Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kellys 76 the Quay to close - just announced

Options
  • 21-08-2013 1:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

One of the oldest retail outlets in the country is about to shut its doors. 160 years in business. :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Just read about it on Waterford News and Star. 166 years in business and now gone. Also mentioned that Benetton, Warehouse, Pulse and Monsoon also gone.

I'd say more will go what with the new increased rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

yeah, heard it on radio yesterday. its a shame. I know when these things happen, I can get a little down spirited. 2 things:
    firstly, i feel this and the other few shops that closed is a consequence primarily of our desperate unemployment problem, i feel the government has talked a half decent game about Waterford but delivered little, i feel abandoned by them and our 3 govt TDs.

Secondly, we need to pick ourselves up, support the city centre shops, pubs, restaurants even more than ever, the situation isnt improving and waiting for those in power to do anything significant it seems is futile.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,100 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Rates is one thing but people just don't have money to spend in these shops ay more

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭wendydoll

Max Powers wrote: »
    Secondly, we need to pick ourselves up, support the city centre shops, pubs, restaurants even more than ever,

I would love if smaller concession that are in likes of Debenhams and Shaws had their own shop fronts. There's plenty of places in the city centre that they could rent.

I wish the city council would look logically at the issue of rates and empty properties. Does it not make more sense to take a hit on the rates and get people into premises or leave the building sit there empty and get zero out of it.

Also I was in Kilkenny the other day and most empty shops (and there was several up there as well) had decorative decal window coverings rather than something fired up in haste with a "closing down" sign left there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

wendydoll wrote: »
    I would love if smaller concession that are in likes of Debenhams and Shaws had their own shop fronts. There's plenty of places in the city centre that they could rent.

I wish the city council would look logically at the issue of rates and empty properties. Does it not make more sense to take a hit on the rates and get people into premises or leave the building sit there empty and get zero out of it.

Also I was in Kilkenny the other day and most empty shops (and there was several up there as well) had decorative decal window coverings rather than something fired up in haste with a "closing down" sign left there.

agree with that more attractive sticker on windows thing. Im pretty sure rates are determined by the council anymore.

• Advertisement

Max Powers wrote: »
    agree with that more attractive sticker on windows thing. Im pretty sure rates are determined by the council anymore.

I can't stand passing the old Audi showroom by PC World. The plants were just left there to wither and die. It looked dreadful. They could have at least cleared the place properly. See if the stickers were on the windows it wouldn't annoy me

Well whoever determines the rates :) hmm would we rather lesser money from rates vs. zero money from empty premises. I know which I'd prefer if I were in charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Awful pity about kellys but to look for the bright side it is a very lettable property and has great frontage , and could open up the lane behind to retail if a retailer had their head switched on, might be a case of new broom sweeps clean.Not very many high street properties of this size and location around in Waterford( don't mention Johnny Hearnes)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Minister

It is a shame, alright. However, I and others I know, avoid the city centre because of the traffic mess on the Quay and time spent in traffic - not to mention the off putting parking charges.

Sadly, I believe other established businesses will go the same way.

When I left school in the early eighties and studied/worked in Waterford the city centre was a busier and more upbeat place to be - even in a recession as there was then. Even in the evenings there was activity. Pedestrianisation, coupled with ineptitude at a senior Local Authority level have, imho, contributed to the dereliction of what was once a fine city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

This is yet more evidence, if any were needed, that the City Council are succeeding in their apparent mission to destroy the retail centre of Waterford City.

Poor traffic management, coupled with a seeming desire to actually discourage people to drive their cars into town, ridiculously high rates (with no understanding or appreciation of the hardship this causes to businesses - "we don't care, you have to pay it") are some but not all of the evidence of this policy.

They are a blinkered, obstinate, unsympathetic, inefficient crowd of self-serving delusionists.

With them in charge it's no wonder the city centre is going down the toilet.

