Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving a door sensor

Options
  • 21-08-2013 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hi,

I need to move a front door sensor as we are putting in a new door and the door position is also moving. From gathering bits from various posts here I think these are the correct steps. Can you tell me if I’m missing a step or if one of the steps below is wrong etc. Thanks in advance.
    • No need to remove the mains power or battery.
    • Unscrew the lid on the door sensor and take photo of existing wiring. Take a note of the number of cores in the wiring as this will be needed for the extension bit.
    • Alarm will go off due to tampering but my usual code will silence it.
    • Remove the sensors off the door and place them together with the non-wired contact so as it will always think the door is closed. Now free to take away front door.
    • Once the new front door is in, connect an alarm cable extension to the existing cable using Gel Crimps (can anything else be used?).
    • Put sensor on new door and wire up as before.
    • Again if alarm goes off due to tampering my usual code will silence it.
    • Job Done......hopefully.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

You have pretty much everything covered there I think.
      For the junction you could also use a surface mounted tampered junction box or solder & tape the join.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Groucho2000

Thanks KoolKid. Much appreciated.

Advertisement