Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Half Mara - 21st Sept

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭wobblemouth

Organisers have confirmed the death of a runner on Facebook. So sad, I was one of those that assisted at the time.
    So so sad.

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Smartguy

Sympathies to family and friends.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭eldiva

Organisers have confirmed the death of a runner on Facebook. So sad, I was one of those that assisted at the time.
    So so sad.

RIP

Terrible news. Thoughts are with friends and family.

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Thanks for acknowledging my existence. I was honoured.

I couldn't have you giving out for another year.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Phoole

Thats really sad to hear. That poor guy and his family. It certainly puts my injury in to perspective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭NeedsTraining

That is terrible news. May he rest in peace and condolences to his family and friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Results up already, have to say TDL do a great job.

http://www.tdl.ltd.uk/race-results.php?event=1443

Looks like Charleville will be pretty stacked tomorrow though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I've never seen so many ambulances during a race, it looked like a lot of people were suffering. Hearing of a death puts all thoughts of dnf and injuries into perspective. RIP to the man who died and thoughts and prayers to his family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

PaulieC wrote: »
    I've never seen so many ambulances during a race, it looked like a lot of people were suffering. Hearing of a death puts all thoughts of dnf and injuries into perspective. RIP to the man who died and thoughts and prayers to his family.

So sad. RIP. What the hell happened out there today? I was running a MP workout in another part of the PP at the same time and it didn't feel crazy hot/ humid? Sucks hearing about that kind of carnage in a road race- hope everyone else is ok....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

PaulieC wrote: »

That's really sobering & so sad for him and his family. Thought the same about the number of ambulances out there today. Found it really hot and knew from about 3 miles it was going to be a tough day. Came in at 2.11 a minute outside my pb. Was a bit disappointed but it's all in perspective now given that sad news. R.I.P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

What a sad and shocking thing to happen. It is terrible. God Rest Him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

drquirky wrote: »
    So sad. RIP. What the hell happened out there today? I was running a MP workout in another part of the PP at the same time and it didn't feel crazy hot/ humid? Sucks hearing about that kind of carnage in a road race- hope everyone else is ok....

not sure what caused it, maybe the weather. I didn't think it was excessively hot, but I was pacing the 2:00 hours, so not exactly pushing hard. As far as I remember there were not too many points when we were running in full sunshine, but the last three miles were. Couple that with the hills at that stage and that's probably what caused it. I know we had a pretty big crowd around us until the last mile, so the hills really did do a lot of folks in.
    I'm in shock tbh at a death, his poor family must be devastated. I can't imagine how they must feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭hawkwing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Absolutely shocking. My heart goes out to his family and friends. Piecing together information from other logs, it seems he was running a good time too so was obviously pretty fit. Just goes to show, you never know what's going to happen.

Sounds like it was a very tough race. Well done to all who finished and to those who didn't, try not to feel too bad. Every now and then a freak race comes along and you don't do yourself justice. Best just to forget about it and move on to the next race.

hawkwing wrote: »

Bad news travels fast :mad:. I don't see any of the positives mentioning the 5413 people who finished it, or any mention of the winners in their sports section. Anyway that's an aside.

RIP. Heart goes out tovthe mans family obviously. I use to get a yearly check up but have let it lapse the last few years will be getting some tests after today and I'd encourage others to do likewise even if you feel ok and have been running for years. The GAA do these tests regularly on their intercounty players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

TRR wrote: »
    Hard luck with the DNF. you are running DCM aren't you. The best thing you can do is forget about today and jump into a race when you're feeling better. Maybe try a parkrun next weekend just to get the confidence back. We all have bad days, put it in the past and move on.
    Thanks TRR. Yes I'm running DCM (hopefully). 5k race sounds good. Would love another opportunity to race soon.

In hindsight, I'm really glad now I dropped out at 7 miles. I just wasn't able to race today. My body was speaking very strongly to me and I'm very glad I listened and stopped running when I did. Yeah I've felt like hell in races before but feeling that bad half way through was not normal and I would only consider it to be ok near the end of a race when I'm usually a retching wreck anyways!
    I'm devastated with what happened to that poor guy today.
    Condolences to his family. It must have been very difficult for all the other runners passing by when he was being treated too. Hope all who observed are doing ok...

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭iMac Hunt

I had never seen so many people today being attended to by ambulances at any race I've ran! It was surprisingly humid, actually had to walk the last 3 miles myself and saw this guy collapsed at the 11 mile mark, he looked conscious at the time, a young guy who looked quite fit so am absolutely shocked to hear this! Condolences to his family.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Ososlo wrote: »
    Bad day for me but puts it all in perspective reading what happened to those poor guys who collapsed.
    DNF for the first race in the 16 I've done. Plagued with stitches and nausea a few miles in and the pace that I am well capable of was just too hard for me today. HR way up the last few days and ridiculously high this morning and I felt sick since I woke so my body just rejected the gels I took at mile 6. It was messy:o and my Garmin kept losing reception which has never happened me before in a race so I was all over the place. I just couldn't go on and I'm not a quitter normally. Didn't have it in me today.
    Really hope those guys who collapsed recover well.