The blame lies squarely and fully at the feet of the City Council, for either their actions or omissions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭decies

The Glass Factory kept the city going in the 80,s huge loss to the city . Went in to wish the owner all the best , he is still devasted , said the footfall collapsed, and never thought it would end like this . I think the Viking triangle is dragging all the tourists up that part of town. Damien Tiernan was hanging around the place so expect something on TV , if somebody sees anything let us know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

decies wrote: »
    The Glass Factory kept the city going in the 80,s huge loss to the city . Went in to wish the owner all the best , he is still devasted , said the footfall collapsed, and never thought it would end like this . I think the Viking triangle is dragging all the tourists up that part of town. Damien Tiernan was hanging around the place so expect something on TV , if somebody sees anything let us know.

It was on 6.1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

It is sad. I drove up to Kilkenny with family to pick up some bits from H&M for the little fella. At about 11am on a Friday the town was very vibrant. We headed to MacDonagh Junction and got parking in a lovely big bright carpark with roomy spaces for €2 for three hours the centre was full, there was a free kids play area and when we went to leave we could change the baby and use the toilet in clean free toilets.

I understand shopping local and my wife works in the city centre and often goes around the shops at lunch time if the kids or the house need anything but because of all the closures 7 times out 10 she can't find what she needs.
    It really feels like the city is dying and no amount of positivity can change that. Until people can afford to shop in town and also find the things they need it's just not going to happen. :(

Was up in Kilkenny on Monday and it was busy enough, didn't pass many with shopping bags though. Seemed like most people were just pottering around. The street were busy but the shopping centres were pretty much empty.

Have to agree with Minister above, I think pedestrianisation has killed the hustle and bustle of the city. Sometimes I think are they farting around with the quay roadworks so the traffic is mental along the viking triangle area so it appears to tourists as this busy city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭cbl593h

But ask yereselves- have ye EVER been in Kellys ??? Do you ever remember yere mother's in the 80s/90s/00s going in their for a frock or a bra??? Probably not. Shaws yeah, Roches yeah, Cassidys yeah.

I crossed the door once to pass a message to me friend's missus of the time ( he used to work in Egans if anyone tuned can work it out :D) but never before or after..............

Times change, are we going to all going to lament what we didn't use?? I think not. Aside though, there are people up the thread who the city governors (or so called) should heed- there has been no wisdom in the direction the city centre has gone and the pain inflicted by that lack of wisdom isn't close to ending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

cbl593h there is some truth in that, places like Kelly's are retail relics, always looked a bit "Are You Being Served?". I'd imagine the wedding trade was what just about kept it going as long as it was open.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭sugoo69

Its very sad but seems to be the way of things. Ive only been here 10 years and the difference in the city is huge. It used to be a great place for a night out and a buzzing shopping spot. Even when the shops out by the new Audi garage moved in like TK Maxx whe it was out there was great - Id go there then on into town.
    But nowadays parking is a joke, the quays are a nightmare and the closing stores just go to remind you that the city seems to be falling deeper into a depression.
    Now as to what can be done I couldnt suggest - its not my city & I dont have the history. I can say that now it saddens me & I now avoid coming in. At the risk of retribution I have to say I would happily drive to Mahon point rather than go to Waterford city.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

sugoo69 wrote: »
    Its very sad but seems to be the way of things. Ive only been here 10 years and the difference in the city is huge. It used to be a great place for a night out and a buzzing shopping spot. Even when the shops out by the new Audi garage moved in like TK Maxx whe it was out there was great - Id go there then on into town.
    But nowadays parking is a joke, the quays are a nightmare and the closing stores just go to remind you that the city seems to be falling deeper into a depression.
    Now as to what can be done I couldnt suggest - its not my city & I dont have the history. I can say that now it saddens me & I now avoid coming in. At the risk of retribution I have to say I would happily drive to Mahon point rather than go to Waterford city.

