Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*JC 2013/2014 Off-Topic Thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Xgracie

Hi everyone! Only found this now sorry for being so late! Anyway I'm doing my jc this year (obvs) and my mocks are starting feb 7th and not over till the 25th gah! What about everyone else? I'm finding it so hard to study as I get about 4 hours hw a night (no lie) & it takes me like an hour to do one chapter of science (I'm awful at it) business etc. any advice? Also for the pros and filiocht in Irish? I'm pretty confident with my litir and can learn an eachtra but havnt even thought about those 2

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭IrishLassie26

Xgracie wrote: »
    Hi everyone! Only found this now sorry for being so late! Anyway I'm doing my jc this year (obvs) and my mocks are starting feb 7th and not over till the 25th gah! What about everyone else? I'm finding it so hard to study as I get about 4 hours hw a night (no lie) & it takes me like an hour to do one chapter of science (I'm awful at it) business etc. any advice? Also for the pros and filiocht in Irish? I'm pretty confident with my litir and can learn an eachtra but havnt even thought about those 2

I`m the exact same as you with homework. I thought it was bad but all this week and last week they just piled it on. Our mocks start next Tuesday but I`m just going to take them as they come. Dont bother panicing it does no good. I`m working my way through the exam papers and learning common questions that come up. As for the Irish dont worry either. For our Christmas tests I read over my Pros answer the night before and got full marks in it. If you tell the story and say ..... can be seen here I find that works. I`m only doing one pros and filiocht for the mocks as something usually comes up under the theme given anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Xgracie

I`m the exact same as you with homework. I thought it was bad but all this week and last week they just piled it on. Our mocks start next Tuesday but I`m just going to take them as they come. Dont bother panicing it does no good. I`m working my way through the exam papers and learning common questions that come up. As for the Irish dont worry either. For our Christmas tests I read over my Pros answer the night before and got full marks in it. If you tell the story and say ..... can be seen here I find that works. I`m only doing one pros and filiocht for the mocks as something usually comes up under the theme given anyway :D

Thank you! We didn't have Christmas tests so I have no idea where I'm at, think that's why I'm getting a bit stressed! My Irish teacher is having extra classes next week so I should be ok! Just taking them as they come is the best way for them!

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Msrebeckyxo

Any predictions on what you think might come up in the mocks? Like themes for irish or people in history questions? i personally think theres gonna be alot of the irish history this year! :'( My teacher told us that there's three different types of mock papers throughout the country so even If I know people who have had them before I do, there's no point in asking :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Any predictions on what you think might come up in the mocks? Like themes for irish or people in history questions? i personally think theres gonna be alot of the irish history this year! :'( My teacher told us that there's three different types of mock papers throughout the country so even If I know people who have had them before I do, there's no point in asking :(

Asking about mocks is against the charter of this forum. Please don't do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭CathalRyano

spurious wrote: »

Not saying that I would, as it is against the rules, but why is it not allowed here but allowed on the LC forum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

Not saying that I would, as it is against the rules, but why is it not allowed here but allowed on the LC forum?

You're allowed to talk about the mocks on both forums but you're not allowed to give hints out etc. You're not allowed to ask for hints and all that, but you're allowed to talk about it in general, but nothing relating to the questions that would be considered spoiling. Just read the charter, it explains everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭CathalRyano

You're allowed to talk about the mocks on both forums but you're not allowed to give hints out etc. You're not allowed to ask for hints and all that, but you're allowed to talk about it in general, but nothing relating to the questions that would be considered spoiling. Just read the charter, it explains everything.

But on the LC forum you can give hints? That's what I was asking why it's allowed there but not here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

But on the LC forum you can give hints? That's what I was asking why it's allowed there but not here.

Different place, different rules.
    If you've looked at the LC thread on Mocks you'll see what a nightmare it is. People posting inaccurate information (deliberately or not), posting without spoilers and constantly, repeatedly requesting papers that have been already posted.
    I'd worry about some of them in college if they cannot follow simple rules on a thread.

It also takes up hours of moderator time.

But I'm asking what people's predictions are its not like I'm asking for people to tell me exactly what's on the papers? (Not that anyone actually knows besides teachers). Some of the rules are honestly so silly, seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭pianoperson

Hi guys :) I'm doing my JC in June, but the thing is, my school don't offer mocks. Although most of my friends in other schools who have mocks right now are jealous, I'm actually very worried because it means that prior to the actual Juniro Cert, the longest exam I will have sat is 2 hours, covering only a fraction of topics in the actual exam. Anyone have any tips on how I can prepare (especially over the upcoming midterm break) or is just trying to do past papers in the allocated time my best bet? Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭pizzamad

I know you can order your own mock papers with marking schemes...but they can be very expensive. It's very weird your school dont offer mocks!! Mine are in two weeks ... eeek.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

Hi guys :) I'm doing my JC in June, but the thing is, my school don't offer mocks. Although most of my friends in other schools who have mocks right now are jealous, I'm actually very worried because it means that prior to the actual Juniro Cert, the longest exam I will have sat is 2 hours, covering only a fraction of topics in the actual exam. Anyone have any tips on how I can prepare (especially over the upcoming midterm break) or is just trying to do past papers in the allocated time my best bet? Thanks :)

Your school doesn't do mocks... Please tell me I just didn't hear that! : O

pizzamad wrote: »
    I know you can order your own mock papers with marking schemes...but they can be very expensive. It's very weird your school dont offer mocks!! Mine are in two weeks ... eeek.

