Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*JC 2013/2014 Off-Topic Thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Xgracie

nanook5 wrote: »
    Must of been sickening studying over mid term . I took the whole week off . I kind of felt I deserved it haha :) I'll be studying hard over the 2 weeks of the Easter "Holidays" :p

I took the week off too omg completely burned myself out the week before and I just wasn't bothered, I'm a pretty good crammer tho hahaha. Don't talk about Easter the serious study will be done then :(

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭S_Hick12

Maths paper 1 was hard enough. Had some stuff i've never even see before lol, I'll be happy with a C. Business paper 1 was fine, some kinda hard stuff but mostly grand. Happy with a B on that one. Just English paper 1 tomorow, happy days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 laurap123

Had german today pretty good did a decent written expression section, one reading comp I found tricky. Hoping for an A
    Science okay-ish considering teacher is rubbish and havent gotten homework in 3 years haha, hopefully a C

2 MORE TO GO! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭pizzamad

Mocks start officially tomorrow hahaha. :) Business P1 was okay, the short questions were tough and no people at work and all other questions were okay, club account balanced tho :) I usually get an A (got 99% consistantly since 2nd year Christmas test) sooo fingers crossed for P2!!
    Maths p1 and CSPE tomorrow :) We skipped the first and second year CSPE course so kinda scared lmao!!!!

IM FINISHED :D:D:D

Didn't even get to start the seen fiction in English p2! :( but business went better than expected and I got an A in geography!

• Advertisement

pizzamad wrote: »
    Mocks start officially tomorrow hahaha. :) Business P1 was okay, the short questions were tough and no people at work and all other questions were okay, club account balanced tho :) I usually get an A (got 99% consistantly since 2nd year Christmas test) sooo fingers crossed for P2!!
    Maths p1 and CSPE tomorrow :) We skipped the first and second year CSPE course so kinda scared lmao!!!!

You could do a CSPE exam without ever going to class IMO, just know some public figures (eg enda Kenny) and buildings but most of that part is common sense anyway!
    Do all of the questions in section 2 if you have time (you more than likely will)
    And I did the poster Q and got an A so maybe try that! Just go into as much detail about what you're talking about as possible, it's stuff you're making up tho like planning an event etc.
    You'll be fine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭nanook5

Got that A in technology that I wanted Woop :D

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Eims14

Ughhh.I didnt even finish business p1 because.ive a headcold.and my brain just gave up after like 2hours (it also means i was THAT person in the exam who never shuts up sniffling and coughing)and I have geography tomorrow even though all i want to do is eat and clear my head(literally i think im going deaf from this cold)

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭smiles_1998

Eims14 wrote: »
    Ughhh.I didnt even finish business p1 because.ive a headcold.and my brain just gave up after like 2hours (it also means i was THAT person in the exam who never shuts up sniffling and coughing)and I have geography tomorrow even though all i want to do is eat and clear my head(literally i think im going deaf from this cold)
    I had a cold doing both Maths papers...I'd like to say that that's the reason I did so badly but I was on track to do spectacularly bad anyway...:'(

Eims14 wrote: »

I feel for ya, I was that person during most of mine!

• Advertisement

Got my A in geography and RELIGION!!! I was so shocked oh my god
    Got Bs in Science and Irish (again delighted :D)
    And a B in history, only thing I'm really disappointed with :(

Xgracie wrote: »
    Got my A in geography and RELIGION!!! I was so shocked oh my god
    Got Bs in Science and Irish (again delighted :D)
    And a B in history, only thing I'm really disappointed with :(

Disappointed with a B in history!?!? No matter how hard i try, i can never manage anymore than a C lol. We'll see how i do tomorow.

S_Hick12 wrote: »
    Disappointed with a B in history!?!? No matter how hard i try, i can never manage anymore than a C lol. We'll see how i do tomorow.

I've never gotten less than an A in it before and i'd class it as one of my best (and favourite) subjects so I was annoyed :( Good luck :)

Got a C in Irish :rolleyes: I got a B in Paper 1 and the listening and then I failed Paper 2 :P

I guess I need to work on my prós and Filíocht to bring me up to a B for the real JC :D

I got a C in maths paper one omg!!!!! 66% so paper 2 might even bring me up to a B?! I'm delighted ahhh, loads of homework tonight tho :(

Learned about 5 person in history answers, not a single one came up. I think i managed to scrape 2 together lol

I thought I had a great people in history with what I thought was 10 SRS', only got 13/20 for it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭VG31

Learned about 5 person in history answers, not a single one came up. I think i managed to scrape 2 together lol

Some people in history questions don't come up much (e.g. serf on a medieval manor and someone living in Ireland during the Emergency).

I would advice mainly learning the 2nd year ones (Named leader on a voyage of exploration, religious reformer, settler on a plantation in ireland, revolutionary leader). These would usually cover you but to be on the safe side learn another 2-3 (some good ones would be; a renaissance artist from outside of Italy, monk in an early chirstian monastery in Ireland, lord or lady of a medieval castle). I wouldn't bother with any 3rd year ones, save them for Q6. Also, for example if you have learned a cold war crisis, if that came up as a people in history, all you would have to do is change one or two sentences at the start and it would be a people in history (though the cold war crisis came up for people in history in the 2013 JC, so it's more likely for Q6 this year). ;)

Hope this was some help. :)

I thought I had a great people in history with what I thought was 10 SRS', only got 13/20 for it :(

Some tips for people in history questions; write about 3/4 to 1 A4 page, only write a very small amount of background detail, use as many key word as possible, for example for Martin Luther; 'Justification by Faith Alone', '95 Theses', 'Papal Bull', 'Diet of Worms' etc.

