Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*JC 2013/2014 Off-Topic Thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Fifii

I never thought I'd do TY, but now, halfway through 3rd year, I can't wait to do it! Although it's a cliché, everyone seems to say that if you try out everything, you get more out of the year than of your first 3 years of secondary schools combined! I would also be considered "academic", but I want to use TY to do my final exams in both piano and drama, read the Top 100 Teen Fiction books, do work experience in any career that remotely interests me and to take back up basketball. I also love languages, and I want to use the year to improve my oral Spanish, learn Italian and Japanese (which my school offers) and teach myself Latin and sign language! I'm really looking forward to having times to pursue all my interests and decide what I want to do in the future.
    Wow! You are so ambitious! I have struggled with the decision for the three years basically and I just told myself in the end "Don't bother", simply because I was thinking about it night and day! I am desperate to take back up all the sports I dropped through out the three years but the main reason I would do it would be to rediscover my social life! I would also love to learn Latin and Japanese ( I have already made my way through most of Nihongo Kantan last year!)And the year ahead of me are bad...
    However, I cannot sing or act or dance and alot of things in TY are to do with that in my school. TY in my school is fantastic, probably one of the best. Ty people are always winning things like YSI and that. Its hard work though, my sister did it and by the of it she had like 3 REALLY thick folders full of project work. I don't think I need a break from studying as I have so little done and I just think I will be wasting my time, Im not young or anything. And the year below me isnt great....Some friends are doing it some arent, doesnt really matter to me as I want to make new ones, bestfriend isnt sure. I need help!!!!:(
    Your post has made me change my mind again;)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭pianoperson

Lads, who here has got their cookery tasks? Are ye happy with what ye got? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭MissCupcake

Making spagetti bologense and salad for the pre i heard the tasks are similar so i think ill be making it again

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Xgracie

Getting mine tomorrow or Tuesday and I can cook with my eyes closed (mam has had me doing it since I was little ;) ) so if I get scones or muffins I'll cry! I like a bit of a challenge and I hate scones

Xgracie wrote: »
    Getting mine tomorrow or Tuesday and I can cook with my eyes closed (mam has had me doing it since I was little ;) ) so if I get scones or muffins I'll cry! I like a bit of a challenge and I hate scones

Someone in my class got scones and muffins for the pres and had way too much time left. i was rushing had alot to do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭S_Hick12

Got 82% for Business p1 and was really happy. All my teacher could say was that I should have got an A lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Eims14

Making spaghetti bolognease and salad and ive to set the table.We picked ages ago because apparently the tasks don't change much?Did ye get to make yers up or did u pick from a preselected set?We picked from a set but the other class are allowed make theirs up.

Just got an email from my business teacher 79% yaaaay :D

Eims14 wrote: »
    Making spaghetti bolognease and salad and ive to set the table.We picked ages ago because apparently the tasks don't change much?Did ye get to make yers up or did u pick from a preselected set?We picked from a set but the other class are allowed make theirs up.
    making the exact same and my teacher said the tasks dont really change lol

Just got an email from my business teacher 79% yaaaay :D

Well done!

• Advertisement

Got some more results, B in maths, and As in home ec and English :D
    Going to The Merchant of Venice tomorrow so only 4 classes woo

Got some more results, B in maths, and As in home ec and English :D
    Going to The Merchant of Venice tomorrow so only 4 classes woo

Well done jesus how'd you manage an a in english? Im really bad at it! Im still doing my pres have home ec french anf irish paper2 left

Well done jesus how'd you manage an a in english? Im really bad at it! Im still doing my pres have home ec french anf irish paper2 left

Honestly have no idea, a few people failed so I don't think he marked them that easy but I didn't even start the unseen fiction so I think it must've been marked easier than most!
    Good luck :)

Honestly have no idea, a few people failed so I don't think he marked them that easy but I didn't even start the unseen fiction so I think it must've been marked easier than most!
    Good luck :)
    Maybe you were one of the first tp be marked so he was in a good mood. you must have been good though a's aren't given easily. had maths paper 2 today way easier than paper 1!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭VG31

Maybe you were one of the first tp be marked so he was in a good mood. you must have been good though a's aren't given easily. had maths paper 2 today way easier than paper 1!

Yes you're right. Paper 2 was a lot easier than paper 1. Still wasn't easy though!

Geography was really easy. It was even easier than I expected.

Maybe! Thank you :) yeah I thought that too!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭hf98kk

is much study required for an A in geography?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭VG31

hf98kk wrote: »

I didn't study much and I think I did really well. :) Know maps and aerial photographs in particular as they are easy marks if you know what you're doing. And try to know most things as well as you can. Make sure you know things like diagrams of features of erosion/depostition for rivers/seas/glaciers etc. A lot of things are general knowledge/self-explanatory. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭smiles_1998

Not as much as for other subjects like history or science etc (at least not in my opinion). Doing exam papers are a really good way of studying because short questions are quite random and you can make sure you know the general outline of the course and long questions make sure you know things like waterfalls, volcanoes etc inside out. Make sure that you are using the statement explanation (or development, whatever your teacher calls it) and example technique for the long questions though or you won't get the marks! :-)
    Hope this helps :-)

Maths teacher has told us to do our corrections for our paper on our own?! How am I supposed to know what to do?! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

If you're good at it nope! Go for the maps questions and if you've been listening in class you should have an idea of most topics which you can expand on in the exam! But if you find it a bit difficult you'll need to do exam papers and look over how to develop answers

Maybe! Thank you :) yeah I thought that too!

Have home ec tomorrow cant wait to be done and for the results :)

Maths teacher has told us to correct our paper on our own?! How am I supposed to know what to do?! :rolleyes:

Are you serious, marking schemes from previous years will help but that beond the joke really

Are you serious, marking schemes from previous years will help but that beond the joke really

Not actually correct it hahaha go through all the questions we got wrong and do them again but I still havnt a clue how to do them :(

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭hf98kk

I just looked through some geography papers and saw that you only have to answer 3 of 5 long questions. How did you find timing in the exam and should I try to answer 4 of the 5 long questions?

I just looked through some geography papers and saw that you only have to answer 3 of 5 long questions. How did you find timing in the exam and should I try to answer 4 of the 5 long questions?
    To be honest doing good quality answers you only get 3 done

Not actually correct it hahaha go through all the questions we got wrong and do them again but I still havnt a clue how to do them :(
    Oh still i hate that if you didnt know then how should you know now

You should only have enough time to write 3, I barely finished

Oh still i hate that if you didnt know then how should you know now

Exactly!

• Advertisement

Exactly!

Espically maths.. some teachers!

Advertisement