Cheers for replying!
    Yeah I know! I have checked about the papers but between getting the papers and getting them corrected, it would amount to almost €200 and just can't afford that sorta money! Good luck in yours anyway :)

Your school doesn't do mocks... Please tell me I just didn't hear that! : O

I know :\ worse thing is they don't have them for Leaving either so I'll be having this dilemma again in 3 years! In the meantime do you have any ideas on anything I could do?! Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Liordi

In the meantime do you have any ideas on anything I could do?! Thanks :)

I'd guess the best thing you can do is do exam papers without using the book and grade yourself to see how well you're doing.
    Naturally enough you couldn't do it for some subjects (e.g English, German letter, French letter, History Account's and whatnot) perhaps you could ask your teacher to correct them for you?
    I know a lot of teachers would be delighted you'd take the initiative of doing the papers yourself.

Ask a teacher would they mind correcting a 'mock' for you. Do not presume they will and do not take offence if they say no. Teachers are asked to do way too many things they are not paid for these days.

I would be on the side of no mocks myself. I found them very disruptive to the running of the school, they told me nothing I did not already know about my students, but worse still, they discouraged many of the weaker students who were sitting full papers in subjects they had not finished the course in.

Ask a teacher would they mind correcting a 'mock' for you. Do not presume they will and do not take offence if they say no. Teachers are asked to do way too many things they are not paid for these days.

I would be on the side of no mocks myself. I found them very disruptive to the running of the school, they told me nothing I did not already know about my students, but worse still, they discouraged many of the weaker students who were sitting full papers in subjects they had not finished the course in.

All of my teachers are offering to correct my essays and exam papers, so that's aload of bull. A teacher hardly wants their student to fail their subject that they teach because it reflects on them as a teacher.

. A teacher hardly wants their student to fail their subject that they teach because it reflects on them as a teacher.

Our Geography teacher said to us that it doesn't matter to her if we all fail or we all get A's - she will still have her job regardless.

Liordi wrote: »
    I'd guess the best thing you can do is do exam papers without using the book and grade yourself to see how well you're doing.
    Naturally enough you couldn't do it for some subjects (e.g English, German letter, French letter, History Account's and whatnot) perhaps you could ask your teacher to correct them for you?
    I know a lot of teachers would be delighted you'd take the initiative of doing the papers yourself.

Yeah I think I will try to do that, thanks. I don't think I would ask my teachers though as they're under enough pressure without having extra stuff to do. Thanks for the idea anyway :)

• Advertisement

Yeah I think I will try to do that, thanks. I don't think I would ask my teachers though as they're under enough pressure without having extra stuff to do. Thanks for the idea anyway :)

Well, in that case - perhaps you should still correct the ones you can by using examinations.ie such as Science, Maths, History (sq, doc's & pics), some language comprehensions (german..french) and listening exams, business, ect.
    Lots you can do without having mocks. :)

Thanks for replying spurious. To be honest, I would feel pretty bad asking a teacher to spend extra time correctimg a mock for me, especially because they're not obliged to do so. The majority of my teachers go out of their way to give us excellent notes and general ways to do as well as we can in exams. My Maths teacher even stays behind with our honours class every week for an hour and a half so that we can get the course finished earlier thus getting more revision. My school is not paying and these extra classes are completely free. I wouldn't feel right asking any of these teachers to spend any more of their time doing extra for me.
    I have seen from various other posts on boards that you are obviously a very experience teacher, so it's of great reassurance that you don't think mocks will hinder my ability to do well in the Junior Cert. Thanks again :)

Liordi wrote: »
    Well, in that case - perhaps you should still correct the ones you can by using examinations.ie such as Science, Maths, History (sq, doc's & pics), some language comprehensions (german..french) and listening exams, business, ect.
    Lots you can do without having mocks. :)

Thanks a million, i will do just that :)

pianoperson, if you want to PM me any People in History type essays you have done, I'll correct them for you. I used to correct JC History a few years ago.

pianoperson, if you want to PM me any People in History type essays you have done, I'll correct them for you. I used to correct JC History a few years ago.

Are you sure spurious? That would be great if you had the time :)

No problem. I'm retired now, so unlike unfortunate teachers in schools, I have not had my 'free' classes taken off me, so I have time to correct extra things.

No problem. I'm retired now, so unlike unfortunate teachers in schools, I have not had my 'free' classes taken off me, so I have time to correct extra things.

That is really nice of you, thank you. I might try to do a couple over midterm in the time I would have in the exam and then PM them to you, if that is ok :)

Absolutely, no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭IrishLassie26

You could set your own mocks by doing past exam papers. The mocks are really to give you a feel of the timing and how you react to the pressure of some of them. Mine are nearly over now, finished Friday. English was the worst of all. Two and a half hours for paper two and didnt get it finished. You`d have to have a quiet place to do it with no interruptions and make sure you stick to the time limits. It would give you a great feel for the exam though, that's what I`d do if I were you!

• Advertisement

People usually write way too much in the Junior and way too little in the Leaving.

Advertisement