VG31 wrote: »
    Some tips for people in history questions; write about 3/4 to 1 A4 page, only write a very small amount of background detail, use as many key word as possible, for example for Martin Luther; 'Justification by Faith Alone', '95 Theses', 'Papal Bull', 'Diet of Worms' etc.

Thank you :) by background detail do you mean like talking about say their parents job? Like that sort of thing?

• Advertisement

Thank you :) by background detail do you mean like talking about say their parents job? Like that sort of thing?

Yes things like that. Also things like their early life. As an example for my people in history answer for Robespierre, the only I started only with a small amount of background; 'Robespierre was a lawyer from Northern France who was influenced by the writings of Rosseau'. After that I went straight into the main information.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You have them done now for the summer though, which is more important.

VG31 wrote: »
    Yes things like that. Also things like their early life. As an example for my people in history answer for Robespierre, the only I started only with a small amount of background; 'Robespierre was a lawyer from Northern France who was influenced by the writings of Rosseau'. After that I went straight into the main information.

Ah I see, I think maybe I was a bit too vague! Probably did the most difficult there but I had learned it just before I went in so felt confident! Thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭pizzamad

I got 94% in business paper one.....YIPPEEEEEEEE :)

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

There has been absolutely no mention of the mocks since we came back. We won't be getting them back for at least two or three weeks.

The real focus is now on the decision of TY or 5th Year. I have done extensive research of its pros and cons and looked at nearly every forum relating to this matter on the TY Forum.

All the teachers in my school seem to be biased towards TY, with no other reason for being so other than "Students who do TY do better in the leaving. If you don't do it, you'll burn yourself out in 5th year" They deem anybody who doesn't do it to be unsound of mind.

I just can't get my head around that. How did people survive before TY was introduced? Where you had no choice but to go to 5th year. Not saying that it is false, but its coming across as an old wife's tale, there doesn't seem to be proof anywhere (although the 10 people in our school who got more than 500 points in the leaving cert last year all did TY:confused: coincidence? )

Failing at being modest, I'm fairly academic and hard-working, and I just don't think TY would suit me. So, I'm leaning towards skipping it. Boredom doesn't suit me well, even for an hour or two, and I see a lot of TY's wandering through the corridors in my school apparently doing nothing. They were going around making cups of tea for teachers at a recent 1st year parent-teacher meeting...

The lads and I have decided to keep our decision to ourselves, to avoid it influencing each other's decisions or views.

Has anybody else decided?

There has been absolutely no mention of the mocks since we came back. We won't be getting them back for at least two or three weeks.

The real focus is now on the decision of TY or 5th Year. I have done extensive research of its pros and cons and looked at nearly every forum relating to this matter on the TY Forum.

All the teachers in my school seem to be biased towards TY, with no other reason for being so other than "Students who do TY do better in the leaving. If you don't do it, you'll burn yourself out in 5th year" They deem anybody who doesn't do it to be unsound of mind.

I just can't get my head around that. How did people survive before TY was introduced? Where you had no choice but to go to 5th year. Not saying that it is false, but its coming across as an old wife's tale, there doesn't seem to be proof anywhere (although the 10 people in our school who got more than 500 points in the leaving cert last year all did TY:confused: coincidence? )

Failing at being modest, I'm fairly academic and hard-working, and I just don't think TY would suit me. So, I'm leaning towards skipping it. Boredom doesn't suit me well, even for an hour or two, and I see a lot of TY's wandering through the corridors in my school apparently doing nothing. They were going around making cups of tea for teachers at a recent 1st year parent-teacher meeting...

The lads and I have decided to keep our decision to ourselves, to avoid it influencing each other's decisions or views.

If you feel it won't benefit you, don't do it
    I think I will as I'd only be 17 leaving school if not, I want to put a lot of work into my LC so I will definitely need a break and most importantly my friend who's siblings have done TY have said it's a great way to become more confident in yourself and discover what you're really interested in :)

I'm a tiny bit anxious about people doing it tho like I know it's about you but obviously I want my friends to be in my year! So far I think most of them are planning on doing it so that's good :)

Btw not trying to make you feel like you should do it or anything, it's about your own personal circumstances really!

pizzamad wrote: »
    I got 94% in business paper one.....YIPPEEEEEEEE :)

Well done!!!

Personally I'm doing in because of the spare time that I'll have . At the moment I'm wrecked tired everyday of the week and I've many things to do other than schoolwork .

I don't think it will suit me either,I'm not sporty,I definitely don't want to go on any of the trips or take part in fashion shows/dramas .

The only things I'll like are the subjects offered,work experience,and Coming home playing Xbox for hours on end :p

The main thing stopping me skipping is the lads in the year ahead of me now . They are the biggest bunch of messers/idots in the whole school.The worst thing is that there is not 1 or 2 of them,there is about 20-25.They'd drag me down completely.

I also wouldn't like to leave my friends/class now,even though their the most odd people I've ever met :p

+1 on the spare time, sooo much I want to do next year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭pianoperson

I never thought I'd do TY, but now, halfway through 3rd year, I can't wait to do it! Although it's a cliché, everyone seems to say that if you try out everything, you get more out of the year than of your first 3 years of secondary schools combined! I would also be considered "academic", but I want to use TY to do my final exams in both piano and drama, read the Top 100 Teen Fiction books, do work experience in any career that remotely interests me and to take back up basketball. I also love languages, and I want to use the year to improve my oral Spanish, learn Italian and Japanese (which my school offers) and teach myself Latin and sign language! I'm really looking forward to having times to pursue all my interests and decide what I want to do in the future.

Advertisement