Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*JC 2013/2014 Off-Topic Thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭pianoperson

You could set your own mocks by doing past exam papers. The mocks are really to give you a feel of the timing and how you react to the pressure of some of them. Mine are nearly over now, finished Friday. English was the worst of all. Two and a half hours for paper two and didnt get it finished. You`d have to have a quiet place to do it with no interruptions and make sure you stick to the time limits. It would give you a great feel for the exam though, that's what I`d do if I were you!
    Thank you! :) yeah I am going to try this but slightly dreading it because it means 15 papers to do over mid term break :'( it'll be worth it in June though!! Hope your mocks are going great! :)

spurious wrote: »
    People usually write way too much in the Junior and way too little in the Leaving.

I can agree with you from a Junior Cert perspective here, I tend to go into far too much details, especially when it's a subject I enjoy, like history or science, because I know about it and want to write as much as possible!! :')

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Renaissance painter

His name was Leonardo da Vinci, this meant he was from Vinci. It is in Italy.
    He trained with Verrochio.
    He was a painter and invented a type of blurry painting called sfumato.
    He painted the Mona Lisa and another painting called The Last Supper. The Mona Lisa has sfumato in it.
    His paintings are worth lots of money because not many of them survived.
    He was also an inventor. He had notebooks full of ideas for inventions and backwards mirror writing. He designed a helicopter. Some of his inventions worked when they were built. Others didn't.
    He was very interested in anatomy and had this in his notebooks too.

This would get you full marks. You don't need to write two A4 pages like many people do.

Renaissance painter

His name was Leonardo da Vinci, this meant he was from Vinci. It is in Italy.
    He trained with Verrochio.
    He was a painter and invented a type of blurry painting called sfumato.
    He painted the Mona Lisa and another painting called The Last Supper. The Mona Lisa has sfumato in it.
    His paintings are worth lots of money because not many of them survived.
    He was also an inventor. He had notebooks full of ideas for inventions and backwards mirror writing. He designed a helicopter. Some of his inventions worked when they were built. Others didn't.
    He was very interested in anatomy and had this in his notebooks too.

This would get you full marks. You don't need to write two A4 pages like many people do.
    Oh my goodness :o
    My teacher is into giving as much info as possible! In the Christmas tests she told us we had to write 2 A4 pages. I did, about an archeologist and she gave be 19/20 because I didn't mention about items being given to museums! I counted, there were AT LEAST 16 SRPs but our teacher seems to think that if its in the chapter, it has to be in the people in history :/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Oh my goodness :o
    My teacher is into giving as much info as possible! In the Christmas tests she told us we had to write 2 A4 pages. I did, about an archeologist and she gave be 19/20 because I didn't mention about items being given to museums! I counted, there were AT LEAST 16 SRPs but our teacher seems to think that if its in the chapter, it has to be in the people in history :/

That's overkill really and it drives correctors mad, as they have to correct every word written, even when it's clear the candidate has full marks from half way down the first page.

Still, 19/20 all the way through an exam would get you an A.

Don't mind what's in the books. They are not the exam. The marking scheme tells you how each question is marked and for 'People in History' it is 8 SRSs to get 16 marks and then depending on how good the answer is, there is an additional 0-4 to be added on for the total of 20.

So, the answer above would get 16 for having 8 SRSs and it would get 4 OM (Overall marks) for being relevant and on topic.

• Advertisement

That's overkill really and it drives correctors mad, as they have to correct every word written, even when it's clear the candidate has full marks from half way down the first page.

Still, 19/20 all the way through an exam would get you an A.

Don't mind what's in the books. They are not the exam. The marking scheme tells you how each question is marked and for 'People in History' it is 8 SRSs to get 16 marks and then depending on how good the answer is, there is an additional 0-4 to be added on for the total of 20.

So, the answer above would get 16 for having 8 SRSs and it would get 4 OM (Overall marks) for being relevant and on topic.

