Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*JC 2013/2014 Off-Topic Thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭MissCupcake

Xgracie wrote: »
    Tbh if I can just memorise my Irish answers I'll be the same!

same I really hope my themes some up... fearg and gra for poetry and bron (kinda dioma,bas,tubaiste) and dioltas or fonn dioltas

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Eims14

Ye learn off your.answers?I just wing it on the day-obviously.i learn off nathanna cainte but i feel calmer going in knowing i have a choice.Although whenever i do an eacthra it turns into.a robbery and my.friend faints :rolleyes: .This week should be grand(touch wood) just hope we get nice papers.I live in fear our studied q's will be.really left-field like asking.us techniques.in our.play which contributed.to a comical.scene or.god.forbid.they hand out p2s instead of 1s to some school and we have to.take it the exam again at a different time..

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Xgracie

Eims14 wrote: »
    Ye learn off your.answers?I just wing it on the day-obviously.i learn off nathanna cainte but i feel calmer going in knowing i have a choice.Although whenever i do an eacthra it turns into.a robbery and my.friend faints :rolleyes: .This week should be grand(touch wood) just hope we get nice papers.I live in fear our studied q's will be.really left-field like asking.us techniques.in our.play which contributed.to a comical.scene or.god.forbid.they hand out p2s instead of 1s to some school and we have to.take it the exam again at a different time..

I probably wouldn't be all to formulate a D/C standard answer on the day let alone an A one! I have to learn it all off, you must have a great standard of Irish!

Do I actually need to study anything for media studies? I did a bit of analysing ads there but is there anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭yvngceebs

Do I actually need to study anything for media studies? I did a bit of analysing ads there but is there anything else?

Know all about product placement - advantages & disadvantages. I think it would be safe to know about the different forms of media (television, internet, radio, newspapers, magazines) and know how to write a tabloid/broadsheet article, maybe?

Nothing much to study. Really unpredictable section, too. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭S_Hick12

Not a lot really, maybe learn some of the definintions? (caption, slogan, copy, brand image)

Thanks guys! Also does it matter if a quote is a little wrong e.g. "For the sufferance is the badge of our tribe" instead of "for the sufferance is the badge of all our tribe"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

For media studies, they ask you to write about some current story in todays news. Havent really been following the news. can someone give me a few major stories at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭coolerboy

For media studies, they ask you to write about some current story in todays news. Havent really been following the news. can someone give me a few major stories at the moment

World cup controversy 2014 and 2022.Alan Shatter resigning. Ukraine and Russia nearly war moment crimea.

coolerboy wrote: »
    World cup controversy 2014 and 2022.Alan Shatter resigning. Ukraine and Russia nearly war moment crimea.

How could i forget that one. Will probs defo write on that if something like that comes up

• Advertisement

1) Qatar World Cup "bribe" allegations. 2) Nigerian school girls being kidnapped because of terrorists. 3) The pregnant Sudanese women who might be put to death because she married a Christian man. 4) Russia & Ukraine. 5) (Would this be recent?) Dani Alves the soccer player who got a banana thrown at him. 6) Brazil being a developing country and using billions to spend on the World Cup & Olympics rather than spend money on social housing for the homeless.

Would not be surprised if the theme of "racism in sport" or xenophobia came up. Really topical at the moment.

