Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Half Mara - 21st Sept

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭HTCJoeSoap

And for those who might be interested - here's a link to where you can get an Exercise ECG done.

http://www.dublinhealthscreening.ie/Exercise_Electrocardiogram.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭randomCluster

cb102 wrote: »
    Many thanks to the 90min pacers on the Half on Saturday, especially on the hills.
    Ye helped my achieve my sub 90 goal for my first half.
    thanks

Well done, especially your first half and the day that was in it.

I set off with the 90min pacers with the best intentions. I clocked a 1:32 in rock n roll hm and have been training well. After 3 miles I found it too fast and dropped back to 7:20 min p/m. The heat made things really tough for me in the 2nd half and I let myself think too negatively. Finished in 1:36. Learnt a valuable lesson about race strategy and making a readjustment.

I thought the Kyber came a bit too soon and found the pack a bit too tight. Otherwise it was a scenic but challenging course.

Fair play to the organisers, volunteers, Guards, and St. John's Ambulance service on what was a very testing day for them.

My sincerest condolences to the family of the young man who passed away at the top of military hill. I passed by and saw a lady runner in a purple and black top attempting CPR on him. Another lady runner was also present trying to comfort him. Having no medical experience or background I considered it best to keep moving. I said a few prayers for the next mile or so and took it easy for the last 2 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

pac_man wrote: »
    I know its a bit off topic from the race but I think its important. When people are saying you should get yourself checked, what do I ask my GP or what do I get checked for?

Best test would be a CT scan on your heart. ECG just isn't good enough. Plus cholesterol is not as good an indicator of heart trouble as getting your Homocysteine levels checked. A lot of people have high Cholesterol but a low H value and are fine and then theres people with low Cholesterol but a high H value who have massive heart attacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 shoottherunner

cb102 wrote: »
    Many thanks to the 90min pacers on the Half on Saturday, especially on the hills.
    Ye helped my achieve my sub 90 goal for my first half.
    thanks

Also wanted to thank the 90 min pacers for getting me over the line (with ten seconds to spare) for my first sub 90. Stayed about ten metres behind them for the whole race and still had something left in the engine for the hills as a result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

HTCJoeSoap wrote: »
    And for those who might be interested - here's a link to where you can get an Exercise ECG done.

I know people have sort of answered this, but I was wondering if there are any standard guidelines etc - when you see advice that people should be 'screened' before a marathon, what's best - a stress test / exercise ECG, or a GP health check where they do bloods, cholesterol, resting ECG etc?

The first seems more exercise-related, but would the second reveal (potentially) a broader spectrum of problems?

Has anyone ever been checked out before a marathon and if so what did it involve?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭eldiva

HelenAnne wrote: »
    I know people have sort of answered this, but I was wondering if there are any standard guidelines etc - when you see advice that people should be 'screened' before a marathon, what's best - a stress test / exercise ECG, or a GP health check where they do bloods, cholesterol, resting ECG etc?

The first seems more exercise-related, but would the second reveal (potentially) a broader spectrum of problems?

Has anyone ever been checked out before a marathon and if so what did it involve?

I would recommend the exercise ECG. A resting ECG and bloods may show any precongenital disposition but the exercise ECG allows the practioner to see if there are any risk factors/abnormalities when the heart is under stress. AAI should provide a cardiac screening form for any major event like the half marathon and marathon just like the GAA and FAI have done to the local clubs

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭vintagecosmos

HTCJoeSoap wrote: »

I contacted them and they said they dont do them. They said I need a referral from my GP to go to VIncents or Blackrock...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

• Registered Users Posts: 31 SB5

Laois_Man wrote: »

RIP William....a day I will never forget!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Laois_Man wrote: »

Out of morbid curiosity I searched his name for the Frank Duffy race a few weeks ago and he ran 66mins. 32 mins for the 5 miler aswell so he was of a decent standard and not somebody who was racing for the first time.
    Its crazy how that can happen, I wonder if he had any history at all with his heart or if there were any warning signs in the lead up to the race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭ooter

ran by the spot where that lad passed away on my run today,a group of people where there who looked like family and friends,they looked devastated.
    RIP.

Advertisement