That's so helpful, thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Msrebeckyxo

Hi! I've English paper 2 tomorrow and I was wondering how should I prepare for the question on the play? I've done The Merchant Of Venice. Thanks!!

Hi! I've English paper 2 tomorrow and I was wondering how should I prepare for the question on the play? I've done The Merchant Of Venice. Thanks!!

I didn't do Merchant of Venice, but if you prepare an answer on a character you like, a character you dislike, theme, setting, pivotal scene and a relationship you should be pretty safe!!

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭smiles_1998

I'm doing that play too :-D make sure you know the trial scene EXTREMELY well and have some good quotes from that scene. Make sure you know a relationship (such as Shylock and Antonio) really well and- again- have quotes to support your points about the relationship. I did paper two on Monday and- so long as you stick to the time limits for each question- you will be fine. Hope this helps :-)

I didn't do Merchant of Venice, but if you prepare an answer on a character you like, a character you dislike, theme, setting, pivotal scene and a relationship you should be pretty safe!!

Thank you very much!:D
    I'm doing that play too :-D make sure you know the trial scene EXTREMELY well and have some good quotes from that scene. Make sure you know a relationship (such as Shylock and Antonio) really well and- again- have quotes to support your points about the relationship. I did paper two on Monday and- so long as you stick to the time limits for each question- you will be fine. Hope this helps :-)

Yes thank you! I heard what the questions are but I'm dreadful at the play so I'm trying to find sample answers hahah! Thanks again! :D

• Advertisement

Asking this very last minute, but I was wondering does anyone have a sample answer for an Teilifis or another poem that uses Gra? Starting to panic hahah!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Irishgirl1998

Asking this very last minute, but I was wondering does anyone have a sample answer for an Teilifis or another poem that uses Gra? Starting to panic hahah!

Did you do stradavaireous?

Did you do stradavaireous?

No I didn't but if the theme is Gra I wouldnt mind learning an answer! It's just in case I need it if none of the themes I'm relying on comes up!:)

I have one on An Blaoscaod Mor Anois for Gra but I won't be able to put it up for another hour probably...would that be too late?? :)

I have one on An Blaoscaod Mor Anois for Gra but I won't be able to put it up for another hour probably...would that be too late?? :)

Ahh that'd be perfect! Ah my exam is on Friday so I have a day to learn it:) Only do it you don't mind obviously! :)

No I didn't but if the theme is Gra I wouldnt mind learning an answer! It's just in case I need it if none of the themes I'm relying on comes up!:)

Well it did come up on my paper last week so it might come up on yours. Don't remember the other mothuchain but ill look for my sample answer for you.

Ahh that'd be perfect! Ah my exam is on Friday so I have a day to learn it:) Only do it you don't mind obviously! :)

No problem :)

Here it is but your probably better off with the other poem

(i) Rinne me staidear ar "An Blaoscaod Mor Anois" le Maire Aine Nic Gearailt. Ta an teama gra i gceist sa dan seo.
    (ii) Sa chead vearsa cruthaionn an file pictiur bronach uaigneach den oileain ata treighe agus iargulta anois mar ta gach duine imithe go dti an mhintir. "Ta an Blaoscaod Mor ciuin anois/ Leis fein is cionn na taoide"
    Sa dara vearsa, deanann an file an Blaoscaod Mor a phearsantu. Feicimid an gra is laidre anseo. Is cuimhin leis an oileain na paisti oga ag pleidhciocht cois farraige agus na daoine fasta ag iascaireacht ar an mba. Ach ta bron ar an oileain anois toisc go bhfuil gach duine imithe anois "Is cuimhin leis na paisti beaga/ ag sugradh at an tra"
    Sa vearsa deireanach, cruthaionn an file iomha den bhas agus den am at a thart. Nil aon duine ina chonai at an mBlaoscaod anois ach amhain na taibhsi ag insint scealta faoin saol a bhi ar an oileain fado. Ta an toileain mar a bheadh duine uaigneach, aonarach mar nil son rud ann anois "Ach b'fheidir go bhfuil taibhsi/ Ag insint sceal no dho"
    Is leir mar sin go bhfuil gra mar theama sa dan seo.

