Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kellys 76 the Quay to close - just announced

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Nypd wrote: »
    Noticed that today that it was closed

I noticed at Spraoi that they weren't open. They originally opened at last years Spraoi iirc, that's when I first went in there. Strange that they wouldn't stick around for what you would assume would be their busier time. It's also a shame because it looked well there and now that part of the Mall looks quiet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

IF le Blaa has closed, that is a big disappointment. I used to be in there regularly when i worked in city centre and every now and again after that (try to spread my cafe business around). Everyone on here was saying great things about it, what a great idea, promoting blaa, our culture etc. Pity it wasnt followed up with numbers going in there and buying blaas/coffee.

Need to support city centre, not just talk about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭madfcuker

The biggest problem with La Blaa was when it changed owners, they stopped doing sausage and rasher blaa. And the prices went up also. I used to frequent the place regularly before this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Sad to see some people - again - pi$$ing on people's graves (or jobs in this case). "Oh they should have moved on" etc. Eight people's livelihoods destroyed. And the obscene increase in rates played a huge part. Hope it keeps fine for all of you.

7upfree wrote: »
    Sad to see some people - again - pi$$ing on people's graves (or jobs in this case). "Oh they should have moved on" etc. Eight people's livelihoods destroyed. And the obscene increase in rates played a huge part. Hope it keeps fine for all of you.

What are you on about? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭cbl593h

Jason Todd wrote: »
    What are you on about? :confused:

Indeed, what are you on about ???

What has happened has happened, nobody posting in this thread has said anything negative or disparaging about the unfortunate people who have lost their livelihoods.

Why are you attacking the previous posters who are engaging in what the purpose of Boards is, debating and stating opinions ??? Last time I looked Ireland was a democracy, although a somewhat damaged one. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭invalid

It should be mentioned that a big problem for Waterford City centre is the size of the retail units for rent. They are all to small for any of major retail store the city needs like M&S, H&M or even Zara etc. they all want a minimum of 5000 sq feet to open up a decent sized store. The best sites (Old Cinema & Broad street Centre, or the site beside Flash's old place on High street) are in private ownership with the owners doing noting to try and develop the sites. they see no reason to bother (and these sites are not in NAMA, and in many cases have been in the same ownership for a long time.

As for rates, the city council employs about 280 people, down form over 400 at its height. The rates help pay for the street lighting, street cleaning, city improvements, road repair, traffic lights and all the other things required to run and manage an urban area. things cost money and the money must come from somewhere. However, I would agree that rates is an archaic collection system (but ever city in the western world has a business tax) but them i have formed the opinion that Irish people (and Waterford people in particular) see no value paying for things and believes that all should be done as some god given right.

Kellys closed because few shopped there. I didn't, my wife didn't and nobody I know went in twice. It like when bewleys closed on Grafton street, it was full of people lamenting its demise and wallowing in fond memories. But ask them when did the last go there and the answer was not for a long time.

If you want retail in Waterford to survive or thrive, shop here. If a shop doesn't have what you want tell them. Big retailers won't come to Waterford to sell because Waterford people won't come to Waterford to buy.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Yeah kept meaning to ask re Le Blaa. Seemed to be gutting it today but the past few weeks it looked a bit grubby so I assumed it was closed. Thought it would do okay being in the heart of the Viking Triangle, Waterford Crystal etc. But I guess not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

invalid wrote: »
    It should be mentioned that a big problem for Waterford City centre is the size of the retail units for rent. They are all to small for any of major retail store the city needs like M&S, H&M or even Zara etc. they all want a minimum of 5000 sq feet to open up a decent sized store. The best sites (Old Cinema & Broad street Centre, or the site beside Flash's old place on High street) are in private ownership with the owners doing noting to try and develop the sites. they see no reason to bother (and these sites are not in NAMA, and in many cases have been in the same ownership for a long time.

As for rates, the city council employs about 280 people, down form over 400 at its height. The rates help pay for the street lighting, street cleaning, city improvements, road repair, traffic lights and all the other things required to run and manage an urban area. things cost money and the money must come from somewhere. However, I would agree that rates is an archaic collection system (but ever city in the western world has a business tax) but them i have formed the opinion that Irish people (and Waterford people in particular) see no value paying for things and believes that all should be done as some god given right.

Kellys closed because few shopped there. I didn't, my wife didn't and nobody I know went in twice. It like when bewleys closed on Grafton street, it was full of people lamenting its demise and wallowing in fond memories. But ask them when did the last go there and the answer was not for a long time.

