Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*JC 2013/2014 Off-Topic Thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Xgracie

hf98kk wrote: »
    sorry to keep asking questions but... 1.is the word inti or intí? 2. Chun mo chuid Gaeilge a (a)fheabsú or (b)fheabhsú ? 3.Buachaill cara an (a) cailín (b) chailín sin a bhí ann. ?

Pretty sure it's intí and cailín but I'm sort of guessing there!

How's everyone getting on with study? I'm slowly chipping away at it but I did nothing this week :( between mock practicals, French oral and now I'm sick!

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭tedobrien98

Xgracie wrote: »
    between mock practicals, French oral and now I'm sick!
    Do people do orals for the JC as an optional extra for marks or are these just things run by the teachers? I never heard of doing an oral for the Junior Cert before but I've read it a few times here recently.

Do people do orals for the JC as an optional extra for marks or are these just things run by the teachers? I never heard of doing an oral for the Junior Cert before but I've read it a few times here recently.

It's optional for the school to do it ygm? But it's easy marks

It's optional for the school to do it ygm? But it's easy marks

And do ye do that now instead of the Aural or is the total divided out of the usual paper plus the oral?

And do ye do that now instead of the Aural or is the total divided out of the usual paper plus the oral?

The normal paper + the oral so it's out of 400 marks in total for my Irish paper but it's less than that for someone who doesn't do an oral

• Advertisement

The normal paper + the oral so it's out of 400 marks in total for my Irish paper but it's less than that for someone who doesn't do an oral

Ahh I see. I suppose it'd be good to have it spread a bit if someone wasn't as good at the written.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭VG31

In the Exam Material Archive at examninations.ie, when I try to select an exam paper an error comes up. Does anyone else have this problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭hf98kk

yes

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

VG31 wrote: »
    In the Exam Material Archive at examninations.ie, when I try to select an exam paper an error comes up. Does anyone else have this problem?

They know about it and are working to fix it.

**edit
    Looks like it's back working now.

Music practical tomorrow. Woop! :D
    Looking forward to getting out of class for a bit anyway. :P

• Advertisement

Good luck!
    I had home ec today, didn't get the wash up done but I'm happy with it!! Had no classes at all too

Good luck!
    I had home ec today, didn't get the wash up done but I'm happy with it!! Had no classes at all too
    Thanks! :)
    Jesus would ye be examined on the tidy up and all? We don't have home ec in our school so I wouldn't know what sort of carry on happens :P

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭smiles_1998

I had mine today too :-) how did you get on in yours? :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

Goin off-topic in the off-topic. Apologies.

There's 2 honours maths classes in our year. I have the useless teacher, my friend has the not-so-useless-but-crazy teacher. In our maths class we are behind and relatively clueless. I got a B in the mock but that had a lot to do with doing my own bit of maths on the side after homework.

My friend announced this morning that his maths teacher is holding a revision class of the entire HL course over the space of 2 or 3 hours in the morning during a day or two in the Easter Holidays.

Now, my friend had absolutely no intention of attending. But I thought that something like this could be my saving grace as far as maths is concerned.

I politely asked the teacher in question at lunch, even though I amn't in his maths class could I possibly attend these revision classes because I want to do well in maths.

I quote, "Absolutely no way" ,was the retort from him. He said that these revision classes were for his class ONLY and that he would not accommodate me.

I was a bit surprised (this guy is zany) but I can't understand why he won't allow me to attend. Is he afraid of my teacher getting the credit if I do OK in the Junior Cert?

Just thought it was a bit unfair. I'll just keep doing my own bit on the side.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

He's doing extra unpaid work. Surely he can choose who he wants or doesn't want in his class?

I supposed it's up to him in that respect

Goin off-topic in the off-topic. Apologies.

There's 2 honours maths classes in our year. I have the useless teacher, my friend has the not-so-useless-but-crazy teacher. In our maths class we are behind and relatively clueless. I got a B in the mock but that had a lot to do with doing my own bit of maths on the side after homework.

My friend announced this morning that his maths teacher is holding a revision class of the entire HL course over the space of 2 or 3 hours in the morning during a day or two in the Easter Holidays.

