.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭alyssum

I am tempted to add when your dead to the thread title as it reminds me of a film Things to do in Denver when your're dead

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭PauloConn

Thanks everyone for the updates. Appreciate it.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 parkhursttree

I just spent a week there and I have to agree with people that say the town is dying, which is too bad and perhaps could be averted. It's in a great location and has a lot going for it, but the people that make the decisions have too think outside the box a little.

Advertisement