If you want retail in Waterford to survive or thrive, shop here. If a shop doesn't have what you want tell them. Big retailers won't come to Waterford to sell because Waterford people won't come to Waterford to buy.

thats it, i fear us Irish people would just prefer to point out where everyone else is doing wrong and f-all about it except complain to the wrong people and no bother to get off their ar$e

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭invalid

Max Powers wrote: »
    thats it, i fear us Irish people would just prefer to point out where everyone else is doing wrong and f-all about it except complain to the wrong people and no bother to get off their ar$e

Not unique to Ireland, but next to begrudgery its tantamount to a national trait at the moment. I suppose its easier to blame someone else that acknowledge that you are part of the problem.

I would say this there are people within the city trying to get things moving again. People of intelligence, motivation and with the best interests of the city at heart. Unfortunately as usual motives are questions and minor issues like parking and road works tend to derail any attempts at improving the city. Only through the City Council and private business working together will there be any improvement.

I personally work in events, and other than sproai i have worked with pretty much every single event in Waterford City in varying degrees of involvement. I can tell you this, you try and do something here and the first this you will be told is that's great but don't do it near me. Then you will hear (and not just on boards) is it too expensive (even when free), its badly organsied and why would you bother going as its better in [insert Cork, Dublin, Kilkenny] from people who frankly haven't a clue about events, probably couln't find there ar$e with there hands tied behind there backs and who wouldn't go anyway.

To be back on point, Kellys closed because few shopped there. No other reason. The question to be asked is why did people not shop in a premises 20m from the biggest car park in the city with a name know by all in the city and surrounds?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

And the obscene increase in rates played a huge part.
    There was no increase in rates so that didn't play a part in Kelly's closing. Rates have remained frozen for the past 3 or 4 years. The news in the last couple of months about rates increases meant that some businesses would see their rates increase from January 2014, so that didn't affect Kelly's.

There was no increase in rates so that didn't play a part in Kelly's closing. Rates have remained frozen for the past 3 or 4 years. The news in the last couple of months about rates increases meant that some businesses would see their rates increase from January 2014, so that didn't affect Kelly's.

Do you not seriously think that the impending increase factored into this? Given the amount of square footage that all three floors of Kelly's covered?

Seriously?

Remember, one local business has already advised that they have to make a staff member redundant in order to pay these outrageous - and outdated - charges.

cbl593h wrote: »
    Indeed, what are you on about ???

What has happened has happened, nobody posting in this thread has said anything negative or disparaging about the unfortunate people who have lost their livelihoods.

Why are you attacking the previous posters who are engaging in what the purpose of Boards is, debating and stating opinions ??? Last time I looked Ireland was a democracy, although a somewhat damaged one. :mad:

Some earlier posts from this thread:

"cbl593h there is some truth in that, places like Kelly's are retail relics, always looked a bit "Are You Being Served?". I'd imagine the wedding trade was what just about kept it going as long as it was open."

"Times change, are we going to all going to lament what we didn't use?? I think not."

I would certainly lament the closure of ANY business in this city. ANY.

As I said, hope it keeps fine for everyone.

Eight lobs lost. Plus the knock-on effect of suppliers, etc.

But hey - it's only eight jobs. Have we become that uncaring?

And downright smug?

This is yet more evidence, if any were needed, that the City Council are succeeding in their apparent mission to destroy the retail centre of Waterford City.

Poor traffic management, coupled with a seeming desire to actually discourage people to drive their cars into town, ridiculously high rates (with no understanding or appreciation of the hardship this causes to businesses - "we don't care, you have to pay it") are some but not all of the evidence of this policy.

They are a blinkered, obstinate, unsympathetic, inefficient crowd of self-serving delusionists.

With them in charge it's no wonder the city centre is going down the toilet.

The blame lies squarely and fully at the feet of the City Council, for either their actions or omissions.

The best and most realistic post on this thread. By a long shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Some earlier posts from this thread:

"cbl593h there is some truth in that, places like Kelly's are retail relics, always looked a bit "Are You Being Served?". I'd imagine the wedding trade was what just about kept it going as long as it was open."

"Times change, are we going to all going to lament what we didn't use?? I think not."

I would certainly lament the closure of ANY business in this city. ANY.

As I said, hope it keeps fine for everyone.

Eight lobs lost. Plus the knock-on effect of suppliers, etc.

But hey - it's only eight jobs. Have we become that uncaring?

