Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*JC 2013/2014 Off-Topic Thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Irishgirl1998

Aww we got ours back today! And I'd say to not pay too much heed to what they say, if you're told to be a mathematician and you want to be a Home Ec teacher, be a Home Ec teacher! I dunno, maybe ye have a good one but from talking to my friends in loads of different schools none of them have good ones

Haha me a Maths teacher I told my teacher that I hate algebra and he knows I'm not good at it ... I'm in higher level as well . I think the guidance counsellors are good but I only ever talked to her in first year and she was suppose to be my teacher in a subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Xgracie

I thought mine were going grand...until I had the two maths papers today =-O and science tomorrow :'(. I hope nice questions on Irish history come up on the paper- I have that tomorrow as well!

Maths is always awful don't worry too much about it! Science is ok! But it's my weakest subject so I was bound to do bad and I found history lovely :)

I have finished today . Irish paper 2 was hardest forget poetry quotes.

I loved Irish p2! Mind you I had a poetry answer learned off so that helped

My school don't have mocks so while other schools have them we've been getting career guidance about whether or not to do TY or if not what subjects for leaving etc....so I was at career guidance today and I told her that my fave subject was science and she immediately told me to do medicine. I told her at least 20 times (no exaggeration!) that I DONT WANT TO BE A DOCTOR. So then she asked me what other jobs there are in science and I just kinda like looked at her. I told her I would love to go into cancer research and she just looked at me and said "well, you know.....its usually boys who go into research....but medicine is great, lots of girls doing it, great science element..." Needless to say, I was absolutely RAGING! But it's made me even more determined to become a researcher and prove that girls can do it too!
    Sorry, hadta get that off my chest :') Rant over.
    That's disgraceful omg some people are so backwards! I do pretty well in school and people always tell me I should be a doctor/dentist, don't seem to realise that is definitely not what I'm into

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭pianoperson

Xgracie wrote: »
    That's disgraceful omg some people are so backwards! I do pretty well in school and people always tell me I should be a doctor/dentist, don't seem to realise that is definitely not what I'm into

I know, I'm the exact same! I don't know how people expect us to move forward while they're sticking with these narrow-minded views!! Do I you have any idea what you do want to be? :)

• Advertisement

I know, I'm the exact same! I don't know how people expect us to move forward while they're sticking with these narrow-minded views!! Do I you have any idea what you do want to be? :)

Exactly! Not really! Pyschology maybe but idk

Exactly! Not really! Pyschology maybe but idk

Oh that's so cool! I wouldn't have the patience! It's so pressuring people asking you to pick what u wanna do for the rest of your life like I can't peel the back off a sticker coz leaving it in the same place forever is too big a commitment for me to handle!!! :')

Oh that's so cool! I wouldn't have the patience! It's so pressuring people asking you to pick what u wanna do for the rest of your life like I can't peel the back off a sticker coz leaving it in the same place forever is too big a commitment for me to handle!!! :')

It's scary the subjects we choose this year at the age of 14/15/16 are our future as an adult.

Hahahaha yeah it's mad!! Hopefully I'll have an idea by 6th year!

It's scary the subjects we choose this year at the age of 14/15/16 are our future as an adult.

Exactly the reason I'm doing TY, would have NO CLUE what to pick...

Probably won't have a clue next year either tbh :')

• Advertisement

I know what subjects I like & want to do (French home ec biology history) but have no idea how they'll effect college courses etc.

Exactly the reason I'm doing TY, would have NO CLUE what to pick...

Probably won't have a clue next year either tbh :')

Same I'm doing 4th year . Hopefully get in. Have to do an interview . Haha .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Not at all. There are a million ways to do any college course you want.

Don't let people tell you there are not.

spurious wrote: »
    Not at all. There are a million ways to do any college course you want.

Don't let people tell you there are not.

If I want to become a Home ec teacher there is only one college that I can go to and it's in Sligo .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 CiCi123

Finished the pres today!!! FRRREEEEDDDOOOMMM:) Hope everybody survived the storm! Spent last night in darkness, needless to say no revision was done for my last exam today!

CiCi123 wrote: »
    Finished the pres today!!! FRRREEEEDDDOOOMMM:) Hope everybody survived the storm! Spent last night in darkness, needless to say no revision was done for my last exam today!

I finished yesterday

I finished yesterday
    I thought I might get away without doing the last exam today because of the weather but that didnt happen! Oh well theyre all done now and we have a week off to actually relax:D

I thought I might get away without doing the last exam today because of the weather but that didnt happen! Oh well theyre all done now and we have a week off to actually relax:D

I have to study for Orals in Irish and French . But it's likely not going to happen. :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If I want to become a Home ec teacher there is only one college that I can go to and it's in Sligo .

In Ireland, yes, but many teachers train in the UK.
    Your subject choices after JC do not determine what, if any, college you go to. You can go to college without a Junior or a Leaving. They don't tell you that at school.

Please check out the job situation before committing to teaching.

I still have 2 tomorrow and 4 after mid term :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭smiles_1998

Oh jaysus :') imagine if they told you in 6th year that you should actually be a dentist and the subjects you picked in TY were geography, business and religion! :') do you have mocks ATM?
    Oh god if that happened I would just die...my last 2 mocks are tomorrow: French and CSPE. I had history and science today which both went okay :-) well I think they did...a lot of the time when I think a test went okay I end up doing amazingly bad in it :-/

Would it be too early to start looking at college websites and courses now or is it no harm to see what you'd be interested in?:)

Would it be too early to start looking at college websites and courses now or is it no harm to see what you'd be interested in?:)

I love looking at them out of curiosity! Don't get yourself worried about points or anything though!

I love looking at them out of curiosity! Don't get yourself worried about points or anything though!
    Thanks:) I havent a clue of what I want to do after school but in SPHE our teacher is telling us to be thinking about the FUTURE! So I might just have a look at a few college websites to see if anything catches my eye:P

I've started looking but it's more to give me a motivation to study as I like having a long term goal to work towards. It's helpful when applying for TY work experience also :)

Has anyone had religion yet? Will I get away with no studying?

I don't have mocks but in the essay section always do the 4th option as it's always about science and religion or atheism so you can pretty much bullsh1t your way through it :)

I don't have mocks but in the essay section always do the 4th option as it's always about science and religion or atheism so you can pretty much bullsh1t your way through it :)

Thank you! I'll have a flick through the exam papers tomorrow but I just really cba tonight lol

If I were you I would not try to get round the charter rules.<mod edit>

• Advertisement

If I were you I would not try to get round the charter rules.<mod edit>

I wanted to know if it was tough not what was on it, relax and she hardly gave anything away?

Advertisement