Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will this work

• 21-08-2013 11:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭

From my understanding of E-Fibre, they are laying out fibre cables to the exchange boxes themselves, but the cables going from the exchange to peoples homes will still be the old copper cables that are there god knows how many years.

Does anyone have any answers/ideas on how you will be able to get "Speeds up to 75mb" when it is still a copper cable going from the exchange to your house?

It's been baffling me.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Because the run of copper is MUCH shorter (for 70Mbps however you'll need to be within a few hundred metres of the cabinet). From the cabinet it's a high speed fibre connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭Iano_128

Ah I see, yeah I'm appprox 350 metres from my exchange, so hopefully I'll be able to get close to 50mbps. Currently have between 2-3!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

no, i think you're misunderstanding its exchange->cabinet->house, exchange to the cabinet is fibre and copper from the cabinet to your house, before it was effectively exchange->house. So its distance to the cabinet that matters, not to the exchange

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭Iano_128

Sorry that's what I meant, 350 metres from the closest cabinet, but I've been told that even though I'm 350m away from the cabinet itself, the copper lines may not come directly to the house from the exchange so it could be longer.

Advertisement