Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goldfish Fry

Options
  • 21-08-2013 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭

Hi I am after hatching some goldfish fry that was spawned in the pond.
    they are around 12 days old now and until a few days ago I had the majority of them survive. there were around 100 to begin with. now i only seem to have a hand full left.
    There is a small air pump in with them but no filter as they would get sucked into the system.
    i am using water from the pond as I am afraid to use tap water, but this water had a lot of algae. could this be a problem?

this is my first time hatching fish so its all trial and error but i would like at least have a few make it to adulthood. does anyone have any tips caring for fry?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

Have you tested the water? Young goldfish need very good water quality. If you have them in an unfiltered tank, ammonia and nitrite will build up quickly which I would guess is the cause of your problem. It's certainly not algae.

If you don't have a filter, you'll need to do daily 50% water changes either from the pond or treated tap water.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Renno123

Tropheus wrote: »
    Have you tested the water? Young goldfish need very good water quality. If you have them in an unfiltered tank, ammonia and nitrite will build up quickly which I would guess is the cause of your problem. It's certainly not algae.

If you don't have a filter, you'll need to do daily 50% water changes either from the pond or treated tap water.
    thanks, no i havent tested the water.
    I am feeding liquifry. how long can i feed this for?
    they are 17days old now. should i be changing the food?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

I would move to flake at this stage. I suggest you test that water or at least do 50% water changes daily.

Advertisement