Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will E-Fibre work

Options
  • 21-08-2013 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭

Just posted this in the Broadband thread, didn't realise there was an Eircom forum, maybe you guys can answer:

From my understanding of E-Fibre, they are laying out fibre cables to the exchange boxes themselves, but the cables going from the exchange to peoples homes will still be the old copper cables that are there god knows how many years.

Does anyone have any answers/ideas on how you will be able to get "Speeds up to 75mb" when it is still a copper cable going from the exchange to your house?

It's been baffling me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Iano_128 wrote: »
    Just posted this in the Broadband thread, didn't realise there was an Eircom forum, maybe you guys can answer:

From my understanding of E-Fibre, they are laying out fibre cables to the exchange boxes themselves, but the cables going from the exchange to peoples homes will still be the old copper cables that are there god knows how many years.

Does anyone have any answers/ideas on how you will be able to get "Speeds up to 75mb" when it is still a copper cable going from the exchange to your house?

It's been baffling me.
    Hi Iano_128

That is correct, the efibre cables are laid from the exchange to cabinet. The existing copper network / lines are remain as is to connect the service from the cabinet to the home.

Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Iano_128

It's been baffling me.
    Hi Iano_128

That is correct, the efibre cables are laid from the exchange to cabinet. The existing copper network / lines are remain as is to connect the service from the cabinet to the home.

Mark

That part I know, my question is, if the copper cables remain then how will we get speeds of up to 75mb when I highly doubt the copper cables can handle even close to that.

It's been baffling me.
    Hi Iano_128

Mark

That part I know, my question is, if the copper cables remain then how will we get speeds of up to 75mb when I highly doubt the copper cables can handle even close to that.

Hi Iano_128

When an address is connected to the efibre network or cabinet. We can run a line test to confirm the speed capability. efibre is still subject to distance factors which is why the efibre packages are classed as "up to".

Mark

So, does that mean that it is possible that when e-fibre is available in my area (end of Sept according to the Eircom site) that I may still only be able to achieve maximum speeds of 5mb, which is currently the case.

So, does that mean that it is possible that when e-fibre is available in my area (end of Sept according to the Eircom site) that I may still only be able to achieve maximum speeds of 5mb, which is currently the case.
    Hi Iano_128

The minimum download speed for efibre is 20MB download and 5MB upload as far as we have been made aware.

Mark

• Advertisement

Thanks Mark :)

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭the perfect ten

Yes, that is all very well but does anyone know what is the theoretical maximum speed that a twisted pair of copper wires can support between an exchange and a domestic dwelling?  Let's assume a distance of 2km between the exchange and the dwelling, as that will also play a role in determining the maximum speed.

Yes, that is all very well but does anyone know what is the theoretical maximum speed that a twisted pair of copper wires can support between an exchange and a domestic dwelling?  Let's assume a distance of 2km between the exchange and the dwelling, as that will also play a role in determining the maximum speed.
    Well he's said that the minimum it can get is 20Mbps, so it's at least that,, which compared to what someone 2km from an exchange is getting now that's a massive increase. I'm 350m from my exchange and get between 3-5 Mbps, so a 15-17Mbps increase in speed is going to make a huge difference.

No problem Iano_128

Mark

Hi the perfect ten

There are so many factors involved. Keep in mind that the telephone lines are not laid in direct line of sight from an exchange to an address so the distance the broadband speed has to travel can be further than you may think.

I would need to test the line to give a more accurate indication or answer to your question.

Thanks, Mark

• Advertisement

Hi the perfect ten

There are so many factors involved. Keep in mind that the telephone lines are not laid in direct line of sight from an exchange to an address so the distance the broadband speed has to travel can be further than you may think.

I would need to test the line to give a more accurate indication or answer to your question.

Thanks, Mark

Can Eircom tell approximately how far someone is from the exchange?

Hi the perfect ten

Thanks, Mark

Can Eircom tell approximately how far someone is from the exchange?
    Hi Iano_128

We will check specific lines and discuss the situation with each individual customer as the broadband service can be subject to individual line factors.

General information may not be accurate to a number of customers within that area.

If you want to PM me with a specific question or query I can look into it. Again I can not give any more information regarding efibre speeds until we can test your line directly.

Thanks, Mark 

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Sean54

It's been baffling me.
    Hi Iano_128

Mark

Hi Copper cables can attain speeds of 100Mb or more over short distances. The cooper loop to your house is now only from the cabinet (Typically a couple of [font=Verdana, sans-serif]hundred[/font] metres) and not the Eircom Exchange. I have the efibre at home and  am getting download speed of 70mb.

Advertisement