Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*JC 2013/2014 Off-Topic Thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭hf98kk

I think I have decided to do the one where you write a speech for or against a motion. It seems to nearly always about young people or school and I think its easier than writing a story

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭smiles_1998

Idk why but was under pressure for time in paper 2
    Same- I only just had it finished in time.

hf98kk wrote: »
    I think I have decided to do the one where you write a speech for or against a motion. It seems to nearly always about young people or school and I think its easier than writing a story
    The topic for the speech on my mock paper was so broad- it was perfect! The only problem with the speech is not including enough points in it so it's a good idea to make a mind-map of what you are going to say in the speech before you start.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The topic for the speech on my mock paper was so broad- it was perfect! The only problem with the speech is not including enough points in it so it's a good idea to make a mind-map of what you are going to say in the speech before you start.

At JC, if things go pear-shaped, the examiner will look at your mind map and may scrape a couple of marks for you from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭pizzamad

Business paper two tomorrow then im finished :) I already have a C from paper one so I'm not that worried!! :)

• Advertisement

Yeah same for Irish paper two finished with about five minutes .... also science was okay, i didnt get time to study physics before I went in so that went horrible hahahahahahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 20 laurap123

Got Irish mock back this week, got 79% in Paper One which i was thrilled with then Paper Two came along.... oh dear haha! Got 53% in that to drop overall mark to 68% - C. Was expecting more but oh well! I find the unseen prose and unseen poetry so hard picked up little marks on it! Hoping the Irish Oral will bring my grade up to a B for the real thing which I'd be delighted with!

Geography & English mocks back tomorrow yay!

I have english P1 tomorrow and Im quite worried, the teacher hasnt prepared us very well. Any tips for functional writing/media studies?Also im planning on doing the speech option for the personal writing

I have english P1 tomorrow and Im quite worried, the teacher hasnt prepared us very well. Any tips for functional writing/media studies?Also im planning on doing the speech option for the personal writing
    For functional writing, know the layout of a formal letter, a report etc. The main way I study for functional writing is by practising past exam questions.
    For media studies, know all your advertising terminology (ie copy, image etc.) and be able to discuss the effectiveness of different advertisements. Again, I find the best way of studying for media studies is by practising past exam questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Xgracie

When do everyone's orals start? (Do ye all even have them?)
    I have Irish the week if paddys day and dunno about French yet! Slowly getting through the workload

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭S_Hick12

Xgracie wrote: »
    I have Irish the week if paddys day and dunno about French yet! Slowly getting through the workload

None for me! Mocks finished now woohoo!

IM FINISHED!!!! I got 140/160 in irish oral for the mocks so I was very happy :) ..Orals for the JC are the next two weeks... Irish on tuesday and french the following week!!

pizzamad wrote: »
    IM FINISHED!!!! I got 140/160 in irish oral for the mocks so I was very happy :) ..Orals for the JC are the next two weeks... Irish on tuesday and french the following week!!

I was not happy with my mock oral but I think I'm a lot more prepared for the real deal! Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Eims14

Ive had my irish already and french is the week of paddys day too.My mocks are finally finished!!Praise the lord :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭VG31

My mocks are finished too! :) I have the Irish oral soon. I don't have a French one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Louthlass23

Hi,
    Im new here and doing my Junior Cert in June. Have finished my mocks and awaiting the results.
    Does anyone have any tips to help me with the following subjects

History - People in History - Accounts - Social Change.
    Geography - Im going to do the maps/photo question.

Im sure I will have a lot more questions when I get the results of my mocks. At the minute I feel under a lot of pressure from the sheer volume of work I have to study.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Hi,
    Im new here and doing my Junior Cert in June. Have finished my mocks and awaiting the results.

Im sure I will have a lot more questions when I get the results of my mocks. At the minute I feel under a lot of pressure from the sheer volume of work I have to study.

The social change question is one of the worst answered questions on the exam. If you haven't actually done a project and studied it closely, I would choose something else.

Hi,

Write out key points for history and learn them! For geography exam papers are great do them and your teacher should correct them for you so you can see how you're getting on :) the map question is pretty easy just make sure to expand on your points!

There's loads of time till the actual exam and you probably did a lot better in your mocks than you think! Just do a little every night and you'll be sorted for June :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Louthlass23

Thanks spurious for the advise. We havent finished the course and I thought Id make a head start on Q6 and Social Change always comes up. I shall take your advice.
    Xgracie Congrats on your excellent results in the mocks. Thanks for the encouragement. Shall see how the mocks went. Hopefully we shall have the results in the next week or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭VG31

For History Q6, Irish History in the 20th Century and International Relations (i.e. WWII and the Cold War) always come up. I did them in the mocks and I will do them in the Junior Cert as well. I wouldn't dream of doing social change.

• Advertisement

Thank you I'm sure they went great!
    My teacher doesn't cover social change

Thank you I'm sure they went great!
    My teacher doesn't cover social change
    Neither does ours :-) she does for the girls doing pass though.

Im doing social change for the mocks

The social change, if you've covered it, is quite a good question to do if you know your dates and laws (regarding employment of women etc.). Unfortunately, every year you get people who chance their arm on social change and make a terrible bags of it.

I have seen answers about changes since 1950 that mentioned factories in the Industrial Revolution (and the Famine for good measure).

wow just finished english paper 2, its so long! you really have to be writing for the full 2.5 hours

wow just finished english paper 2, its so long! you really have to be writing for the full 2.5 hours
    Haha I know- there were girls in my year during the english paper 2 mock where the teacher was almost grabbing the papers out of their hands after time was up :-D

Haha I know- there were girls in my year during the english paper 2 mock where the teacher was almost grabbing the papers out of their hands after time was up :-D

I was one of those people during my mocks hahaha I need to work on my timing so much

I was one of those people during my mocks hahaha I need to work on my timing so much

If you have timing problems, try make sure it does not result in you leaving out parts of a question. Unfinished answers will still score marks, while unattempted questions can't.

is maths p2 a lot easier than p1? what are the main chapters to study for p2?

• Advertisement

is maths p2 a lot easier than p1? what are the main chapters to study for p2?
    It depends on what sections of Maths you are good at- P2 has lots of geometry and probability questions. In my year, there was a 50-50 split between the girls who preferred P2 and P1

Advertisement