Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Half Mara - 21st Sept

Options
  • 21-08-2013 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭

Sorry if there is already a thread for this, but I couldn't find it :o

http://dublinmarathon.ie/race-series/dublin-half-marathon

Anyone signed up for this? For those who have done it before, what is the course like? Any significant hills I should be aware of :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RunRoryRun

This will be my 3rd year doing it. It's good - sort of a figure of 8 of the park running down chesterfield avenue twice and taking a left the first time and a right the second time at the bottom.

First half is quite flat or at least has no steep uphills. The toughest hills start after mile 10 up Military Road and again with a long drag on the Upper Glen Road. Both fine on their own but would prefer them to be out of the way earlier :) .

Mile 12 to finish is flat though, so it's good for a strong finish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

RubyK wrote: »

Anyone signed up for this? For those who have done it before, what is the course like? Any significant hills I should be aware of :)

As Phoenix park goes, it's a fairly fast course; however all the hills are over the last 3 miles.
    There is a nice little double whammy of hills as you come back into the park just after mile 10 (short but steepish hills) then it's flat for a mile through the Sbends before a long drag from mile 12-13 up the Glenn rd. So just keep it in mind and save some energy for the end of the race.

Here's my garmin to last years course. It seems to be still the same: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/222981940

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Thanks Rory and Meno, appreciate the replies. Thanks for the garmin link too :)

I haven't raced a half, since Kildare in May 2012, so could really do with signing up for this, to see what lack of shape I'm in for DCM.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

RubyK wrote: »

Its a nice enough course, you get to go through Farmleigh which is great. But a word of warning: Keep something in the tank for the last 3 miles. You come back into the park from chapelizod road and its a sharp climb to military hill which itself is a bitch, expecially if the wind is in your face. And its climbing more or less thereafter to the finish. You could easily lose 2 or 3 minutes over those last 3 miles if you're cooked by the time you've hit the 10 mile point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

tunguska wrote: »
    Its a nice enough course, you get to go through Farmleigh is great. But a word of warning: Keep something in the tank for the last 3 miles. You come back into the park from chapelizod road and its a sharp climb to military hill which itself is a bitch, expecially if the wind is in your face. And its climbing more or less thereafter to the finish. You could easily lose 2 or 3 minutes over those last 3 miles if you're cooked by the time you've hit the 10 mile point.

Jebas, sounds like a tough last few miles! Thanks for the info though :) I remember the pain of Kildare from about mile 10 onwards, and that was pretty much flat from there on in. This could hurt :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

killer last few miles for this one and worse than the 10 miler yesterday. I'd say after my experience yesterday that one would need to bank loads of time over the first 9.5 miles as it'll be an even tougher finish from 9.5 to end. Lots of opportunity up to that to bank time. This pacing thing is tricky on these kinds of courses:rolleyes: all comes with experience I hope! Why oh why do the hills have to be at the very end:(

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Blarney92

I understand there is pacers for this race but does anyone know at what intervals they'll be at?

Contemplating a shot off sub 100 but if the pacer is at 105 and none at 100 might just go for that and get used to running with pacers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Blarney92 wrote: »
    I understand there is pacers for this race but does anyone know at what intervals they'll be at?

Contemplating a shot off sub 100 but if the pacer is at 105 and none at 100 might just go for that and get used to running with pacers

Pacers are 1:30, 1:40, 1:50 and 2 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Ososlo wrote: »
    killer last few miles for this one and worse than the 10 miler yesterday. I'd say after my experience yesterday that one would need to bank loads of time over the first 9.5 miles as it'll be an even tougher finish from 9.5 to end. Lots of opportunity up to that to bank time. This pacing thing is tricky on these kinds of courses:rolleyes: all comes with experience I hope! Why oh why do the hills have to be at the very end:(

At least you have some experience of it now. I did this half last year too and after doing most of my training on flat (no real hills where I did my LSR) I was very unprepared for those last 3 miles. So for the half and yesterdays race I made sure to factor in hills in my training this year. Knowing what was coming yesterday was half the battle along with knowing I had managed them in training. just remember too to keep something in the tank! I'm sure if you keep up the training along with the experience of yesterday you'll be fine