Hope this is ok. It will get 15/15 if you write it in an exam :) good luck :D

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Xgracie

How are people getting on with the mocks? I think they're really handy so far! Business & English p1 tomorrow so that's grand, hope the actual thing is this nice! Only big problem has been maths so far

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭vcshqkf9rpzgoe

Anyone do business paper 1 yet?

Xgracie wrote: »
    How are people getting on with the mocks? I think they're really handy so far! Business & English p1 tomorrow so that's grand, hope the actual thing is this nice! Only big problem has been maths so far
    I thought mine were going grand...until I had the two maths papers today =-O and science tomorrow :'(. I hope nice questions on Irish history come up on the paper- I have that tomorrow as well!

Xgracie wrote: »

I have finished today . Irish paper 2 was hardest forget poetry quotes.

My school don't have mocks so while other schools have them we've been getting career guidance about whether or not to do TY or if not what subjects for leaving etc....so I was at career guidance today and I told her that my fave subject was science and she immediately told me to do medicine. I told her at least 20 times (no exaggeration!) that I DONT WANT TO BE A DOCTOR. So then she asked me what other jobs there are in science and I just kinda like looked at her. I told her I would love to go into cancer research and she just looked at me and said "well, you know.....its usually boys who go into research....but medicine is great, lots of girls doing it, great science element..." Needless to say, I was absolutely RAGING! But it's made me even more determined to become a researcher and prove that girls can do it too!
    Sorry, hadta get that off my chest :') Rant over.

My school don't have mocks so while other schools have them we've been getting career guidance about whether or not to do TY or if not what subjects for leaving etc....so I was at career guidance today and I told her that my fave subject was science and she immediately told me to do medicine. I told her at least 20 times (no exaggeration!) that I DONT WANT TO BE A DOCTOR. So then she asked me what other jobs there are in science and I just kinda like looked at her. I told her I would love to go into cancer research and she just looked at me and said "well, you know.....its usually boys who go into research....but medicine is great, lots of girls doing it, great science element..." Needless to say, I was absolutely RAGING! But it's made me even more determined to become a researcher and prove that girls can do it too!
    Sorry, hadta get that off my chest :') Rant over.
    =-O what kind of career guidance counsellor is she???!!! Cancer researcher sounds really interesting though :-)

=-O what kind of career guidance counsellor is she???!!! Cancer researcher sounds really interesting though :-)

Aha yeah thanks, I've wanted to do it for forever :D! But she's so like stereotypical, my friend said she wanted to do engineering, career guidance said "shure that's a boys job!" and recommended nursing! Do ye have career guidance?

Aha yeah thanks, I've wanted to do it for forever :D! But she's so like stereotypical, my friend said she wanted to do engineering, career guidance said "shure that's a boys job!" and recommended nursing! Do ye have career guidance?
    Oh my god...=-O We have a careers class in 4th, 5th and 6th year I think but I don't think the career guidance actually gets serious until sixth year (bit late by then but anyway...)

Oh my god...=-O We have a careers class in 4th, 5th and 6th year I think but I don't think the career guidance actually gets serious until sixth year (bit late by then but anyway...)

Oh jaysus :') imagine if they told you in 6th year that you should actually be a dentist and the subjects you picked in TY were geography, business and religion! :') do you have mocks ATM?

I have to wait to get my dats / aptitude test back. They bring us in and tell us what we should be . Haha . I want to be a Home Ec teacher .

• Advertisement

I have to wait to get my dats / aptitude test back. They bring us in and tell us what we should be . Haha . I want to be a Home Ec teacher .

Aww we got ours back today! And I'd say to not pay too much heed to what they say, if you're told to be a mathematician and you want to be a Home Ec teacher, be a Home Ec teacher! I dunno, maybe ye have a good one but from talking to my friends in loads of different schools none of them have good ones

Advertisement