And downright smug?

Out of interest how many times did you shop in Kelly's?

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    Out of interest how many times did you shop in Kelly's?

Does it matter Finnbar? Have we really become this callous?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Does it matter Finnbar? Have we really become this callous?

I don't see where anyone posting on this thread is callous.

What we have to do is face up to the facts. I shopped in Kelly's once for a wedding present and that was it. I've asked other people have they ever shopped in Kelly's and the answer was no or just the once, usually for a gift.

There is also stiff competition, not only from other shops but from online shopping as well.

Of course I hate when anyone loses their job. I've lost mine, my sister lost hers and I know plenty of others who are unemployed or underemployed and struggling to pay mortgages and raise children.

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    I don't see where anyone posting on this thread is callous.

What we have to do is face up to the facts. I shopped in Kelly's once for a wedding present and that was it. I've asked other people have they ever shopped in Kelly's and the answer was no or just the once, usually for a gift.

There is also stiff competition, not only from other shops but from online shopping as well.

Of course I hate when anyone loses their job. I've lost mine, my sister lost hers and I know plenty of others who are unemployed or underemployed and struggling to pay mortgages and raise children.

I am truly sorry to hear that Finbar. But should we think less of other people's woes? I have given examples above of how callous people have been.

I am truly sorry to hear that Finbar. But should we think less of other people's woes? I have given examples above of how callous people have been.

Callous? By pointing out that they had a product or service that clearly not many people wanted anymore?

That's like wondering why my **** on a stick business isn't doing the business I thought it would. Nobody wants it, that's why. You're completely missing the point of people's posts here.

Nobody's thinking less of it, they're just pointing out why it may not have done so well.

Callous? By pointing out that they had a product or service that clearly not many people wanted anymore?

That's like wondering why my **** on a stick business isn't doing the business I thought it would. Nobody wants it, that's why. You're completely missing the point of people's posts here.

Nobody's thinking less of it, they're just pointing out why it may not have done so well.

I'm not disagreeing Jason. But people's choice of words and phrases leave an awful lot to be desired. They really do.

• Advertisement

I'm not disagreeing Jason. But people's choice of words and phrases leave an awful lot to be desired. They really do.

We'll agree to disagree there girl. :)

:)
    We'll agree to disagree there girl. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Do you not seriously think that the impending increase factored into this? Given the amount of square footage that all three floors of Kelly's covered?

Seriously?

Remember, one local business has already advised that they have to make a staff member redundant in order to pay these outrageous - and outdated - charges.
    You said "increase in rates", I'm just saying there was no increase in rates. I don't think an impending increase would put someone out of business, what I mean by that is that most businesses (especially one running for 166 years) would try to survive for as long as possible and wouldn't just close because of an increase that won't happen until next year. Of course the cost of rates in general is a contributing factor to a business closing or them having to make staff redundant.

P.S. Three floors! I didn't even know it was that big, I don't think I ever stepped foot in the place and I'm living in Waterford all my life.

You said "increase in rates", I'm just saying there was no increase in rates. I don't think an impending increase would put someone out of business, what I mean by that is that most businesses (especially one running for 166 years) would try to survive for as long as possible and wouldn't just close because of an increase that won't happen until next year. Of course the cost of rates in general is a contributing factor to a business closing or them having to make staff redundant.

P.S. Three floors! I didn't even know it was that big, I don't think I ever stepped foot in the place and I'm living in Waterford all my life.

It's actually huge P. The rates are recognised as a huge impediment to the sustenance of businesses in Waterford City going forward. Even very small shops (and I'm talking tiny) in the City Centre have received ludicrous assessments. It will be make or break for a lot of them.:(

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

It's actually huge P. The rates are recognised as a huge impediment to the sustenance of businesses in Waterford City going forward. even very small shops (and I'm talking tiny) in the City Centre have received ludicrous assessments. It will be make or break for a lot of them.:(

While there is a very high chance the new rates 'reform' based on more 'up t to date' evaluations could further threaten businesses - I don't think it will have an immediate impact and certainly not before the rates are introduced. That's what is being said in relation to Kelly's who made more of a point about people not shopping locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭webpal

mike65 wrote: »
    One of the oldest retail outlets in the country is about to shut its doors. 160 years in business. :(

On a separate note my late father was born over Kelly's, never occurred to me to ask him why when he was alive as I guess I never thought Kelly's was in business that long (born 1935). Was it always on the quay?

Advertisement