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    At least you have some experience of it now. I did this half last year too and after doing most of my training on flat (no real hills where I did my LSR) I was very unprepared for those last 3 miles. So for the half and yesterdays race I made sure to factor in hills in my training this year. Knowing what was coming yesterday was half the battle along with knowing I had managed them in training. just remember too to keep something in the tank! I'm sure if you keep up the training along with the experience of yesterday you'll be fine

thanks. I know the hills like the back of my hand so no excuses for me really, I just wish the hills could be in the middle of the race! I actually don't mind them at all and like the variety of what they bring to the race but it's just very hard to figure out exactly how much time to bank up to that point. I've been told I'm overthinking it all. Possibly:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

It's not that bad, no need to go mad early on.
    Run to 7 miles as you normally would, you then have an opportunity to bank some time over the next 3 mainly flat / downhill miles.
    11 and 13 are hilly, but you do get some respite on mile 12 where you can recover and prepare yourself for the final climb up Glenn Rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭thewolf_ie

Just train on tougher hills. I'm looking forward to this one as it will be my last half until DCM.

thewolf_ie wrote: »
    Just train on tougher hills. I'm looking forward to this one as it will be my last half until DCM.

that's actually a really good idea. The hills of Howth are beckoning me:)

Ososlo wrote: »
    that's actually a really good idea. The hills of Howth are beckoning me:)

Jeez, I've cycled those.....the thought of running them is a scary prospect, not something I'd ever considered! I'll leave that to you, I'll stick to the Phoenix park for now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

I'll be pacing 1:40 with Marthastew's OH and Beepbeep. Be sure to say hello!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

Bottled water at the three stations this year.
    There will also be a lucozade station at the 7 mile water station.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Blarney92

belcarra wrote: »

Will do- hopefully I'll be able to stick with you guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Will do- hopefully I'll be able to stick with you guys!

It will be a stroll in the park ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

Out of the race with an injury. Disappointed :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭rob w

Might try and stick with you guys too.....would love a 1:40 this year. Hopefully I wont trail too far behind!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

rob w wrote: »
    Might try and stick with you guys too.....would love a 1:40 this year. Hopefully I wont trail too far behind!

If you struggle the 1.50's will give you a kick up the ar5e ;)

sgarvan wrote: »
    Out of the race with an injury. Disappointed :(

Sorry to hear that sgarvan. Hope it's nothing too serious and you're back training and racing again soon

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

menoscemo wrote: »
    Pacers are 1:30, 1:40, 1:50 and 2 hours.

Shame I thought there might be a 1:45 pace group.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭bman

I am hoping for sub 1:40 so might try to stick with you guys too. How does pacing work? (I'm a bit of a running event noob) Will you go at a constant pace for the whole race? Or will you be doing splits to suit the course (i.e. quicker on the flats / downhills to leave extra leeway on the uphills)?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

bman wrote: »
    I am hoping for sub 1:40 so might try to stick with you guys too. How does pacing work? (I'm a bit of a running event noob) Will you go at a constant pace for the whole race? Or will you be doing splits to suit the course (i.e. quicker on the flats / downhills to leave extra leeway on the uphills)?

The more the merrier!
    I believe the official word is even splits, however we'll do a more detailed course analysis closer to the event and will probably have a few seconds banked from down Chesterfield to make the hillier final miles a little more manageable.
    Stay tuned and we'll see you right!

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭bman

The more the merrier!
    I believe the official word is even splits, however we'll do a more detailed course analysis closer to the event and will probably have a few seconds banked from down Chesterfield to make the hillier final miles a little more manageable.
    Stay tuned and we'll see you right!

Cheers. Will keep an eye on this thread and hopefully manage my first sub 1:40 on the day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

What's the course like in around Farmleigh for the 5th & 6th mile? Is it uphill, downhill or level? I've a fair idea of the rest of the course from the 10 mile race. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭overpronator

Who might the 1:30 pacers be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

1:30
    KielyUnusual
    blockic
    roro2

1:40
    Beepbeep
    MrMarthaStew
    Belcarra

1:50
    MarthaStew
    Menoscemo
    digger2d2

2:00
    Izoard
    PaulieC
    40whit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭BarneyJ

Has anyone received their number in the post for the HM yet? I was expecting to have received it by now. I suppose there is still 2 weeks to go.

Advertisement