Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For people who leave their dogs outside at night...

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

wexie wrote: »

I've actually been wondering about this recently (lots of breakins here at the moment) my dogs normally sleep in the kitchen and the utility which means they've no access to the rest of the house. If someone came in the front door I'd have to get passed them to let the dogs out of the kitchen so I've been wondering should I let the dogs have the run of the house at night.

Which means they'd be much more useful in the event of a breakin, unfortunately also means we'd probably have to get a bigger bed :o

We have the same set up, dogs sleep downstairs in the kitchen at night and we usually close the door, just because in the winter we have a stove in the kitchen so it's toasty warm and we like to keep the heat in for the dogs :o since the weather improved we leave the kitchen door open so they have full access to the house, like you if someone got in the front door and they were closed in the kitchen I would have to get past the burglars to get the dogs out! We've decided even in the winter now we're going to leave the kitchen door open, I just feel safer if the dogs can access the front and back doors, to be honest the only reason they're not upstairs with us is because one of them has a dodgy leg and can't climb stairs and it wouldn't be fair to let the other one up without him!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Seems even having a dog in the house doesn't stop someone determined to rob your house.

http://crime.ie/20130824/two-house-burglaries-in-kilnamanagh-dublin-24/

"Two house burglaries in Kilnamanagh, Dublin 24 on 20th August at approx. 3-4:30PM
    One house was entered through the back door while the resident was hoovering in the front room, listening to music. Credit cards and an iPhone (with a crack at the bottom of the phone so the cable port no longer works) were stolen. A dog was in the kitchen and barked once but this did not deter the burglar."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Ms2011 wrote: »
    Seems even having a dog in the house doesn't stop someone determined to rob your house.

http://crime.ie/20130824/two-house-burglaries-in-kilnamanagh-dublin-24/

"Two house burglaries in Kilnamanagh, Dublin 24 on 20th August at approx. 3-4:30PM
    One house was entered through the back door while the resident was hoovering in the front room, listening to music. Credit cards and an iPhone (with a crack at the bottom of the phone so the cable port no longer works) were stolen. A dog was in the kitchen and barked once but this did not deter the burglar."

Depends on the dog, and also a dog barking once wouldn't be a deterrent. Especially since this was obviously not night time if the door was not locked and the burglar simply walked in. That's pure brazen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Ms2011

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Depends on the dog, and also a dog barking once wouldn't be a deterrent. Especially since this was obviously not night time if the door was not locked and the burglar simply walked in. That's pure brazen.

Well obviously each set of circumstances are going to vary I'm just pointing out that if someone's determined to get into your house dog or no dog will stop them.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭diegroblers

RoverZT wrote: »
    Have to agree.

I am always trying to get my Malamute in at night, he will come in for an hour or two and then he is crying to go outside again, running upstairs and crying next to my bedroom door to leave him outside.

It get's very annoying, especially when I have to get up early for work and even more annoying that he will only go into his dog house when it's torrential rain.

If it's raining heavy enough he will just curl up in the garden, with his tail covering his face and will sleep through the rain, doesn't bother him at all.

I then have to run around the garden at 4am in the rain trying to get him into the house, he thinks it's a game and keeps running away.

We had a german shepherd when I was a child who was the same, he hated being inside at night, though he was very smart and used his dog house.

Are all Malamute's like that?

Ours wants to be where we are. She sleeps in a crate though. The only time that is not true, is when it is too hot in the house - you might want to check that, try and give him a cool place to sleep in. Ours prefer the marble base in front of the fireplace. If the door to the lounge is closed, she will go outside and find a cold spot to lie in.

As for dogs not being a deterrent for burglars, people waking up during a burglary being in more danger:

We had a guard dog in South Africa (a boerboel, or South African mastiff). We got her as an adult dog (the owner wanted to get rid of her because she was eating his chickens) as a pet, but she was a guard dog at heart. She was used to being outside 24/7 . We kept her inside, because of the threat of dogs being poisoned, but she preferred being with us in any case. It was a trial house-training an adult dog, but she learned quickly.

She woke us twice during burglaries. She wasn't a barker, if she did bark or growl, we knew we had to check it out, post haste (once it was a hippopotamus grazing on the grass on the side of the road). With the first attempted burglary, I nearly wet myself when she came and woke me up by growling continuously. I checked the yard (through the windows), saw nothing and went back to bed. I thought she was going to have a fit then and did some weird growling sounds. I got up again and checked again. The side doors was glass, and in front of the doors was a burglar, seemingly picking the lock. I yelled at him, and he ran off (the guy I was renting from told me I should have called him, they would have 'taken care of it'. :eek: )

The second time we had an attempted burglary, we had huge blind-spots from inside the house, and couldn't see what she was barking at. I finally unlocked the door, the dog barreled out of the house, and the burglars ran away so fast that they left their shoes behind (no, don't try and imagine a cartoon picture here, where they ran out of their shoes, they had taken them off to be more quiet, apparently :D ).

This doesn't make me over confident when it comes to burglars, but it does teach me the value of a good guard dog.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

(the guy I was renting from told me I should have called him, they would have 'taken care of it'. :eek: )

I remember a South African friend (Joburg) telling me about a service he saw advertised where they come round to your house to remove what's left of the burglars to save you from the hassle and paperwork of dealing with the police. kinda like the Wolf in Pulp Fiction....:eek:

Then again, some of the Boerbulls I saw I'm not sure there'd be much left to remove :D

wexie wrote: »
    I remember a South African friend (Joburg) telling me about a service he saw advertised where they come round to your house to remove what's left of the burglars to save you from the hassle and paperwork of dealing with the police. kinda like the Wolf in Pulp Fiction....:eek:

Then again, some of the Boerbulls I saw I'm not sure there'd be much left to remove :D

LOL! I haven't heard that one! I agree about boerboels, though. Not that my dog ever bit anyone. But seeing her crunch up shank and leg bones, to get to the marrow (she wasn't into chewing on bones at all), made me fear for the day she decided to take a nip out of a burglar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

LOL! I haven't heard that one! I agree about boerboels, though. Not that my dog ever bit anyone. But seeing her crunch up shank and leg bones, to get to the marrow (she wasn't into chewing on bones at all), made me fear for the day she decided to take a nip out of a burglar.

tell the cops a leopard did it.

tell the cops a leopard did it.

Nah, shame, they're not all idiots. But a police guy once told us, in the event of a burglar dying, to put a weapon in his hand. Crazy country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

Nah, shame, they're not all idiots. But a police guy once told us, in the event of a burglar dying, to put a weapon in his hand. Crazy country.

"A leopard did if officer, not my lovely harmless dog... Oh that's red paint on his jaws...The Leopard looked exactly like the one on this note here, you best keep that incase you see another leopard. "

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

"A leopard did if officer, not my lovely harmless dog... Oh that's red paint on his jaws...The Leopard looked exactly like the one on this note here, you best keep that incase you see another leopard. "

"Yes officer that is a femur he's chewing on, but it's from a....err....Kudu, yes it's from a Kudu"

Advertisement