Im from Waterford and completely agree with this, I come back as much as i can and I have to agree the "planners" for the quay are a joke. However one thing I did notice was with all the shops closing it does remind me of the 80s when Waterford was a ghost town. People shouldnt be so depressed every town/city/country goes though this, and as things go we will bounce back. So heads up, move on things can only get brighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

wmpdd3 wrote: »

I think the quay when finished will look good when finished hopefully it will breath a bit of life back along it.
    It does have a very industrial look to it.
    The green route should make it more appealing

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭bilibob

I have to be honest I never went in there, I dont even know if they stocked mens wear, but the place looked fairly tacky. A few years ago they upped their game with a redgreen section but it was tiny and they were charging crazy prices. It seemed to be targeted at tourists more than anything else. Between the bus stop outside and being on the quay, looking at the carparks, It was in an ideal location. Penneys behind it is absolutely jampacked any time I'm in there and its the only one open late. They are expanding for the second time in three years right at the back of Kellys. If this were the boomtime I would say that Kellys being vacant and Penneys there now would create an ideal 'opera lane' style development on Conduit Lane with the shops that people want, with the clothes people want, instead of paying 130 euro for plain old trousers from a few years ago in Kellys. Most of their business seemed to be pensioners with accounts they paid into every week. We really can't blame people for not shopping there if its not what people want!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Re: driving up to Kilkenny, what does it cost, must be €10-€20 worth of petrol for the round trip, and yet those people are the ones complaining about a couple of Euro for car parking in Waterford.

I was only reading this morning on Twitter that you can get parking for €1 per hour now in Railway Square, as well as Millers Marsh and Bolton Street car parks: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BSOFRSrIUAAdKY1.jpg

The City Council are also supposed to be starting work on a new 400-space car park in the city centre which is due to be completed before the end of the year.

I don't know how the Quay's are a "nightmare", Christ almighty a few traffic delays and people acting like their life is ruined, ffs get over it....works will end eventually, and they will look better when done. Also, once work is completed on the Viking Triangle the Council will be able to invest in the other city centre areas. And anyone who actually follows what City Council does will know the other great work they are doing in general.

Pedestrianisation is fine, I don't know why it keeps coming up as an issue. Lots of traffic isn't going to make the place seem busier, and even if it did, it would only make it seem busier - traffic does not equal footfall.

I'm not saying the city isn't in serious trouble, but the constant complaining about car parking as the sole reason for it does my head in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

bilibob wrote: »
    I have to be honest I never went in there, I dont even know if they stocked mens wear, but the place looked fairly tacky. A few years ago they upped their game with a redgreen section but it was tiny and they were charging crazy prices. It seemed to be targeted at tourists more than anything else. Between the bus stop outside and being on the quay, looking at the carparks, It was in an ideal location. Penneys behind it is absolutely jampacked any time I'm in there and its the only one open late. They are expanding for the second time in three years right at the back of Kellys. If this were the boomtime I would say that Kellys being vacant and Penneys there now would create an ideal 'opera lane' style development on Conduit Lane with the shops that people want, with the clothes people want, instead of paying 130 euro for plain old trousers from a few years ago in Kellys. Most of their business seemed to be pensioners with accounts they paid into every week. We really can't blame people for not shopping there if its not what people want!
    I think the above is an excellent and accurate post, sometimes you need new blood in any organisation or just give up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Re: driving up to Kilkenny, what does it cost, must be €10-€20 worth of petrol for the round trip, and yet those people are the ones complaining about a couple of Euro for car parking in Waterford.

I was only reading this morning on Twitter that you can get parking for €1 per hour now in Railway Square, as well as Millers Marsh and Bolton Street car parks: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BSOFRSrIUAAdKY1.jpg

The City Council are also supposed to be starting work on a new 400-space car park in the city centre which is due to be completed before the end of the year.

I don't know how the Quay's are a "nightmare", Christ almighty a few traffic delays and people acting like their life is ruined, ffs get over it....works will end eventually, and they will look better when done. Also, once work is completed on the Viking Triangle the Council will be able to invest in the other city centre areas. And anyone who actually follows what City Council does will know the other great work they are doing in general.

Pedestrianisation is fine, I don't know why it keeps coming up as an issue. Lots of traffic isn't going to make the place seem busier, and even if it did, it would only make it seem busier - traffic does not equal footfall.

