Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting back to sport level fitness

• 21-08-2013 12:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭

Howr ye all, 23 year old lad a bit new to this side of boards so take it easy on me :D.

When I was a bit younger (up to 19) I used to play an awful lot of football, between training and matches I was playing I was out 4/5 evenings every week kicking a ball and I was very fit at the time. I lost interest a bit then when I was in college and havent played much the last few years since and fitness levels have dropped dramatically as a result. I went back playing junior A football for a while earlier in the year and while none of the team were really that fit it was really annoying me that I wasnt as fast off the block and didnt have the stamina that i used to have and how I had taken it for granted. Anyway football is coming to and end for the year and I would like to try and get myself into better shape for 2014 but I dont really know where to start. Nearest gym is a half an hour away and I was thinking about joining for the winter. Never been to a gym before so I dont really know where to start there. I could walk for miles and miles without any discomfort but the short sprints I was used to doing are taking a lot longer to recover from. 5'11'', fairly broadly built and 11.5 stone. Wouldnt be overweight or heavy by any means and all I want to do is recover my fitness really. Any tips on the best way to approach it would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I'll leave the gym for a moment but you'll need to get onto some HIIT to get the fitness back for football.

Ease yourself into it with something like 3-4 mins jog until you're warmed up then go as hard and fast as you can for 30 seconds followed by 1 minute of a very light jog. Rinse and repeat for about 15-20 mins.

The other variant is to do it by distance, e.g. 200m all out and then 400m light jog etc etc.

After a while you can up the fast time/distance or shorten the rest time/distance.

Advertisement