Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Half Mara - 21st Sept

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Report his number and get him a DQ, no place for abuse like that

If i had of heard someone abusing the stewards like that I would of said something myself. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

People with earphones are a menace!! if you cant run without music stay in the gym on the threadmill......

I honestly think we need to ban ear phones !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Enjoyed my stewarding at islandbridge this morning. Great day for it. Very sad about that guy who would have gone past me shortly before his collapse. The ambulance and fire brigade (why?) went in our gate after the incident. The heat was a factor with quite a few people in difficulty.

Great to see some familiar faces and be able to give a supportive shout to runners, particularly those with club vests I recognised.

If you can't take part in a race consider volunteering and helping out. Its a nice way of giving something back. Its an enjoyable experience.

Little Pea wrote: »
    I honestly think we need to ban ear phones !
    I agree. Makes giving encouragement a waste of time if the runners can't hear you :confused:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Vico1612 wrote: »
    Update from Dublin Marathon Facebook page

The organisers of the Airtricity Dublin Race Series regret to confirm the collapse and subsequent death of a male participant in today's Half Marathon.

The runner collapsed at around the eleven mile mark, and was aided by fellow runners and was attended to by the St. John’s Ambulance medical crew on site. He was then transferred by ambulance to hospital, but was later pronounced dead.

We would like to express our sincere condolences to the family and friends of the deceased and would ask that the family's privacy is respected at this time.

RIP

Puts it all into perspective today, dont understand how you can go out for a run and not come home :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

People with earphones are a menace!! if you cant run without music stay in the gym on the threadmill......
    by the way i was the guy asking people to stay on the right handside of the road going up military hill and was told by one guy to go F myself and to get a life....
    so upset now after everything thats happend... thats the third time this year ive been around people having trouble in races and what happend to that man today takes all the good out of running.... so so sad for his family!

What a total and utter tool bag. He needs a good kick in the arse. What sort of person abuses a volunteer, who's given up a sunny Saturday morning to keep them safe??? That's worse than headphone girl!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Enjoyed my stewarding at islandbridge this morning. Great day for it.

Might have been you who gave me a C'mon Boards shout at the gate there. Was much appreciated. A better day for stewarding than for running, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭ooter

Terrible news about that lad,may he RIP.
    Seen an ambulance travelling worryingly quickly past me in the opposite direction around the 12 mile marker,must've been heading to assist him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Enjoyed my stewarding at islandbridge this morning. Great day for it. Very sad about that guy who would have gone past me shortly before his collapse. The ambulance and fire brigade (why?) went in our gate after the incident. The heat was a factor with quite a few people in difficulty.

Great to see some familiar faces and be able to give a supportive shout to runners, particularly those with club vests I recognised.

If you can't take part in a race consider volunteering and helping out. Its a nice way of giving something back. Its an enjoyable experience.

Thanks for the support out there. I know someone else stewarding today and her encouragement was great. Along with others, it does make a big difference. To me anyway! I am one who listens to headphones as I find it a good distraction. In response to another post you made don't think that your encouragement is wasted on people with them....it was much appreciated. Sorry to hear about that other persons experience with that ignorant man, certainly not reflective of the majority. Thanks again

It was a day for tools today. The amount of them trying to drive into the park through the Islandbridge gate during the race was incredible. Some of them had a sense of entitlement. Don't you understand I am going to the zoo ?

This is despite the fact that this gate is no entry at any time! I would have lost my patience. How the gard at our gate kept her cool I don't know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

My first half today and felt it so much more than the 10m. passed as the poor lad was being taken off in the ambulance.. Horrible thing to happen.

Big thanks to the guy in the yellow T-shirt in the last mile, was giving everyone around loads of encouragement and getting people moving..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

It was a day for tools today. The amount of them trying to drive into the park through the Islandbridge gate during the race was incredible. Some of them had a sense of entitlement. Don't you understand I am going to the zoo ?

This is despite the fact that this gate is no entry at any time! I would have lost my patience. How the gard at our gate kept her cool I don't know.

You are always gonna get the few, bold and proud :rolleyes:. I got a barrage of abuse from one particular gentleman when it was announced that I was finished with massages for the day (This was after nearly constant 4 hours on my own) because I had to go to work.

Politely offered him a time slot for a booking on Monday which was followed up by silence and storming off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭ooter

The words of encouragement from random people in the park were greatly appreciated and brought a smile to my face.I was wearing my frank Duffy 10 mile t shirt and as I was passing one young lad I heard him say "mam,are men allowed to wear pink?" :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

Chap I know who was a steward today said there were 3 cardiac arrests on the couse today. Mental if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Seemed like that. I saw five people being medically attended to on my way around and I'm sure there were more behind me. Never seen as many in any other race.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭galwayspur

Didn't go well for me today either. I suffered from a recent lack of miles in the last 2 weeks and the heat sapped it out of me - tank felt empty after 7 miles. 1:50:30 after aiming for 1:45. Thanks to the organisers and the crowd along the way, all much appreciated.