You did the right thing not finishing. Remember I did the HM on Kerry head in June? I felt something go between mile 10 and 11 and I wish ti God I had pulled up there and then. But the fact that I continued on with a limp totally screwed up an entire years work towards DCM. Your unlucky day is behind you now. You did the right thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Sounds like a tough one today.

RIP to that poor man and condolences to his family. What a terrible thing to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

iMac Hunt wrote: »
    I had never seen so many people today being attended to by ambulances at any race I've ran! It was really humid and there wasn't as many water stations as usual, actually had to walk the last 3 miles myself and saw this guy collapsed at the 11 mile mark, he looked conscious at the time, a young guy who looked quite fit so am absolutely shocked to hear this! Condolences to his family.

In fairness to the organisers I think there was the usual number of water stations and plenty of water when I passed. Just a terrible tragedy but no blame to the organisers imo

• Advertisement

iMac Hunt wrote: »
    I had never seen so many people today being attended to by ambulances at any race I've ran! It was really humid and there wasn't as many water stations as usual, actually had to walk the last 3 miles myself and saw this guy collapsed at the 11 mile mark, he looked conscious at the time, a young guy who looked quite fit so am absolutely shocked to hear this! Condolences to his family.

Is this right? I counted 3. That's not bad in my opinion. I wouldn't normally take water on board during a half but I took 3 bottles today, was pumping sweat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I paced 1:50; was a tough day with many dropping off pace. An ambulance came up behind us after 10 miles to attend the poor runner who has since passed away. We were all forced off the side of the road to the grass verge but 1 runner continued to run oblivious to the ambulance in the middle off the road. Eventually I had to forcibly drag her to the side to let the ambulance past. She was wearing an iPod and apparently was unaware of what was happening. Her immediate reaction was to be hostile to me of course, until I pointed out the ambulance....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Some photos from around Islandbridge, including a few of the pacer 'trains'

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mickhanney/sets/72157635724315546/

RIP, am upset to hear that.

Personally had a disappointing day, I think I underestimated the course, and went out too quickly.

Was almost thinking of a DNF around mile 10, which I have never done in 8 years running. Struggled on, and actually picked it up for the last mile.

Came in at 1 45, was hoping for much better than that, possibly sub 1 40.
    (I did this course in 1 36 before, however that was 7 years ago :o)

Felt very rough after it, not the usual post-13 mile feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Blacktoe

The third person who got into difficulty was a mate of mine, he just called me and he's OK. Was on a drip for 2 hours but thankfully nothing more serious.

Is your mate the guy who was in trouble after about mile 12? Slim guy, grey hair, think he was wearing a light blue top. I seen him staggering a bit when I was passing, I put my hand on him to steady him and he jumped a little. I told him he should sit down, I asked a girl who was walking in the park in the opposite direction to bring some water to him (she had a bottle with her). I have been regretting not stopping for longer since I finished, I hope the guy is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

menoscemo wrote: »
    I paced 1:50; was a tough day with many dropping off pace. An ambulance came up behind us after 10 miles to attend the poor runner who has since passed away. We were all forced off the side of the road to the grass verge but 1 runner continued to run oblivious to the ambulance in the middle off the road. Eventually I had to forcibly drag her to the side to let the ambulance past. She was wearing an iPod and apparently was unaware of what was happening. Her immediate reaction was to be hostile to me of course, until I pointed out the ambulance....
    Completely off topic, but what a dopey mare! How loud is your iPod on if you don't hear an ambulance coming behind you? I used to wear headphones in races, but very anti them now, it's so dangerous not to know what's going on around you.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭iMac Hunt

kit3 wrote: »
    In fairness to the organisers I think there was the usual number of water stations and plenty of water when I passed. Just a terrible tragedy but no blame to the organisers imo

Apologies, I didn't intend to sound like I was blaming the organizers, was just commenting on my own experience today. The Dublin Rock n Roll half marathon had four water stations and I've ran others that had as many as five and hadn't realised that there was three today so didn't take on as much water as I should have.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ross Runner

People with earphones are a menace!! if you cant run without music stay in the gym on the threadmill......
    by the way i was the guy asking people to stay on the right handside of the road going up military hill and was told by one guy to go F myself and to get a life....
    so upset now after everything thats happend... thats the third time this year ive been around people having trouble in races and what happend to that man today takes all the good out of running.... so so sad for his family!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

People with earphones are a menace!! if you cant run without music stay in the gym on the threadmill......
    by the way i was the guy asking people to stay on the right handside of the road going up military hill and was told by one guy to go F myself and to get a life....
    so upset now after everything thats happend... thats the third time this year ive been around people having trouble in races and what happend to that man today takes all the good out of running.... so so sad for his family!

Report his number and get him a DQ, no place for abuse like that

Advertisement