Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*JC 2013/2014 Off-Topic Thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

On the topic of music, got a call this morning from my piano tutor of 3 years to say she's moving to the East. What luck, how am I supposed to get a hold of a piano teacher coming up to September, when there is an influx of new starters?

Best start a search soon...

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭smiles_1998

On the topic of music, got a call this morning from my piano tutor of 3 years to say she's moving to the East. What luck, how am I supposed to get a hold of a piano teacher coming up to September, when there is an influx of new starters?

Best start a search soon...

You're joking...:eek: Were you supposed to be doing an exam this year?

You're joking...:eek: Were you supposed to be doing an exam this year?

You bet. Thought she would have mentioned it earlier

Anybody else doing music for JC? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 CiCi123

Anybody else doing music for JC? :)
    I am and I'm absolutley dreading it, especially the listening :(

• Advertisement

CiCi123 wrote: »
    I am and I'm absolutley dreading it, especially the listening :(

Same...we've done absolutely nothing for the last two years...:( I'm awful at dictation and Irish music...have you started your special topic yet? :)

Same...we've done absolutely nothing for the last two years...:( I'm awful at dictation and Irish music...have you started your special topic yet? :)
    What do mean by special topic?Is it the set songs and choice songs because thats what we have been doing most of 2nd year! The amount of learning in those songs is painful:( I keep mixing up time signatures and features between them all!!!:)

Preab San Ól...what a tune:rolleyes:

What do mean by special topic?Is it the set songs and choice songs because thats what we have been doing most of 2nd year! The amount of learning in those songs is painful:( I keep mixing up time signatures and features between them all!!!:)

O no it's where you write an essay-thingy on a band/type of music...we're doing the Beatles :L I am SO sick of Let It Be :L...I know I can never figure out if the song's 3/4 or 4/4- I mean who cares how many beats there are in the song!!! :mad:
    Preab San Ól...what a tune:rolleyes:

I'm more of an "I've Got Plenty of Nothin'" person myself :D :P :rolleyes:

O no it's where you write an essay-thingy on a band/type of music...we're doing the Beatles :L I am SO sick of Let It Be :L...I know I can never figure out if the song's 3/4 or 4/4- I mean who cares how many beats there are in the song!!! :mad:

I'm more of an "I've Got Plenty of Nothin'" person myself :D :P :rolleyes:
    Oh sorry I didn't even know we have to do essay things, music is the last subject that I thought we'd have to be writing long essays! I'm sorry now lads but nothing will ever beat the sweet sweet music of SALVE REGINA and MUSS I DENN!!!;) Has anyone started set works yet???:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭nanook5

Am I the only one whose not doing music for JC ?? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Eims14

nanook5 wrote: »
    Am I the only one whose not doing music for JC ?? :P

Me too I was going to do it outside school but then I decided I didn't want to do that many subjects...Shows how lazy I am..Oh well oh and that reminds me what subjects are ye all doing??

Eims14 wrote: »
    Me too I was going to do it outside school but then I decided I didn't want to do that many subjects...Shows how lazy I am..Oh well oh and that reminds me what subjects are ye all doing??

Well I'm doing Technology and Business as my choice subjects .

Business will be grand , but technology is a different story altogether :confused:

Then I'm doing the usual :

English
    Irish
    Maths
    History :mad:
    Geography
    French
    Science
    CSPE :D

All Higher Level except CSPE :)

Oh sorry I didn't even know we have to do essay things, music is the last subject that I thought we'd have to be writing long essays! I'm sorry now lads but nothing will ever beat the sweet sweet music of SALVE REGINA and MUSS I DENN!!!;) Has anyone started set works yet???:D

I'm having vague memories of Granuaile when I read "Set Works"- would that be one of them?

I'm doing:
    English HL
    Irish HL
    Maths HL
    French HL
    Business HL
    History HL
    Geography HL
    Science HL
    Music HL
    CSPE (can you even do a higher CSPE???!!! :P)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

CSPE (can you even do a higher CSPE???!!! :P)
    CSPE is only on "common" level meaning everybody does the same exam :pac:.

I'm having vague memories of Granuaile when I read "Set Works"- would that be one of them?
    I havent a clue because we didnt start set works yet! :D

I'm doing:
    Maths HL
    English HL
    Irish HL
    French HL
    Business HL
    Music HL
    Geography HL
    Science HL
    Religion HL
    CSPE :rolleyes:

I'm sorry now lads but nothing will ever beat the sweet sweet music of SALVE REGINA and MUSS I DENN!!!;) Has anyone started set works yet???:D

We did the first 5 (I think) set songs (everything up to and including THIS LITTLE LIGHT OF MIIINNE:P), and we did "Ripples in the rockpool" (I only need a few bars of it and I'm sickened to the bone, absolutely despise it:rolleyes:)

Maths H
    English H
    Irish H
    Business H
    History H
    Science H
    Music H
    French H
    T-Graph H
    CSPE

I'll be quite honest and say that I'm dreading CSPE. Our 1st Year teacher was for the birds, and we have spent the entirety of 2nd year doing that blasted action project (a booklet for incoming first years:rolleyes:).