Now, my friend had absolutely no intention of attending. But I thought that something like this could be my saving grace as far as maths is concerned.

I politely asked the teacher in question at lunch, even though I amn't in his maths class could I possibly attend these revision classes because I want to do well in maths.

I quote, "Absolutely no way" ,was the retort from him. He said that these revision classes were for his class ONLY and that he would not accommodate me.

I was a bit surprised (this guy is zany) but I can't understand why he won't allow me to attend. Is he afraid of my teacher getting the credit if I do OK in the Junior Cert?

Just thought it was a bit unfair. I'll just keep doing my own bit on the side.

That's really unfair! You sound like you'd cause no bother, some people are just difficult

Had my TY interview today, this whole week has been so busy yet it's going so slow :( has everyone decided TY or 5th year?

Decided to do TY after much indecision. Our school is small enough so no interviews:cool:

Decided to do TY after much indecision. Our school is small enough so no interviews:cool:

There were about 120 of us interviewed!! They let almost everyone in it was really just an excuse to check your journal and make sure you're not a total waster imo, like they only asked 2 questions and how would they remember everyone anyway lol can't shake the little bit of anxiety about it all tho! What made you choose TY in the end? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭smiles_1998

We don't do interviews in our school either...I've decided to do TY but I have this awful feeling that I'm going to be regretting my decision by the middle of September...:'(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

How are people getting on with their Woodwork/Technology/Metalwork projects. The due date is nearly there. Just this week and the week we come back from easter for me, No one in our class is near done finishing. How are others doing??? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭VG31

In my school you have to do TY.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭nanook5

How are people getting on with their Woodwork/Technology/Metalwork projects. The due date is nearly there. Just this week and the week we come back from easter for me, No one in our class is near done finishing. How are others doing??? :pac:

Nearly done now . I have the same time limit as you,one week after Easter.

Have a few minor things to do but my teacher will probably come in during the Easter or stay back some day after school,so I think I will get it done within about 2-3 hours

There were about 120 of us interviewed!! They let almost everyone in it was really just an excuse to check your journal and make sure you're not a total waster imo, like they only asked 2 questions and how would they remember everyone anyway lol can't shake the little bit of anxiety about it all tho! What made you choose TY in the end? :)

I had intentions to do fifth year up until the last month until we had to decide.

But then I literally sat down one night and wrote out the pros and cons of TY and Fifth year and things became a bit clearer.

As third year is drawing to a close school has become a trudge. I hope a break from the normal humdrum of study and homework might make me a bit more eager for a bit of work come fifth year

I have only a vague idea of a career and subject choices.

The school musical and general TY stuff appeals to me.

The friends are all doing it.

So yup, I know I will be tearing my hair out while sitting in front of a computer in school wondering why I even bothered doing TY, but I hope the good times will greatly outnumber the boring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭yomtea98

Wood and Technology projects nearly done. Will work on the portfolios over the break. CSPE and Science sent away.

Don't do woodwork or metalwork. Only physics coursework B written up but we have the week we come back to do Chemistry. CSPE complete and Music Practicals done today

Pros and cons lists are the way to go :cool: I've everything done, don't metalwork or any of those tho! Got 20 hours of maths to do over the break :(

When we began to realise that we wouldn't get our woodwork projects done on time and our teacher said it'd be grand and we'll do them after Easter... I was horrified! :O I thought this was an awful cause of shame on ourselves, our school and our parish!! Seems now like it's quite common to go over the time and I was just being an eejit. :P
    I have a lot still to do though... All that brief stuff is to be done now over the break and I haven't a clue what to do. I did the analysis and investigation & research before the project and haven't thought about it since. We've also deviated so much from the original idea and plan that I'll probably need to do it all again. :L
    Also, I think we were meant to use Easter to varnish/paint whatever we had but I have nothing varnishable yet. :O

• Advertisement

I had mine today too :-) how did you get on in yours? :-)

I got on great thanks! :) The examiner said she enjoyed my choice of songs and variety, and that it seemed easy to me. I was surprised that she was so friendly and actually gave me comments and stuff; I assumed they weren't allowed pass any remarks.
    How was yours?

Advertisement