After reading about the runner that passed away, any of my own race moans are put well into perspective. I hope he had someone there with him. RIP.

Fair play to the ambulance crews and many voluntary first-aiders that were there to help today, one of the busier days for them. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

Not a great day for me either. Hoping for under two hours and finished in 2hrs ten mins. So sad to hear about the runner who passed away. Puts everything in perspective when disappointed with a time. Seemed to me that a lot of people were suffering today. Saw several people sitting at side from mile eleven on .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

I didn't do the race myself, due to a dodgy IT band wrecking my prep for the past two weeks. Played a rugby match today and have just read the sad news of the runner passing away.

Condolences with the family, it's never good seeing a young person pass away, even more so when it's someone trying to stay fit and active and improve their health.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

statss wrote: »
    Chap I know who was a steward today said there were 3 cardiac arrests on the couse today. Mental if true.

There was one down chesterfield ave way anyway, running along the footpath there. coming up to cross the road, a garda stopped all the runners to allow an ambulance to get to the guy.

One guy of course could not deal with a 20 second wait, because obviously his HM time was more important than an ambulance getting to a heart attack victim, and he ran out in front of, and delayed the ambulance.

I was looking at the results and saw that about 6-8 people got DQ, I would like to this these were people that didn't move out of the way for ambulances, or the guy who verbally abused the steward.

Anyone know why or how people got DQ? is it or taking obvious shortcuts?

• Advertisement

cloneslad wrote: »
    I was looking at the results and saw that about 6-8 people got DQ, I would like to this these were people that didn't move out of the way for ambulances, or the guy who verbally abused the steward.

Anyone know why or how people got DQ? is it or taking obvious shortcuts?

Possibly running under someone elses names (can be obvious if a man is running with a female runner as I heard one person mention out there today)

EDit responding to a Q that has since been deleted.

Because the ambulance was coming down the other side of the road I think.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Genuine question, why were people being asked to stay on the right?

Always run facing oncoming traffic?

I wasn't there, but as we drive in the left, I assume that's why you were told to stay to the right.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

ecoli wrote: »
    Possibly running under someone elses names (can be obvious if a man is running with a female runner as I heard one person mention out there today)

Pink numbers for girls. White numbers for boys.

I'm all for exchanging numbers but it's a good ploy from the organisers. Many still slip through the net though.

Pink numbers for girls. White numbers for boys.

I'm all for exchanging numbers but it's a good ploy from the organisers. Many still slip through the net though.

I'm not. What if the poor guy today had been running under someone else's number today? No name, No address and no way to track down the family

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭AlsoRan

God it was a tough day out there today. I think I knew by mile 3 that it wasn't going to be my day today. Just tried to adjust my expectations and keep plodding along and finish the race. Very sad about the runner who died and to be honest it was hard seeing so many down injured, you felt for them as you tried to keep going. I think the hills coupled with the humidity out there made it a lot harder than normal, those last three miles were very hard going. I know as mentioned there were a few strange runners out there today, but I have to say the camaraderie on the whole was very good, good crowd support and encouragement from other runners. Luckily I met a friend while I struggled in the last half mile and that got me over the line with a smile on my face.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭fletch

Had a target of 1'30" so positioned myself with the 1'30" pacers. Stuck with them til about 12 miles and was still feeling good so I pushed ahead of them up the last hill crossing the line well under 1'30". Absolutely delighted. That happiness was short lived thought when I got home and read the news about the runner passing away. Just can't believe it. Keeps bringing a tear to my eye when I think about it. Will definitely be going for a checkup pre-DCM.

I'm not. What if the poor guy today had been running under someone else's number today? No name, No address and no way to track down the family

I actually thought of this when I read about him.

The warriors run has a grey number exchange system in place, allows you to swap numbers on their site up to a number of days before the race. I know it's okay for them as the race is a sell out anyway, but it's nice to have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭gate22

The truck has all paramedics on board to assist Ambulance crew. Like everyone else it was terrible to hear what happened the chap, prayers go out to him his family & friends and the medics who tried their best. I did notice a lot of people seeking medical attention along the route & afterwards. As regards abuse bib number and report and the earphones bother me as people cant hear instructions by fellow runners

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

If organisers would facilitate it that wouldn't be an issue. No reason why numbers can not be transferred from one runner to another upto a few days before a race.

Advertisement