I'm not saying the city isn't in serious trouble, but the constant complaining about car parking as the sole reason for it does my head in.

Honestly, I don't understand the problem with parking or traffic either. If I need to go to town, I go to town. I'll either park on The Quay, City Square, Millers March or find a handy spot along O'Connell St. You're right in town, a little stroll does nobody any harm. Don't mind paying the €2-€3 if it means I don't have miles to walk back with shopping bags or the kids buggies. In terms of traffic, I don't understand it either. More often than not you can get from one side of town to the other in ten minutes. If you're living in a built-up area it's understandable to have some delays at lights at peak times or where there are works, that happens everywhere ffs.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

wmpdd3 wrote: »

Maybe, but wouldn't it be worse if they did nothing?

Also if you want a bigger comparison, think of the pubs. :)
    It says alot when the Vintners run adverts from time to time asking people to go to their local pub. Something they never did for decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

There was a piece about this on The LAst word on Today FM this eve, they had Eddie Mulligan on spouting about how they'd formed a committee and a facebook group etc to promote Waterford, and attract tourists, but he didn't seem to consider that it's the high rates and poor support for existing, non-tourist businesses from the city council that is a large part of the problem.

Nice sentiments Eddie, but a Facebook group ain't gonna save the city.

Apparently they had many texts in saying that it is the doubled rates and crazy traffic management that is a large part of the problem, and I agree.

Tourists don't support the city, local people do. And it's the local people who should be encouraged, and furnished, to visit the city moreso.

Cheaper (MUCH cheaper) rates for businesses; Cheaper parking; Less restrictions on cars. Those are some of the things that are needed.

Oh, and sack the inept, wasteful, deluded city council. The lot of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

Cost me €10 for petrol and €2 for parking. I would have paid over €5 for parking in City Square. One pair of trousers I needed for my son (aged 6) was €21 in Next (drawstring jeans not available in Dunnes or Penneys Waterford) and €9.95 in H&M. I saved over €10 on them. I bought about €100 worth or clothes (saving at least €40 on what they would have cost in Next) so a trip to Waterford City would have cost me €50 more.

I for one don't have €50 to throw around, and added to the money it was a nie experience (no traffic, toilets, kids play area, convienient, cheap parking etc etc ).

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Demonical

Jason Todd wrote: »
    Honestly, I don't understand the problem with parking or traffic either. If I need to go to town, I go to town. I'll either park on The Quay, City Square, Millers March or find a handy spot along O'Connell St. You're right in town, a little stroll does nobody any harm. Don't mind paying the €2-€3 if it means I don't have miles to walk back with shopping bags or the kids buggies. In terms of traffic, I don't understand it either. More often than not you can get from one side of town to the other in ten minutes. If you're living in a built-up area it's understandable to have some delays at lights at peak times or where there are works, that happens everywhere ffs.

Have you tried gettin from the Dunmore Road to the Quay recently? Traffic backed up from De la Salle every time I've tried over the past few weeks and doesn't ease until you get past the clock tower. In a car it takes the bones of a half hour.

Sad to see Kellys going. I remember going in there with my nan and mam every week years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Demonical wrote: »
    Have you tried gettin from the Dunmore Road to the Quay recently? Traffic backed up from De la Salle every time I've tried over the past few weeks and doesn't ease until you get past the clock tower. In a car it takes the bones of a half hour.

Sad to see Kellys going. I remember going in there with my nan and mam every week years ago.

I have, my girlfriend works in Ardkeen and we live near Bilberry. Most times we'll take the ORR, but we take the Quay too. It's the roadworks doing the damage, and they are temporary thankfully.

Has anyone else seen Le Blaa open recently or are they gone too? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭madfcuker

I have, my girlfriend works in Ardkeen and we live near Bilberry. Most times we'll take the ORR, but we take the Quay too. It's the roadworks doing the damage, and they are temporary thankfully.

La blaa is gone. When they did blaas they were delicious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Noticed that today that it was closed

Advertisement