Is it actually a case where there isn't much to learn for CSPE? Is it just really common sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Eims14

I realized I never answered my own question
    I do:

English-HL
    Irish-HL
    Maths-HL
    French-HL
    History-HL
    Geography-HL
    Home-Ec-HL
    Business-HL
    Science-HL
    CSPE
    All through Irish (except English which a lot of people asked me )

French is definitely my worst subject due to my crap teacher who taught us the alphabet for 2years.The only valuable piece of info we got off her was a photocopy of one of my friends letters that got 20/20 in the Christmas exams

All through Irish?! I think having to do Irish through Irish is a struggle.

Our business teacher retired over the summer, he was a good teacher but couldn't control a class at the best of times, but the class still came out of 2nd year ok, despite being 4 or 5 chapters behind the other classes in our year:rolleyes:

The only thing that concerns me is that we could either be landed with something worse, or something better. Preferably the latter.

My worst subject is probably T-graph, which is marked ridiculously hard.

Did anyone else do the Religion Project/Journal last year ?

• Advertisement

We started ours at the end of the year! I think we are doing surveys or something like that, we're all in groups!:)

We started ours at the end of the year! I think we are doing surveys or something like that, we're all in groups!:)

We're All finished ours , we just have to right them up in the official booklet :)

Did ye all have to do the same Topic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

For the religion projects it's best to do a seperate topic than everyone else. A group of two people working together on one project is fine, but with a good few working on one project may not work so well. The examiner will be LOOKING AT YOUR CONTRIBUTION, not how good the project is as a whole. It's hard to show your contribution to a project if there are many people doing it. If everyone is doing the same topic, then it's going to be hard to stand out. Remember, the examiner recieves the booklets as a whole, all from the same school. So he/she could easily tell if people copied the same information etc hence you'll lose marks. Just saying, my religion teacher has 20+ years in this field so I think she knows what she told us when we did it. :)

Did ye all have to do the same Topic
    Yeah we're all doing the same topic because the teacher thought it would be easier(on herself)! We're in groups of 3 or 4:) Did ye do it on your own or in groups???

Yeah we're all doing the same topic because the teacher thought it would be easier(on herself)! We're in groups of 3 or 4:) Did ye do it on your own or in groups???

We had a choice to do it on our own or in a group .

I did it on my own though because I thought it would be easier for myself (Which it was)

Our teacher recommended that we do C1 (Importance of regular religious practice in one of the following ......)

Most of my class did C1 because we had studied Islam in such depth .

The people who didn't.....Lets just say theirs were preeeetty bad :p

We then had to present our project to the class :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

They'll need you, Ms.All As! ;)

All As?? How'd ya get that into your head, it'd be more likely for angels to come flying out of me arse playing Walks Like Rihanna then me getting all As in the JC :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

When I did my Junior Cert. it was easy to see who would get all As. I was proven right as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭positivealf

We did the first 5 (I think) set songs (everything up to and including THIS LITTLE LIGHT OF MIIINNE:P), and we did "Ripples in the rockpool" (I only need a few bars of it and I'm sickened to the bone, absolutely despise it:rolleyes:)

Maths H
    English H
    Irish H
    Business H
    History H
    Science H
    Music H
    French H
    T-Graph H
    CSPE

I'll be quite honest and say that I'm dreading CSPE. Our 1st Year teacher was for the birds, and we have spent the entirety of 2nd year doing that blasted action project (a booklet for incoming first years:rolleyes:).

Is it actually a case where there isn't much to learn for CSPE? Is it just really common sense?

CSPE is common level, of course it's easy. Just do well in the action project and watch news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭if832uspx4eogt

CSPE is common level, of course it's easy. Just do well in the action project and watch news.

Especially keep an eye out during October/November/December. 90% of our CSPE homework during those months was writing reports on the weekly news events I think my teacher new something!

• Advertisement

Religion isn't even an exam subject in our school. We have to go to religion class twice a week but we never get homework, don't do any class test, and don't do end of year tests in it.

90% of the time in Religion is spent doing class debates on the most random topics:rolleyes:

Advertisement