January
    January 1 – Latvia officially adopts the Euro as its currency and becomes the 18th member of the Eurozone.
    February
    February–ongoing – The 2014 West Africa Ebola outbreak kills at least 200 people.
    February 7–23 – The XXII Olympic Winter Games are held in Sochi, Russia.
    February 13 – Belgium becomes the first country in the world to legalise euthanasia for terminally ill patients of any age.
    February 22 – The Ukrainian parliament votes to remove President Viktor Yanukovych from office, replacing him with Oleksandr Turchynov, after days of civil unrest left around 100 people dead in Kiev.
    March
    March 5 – Nicolás Maduro, the President of Venezuela, severs diplomatic and political ties with Panama, accusing Panama of being involved in a conspiracy against the Venezuelan government.
    March 8 – Malaysia Airlines Flight 370, a Boeing 777 airliner en route to Beijing from Kuala Lumpur, disappears over the Gulf of Thailand with 239 people on board. The aircraft is presumed to have crashed into the Indian Ocean.
    March 16 – A referendum on the status of Crimea is held.
    March 21 – Russia formally annexes Crimea after President Vladimir Putin signed a bill finalizing the annexation process.
    March 24 – During an emergency meeting, the United Kingdom, the United States, Italy, Germany, France, Japan, and Canada temporarily suspend Russia from the G8.
    March 27 – The United Nations General Assembly passes Resolution 68/262, recognizing Crimea within Ukraine’s international borders and rejecting the validity of the 2014 Crimean referendum.
    March 31 – The United Nations International Court of Justice rules that Japan's Antarctic whaling program is not scientific but commercial and forbids grants of further permits.
    April
    April 10 – In response to the 2014 Crimean crisis,the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe (PACE) passes a resolution to temporarily strip Russia of its voting rights; its rights to be represented in the Bureau of the Assembly, the PACE Presidential Committee, and the PACE Standing Committee; and its right to participate in election-observation missions.
    April 14 – An estimated 276 girls and women are abducted and held hostage from a school in Nigeria.
    April 27 – The Catholic Church canonizes Popes John XXIII and John Paul II on Divine Mercy Sunday.
    April 28 – United States President Barack Obama's new economic sanctions against Russia go into effect, targeting companies and individuals close to Russian President Vladimir Putin.
    May
    May 5
    The World Health Organization identifies the spread of poliomyelitis in at least 10 countries as a major worldwide health emergency.
    Boko Haram militants kill approximately 300 people in a night attack on Gamboru Ngala.
    May 20 – Terrorists in Nigeria detonate bombs at Jos, killing 118 people.
    May 22 – The Royal Thai Army overthrows the caretaker government of Niwatthamrong Boonsongpaisan after a failure to resolve the political unrest in Thailand.

Also Nelson Mandela last year

Thanks for all the responses. Some great topics to write about. Rascism definetely seems like a big topic at the moments

The papers were set last summer and are we not reading a little too much into this? Don't have my papers handy but they'd hardly go "write about alan shatters resignation" most teenagers know nothing about that?! Racism in sport could be an essay tho

Really hope.its not racism in sport-what would ye write.for that?

The papers were set last summer and are we not reading a little too much into this? Don't have my papers handy but they'd hardly go "write about alan shatters resignation" most teenagers know nothing about that?! Racism in sport could be an essay tho

Oh they were set last summer??? :eek: Then I doubt anything topical would come up? Haven't a clue who Alan Shatter is hahahaha :D

I probably wouldn't be all to formulate a D/C standard answer on the day let alone an A one! I have to learn it all off, you must have a great standard of Irish!

Im in an all-irish school I never even.gotten essays handed out to us ,we're all supposed to be bilingual geniuses ..i wish... :rolleyes: I say you'd be well able.for it.Believe in yourself.and all that jazz :)

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

As of now (1PM) there's something like 87 users active on this forum, that has to be a record...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭VG31

The Junior Cert papers are finsihed before Christmas. They are not going to ask you to write an essay about Alan Shatter's resignation! For the personal writing section, an essay did come up a few years ago; "Write a speech agreeing or disagreeing with the motion, sport brings out the best in people" (may not be exact wording).

• Advertisement

Eims14 wrote: »
    Im in an all-irish school I never even.gotten essays handed out to us ,we're all supposed to be bilingual geniuses ..i wish... :rolleyes: I say you'd be well able.for it.Believe in yourself.and all that jazz :)

I just get the vocab from my Revisewise wrote out an essay, got it corrected and now know it off! I dunno I'm pretty good at Irish but a lot things I just wouldn't know how to say. Ah I wish I went to an all Irish school!

As of now (1PM) there's something like 87 users active on this forum, that has to be a record...

Everyone panicking!

I just get the vocab from my Revisewise wrote out an essay, got it corrected and now know it off! I dunno I'm pretty good at Irish but a lot things I just wouldn't know how to say. Ah I wish I went to an all Irish school!

Its grand now but in first yeat i was completely lost..Its worth it in the end.though(or at least it better be)

if for a debate speech, something came up about racism in sport or something to do with racism and young people what would you write

if for a debate speech, something came up about racism in sport or something to do with racism and young people what would you write

Clarke Carlise with the kick it out anti racism campaign in football.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭pianoperson

Lads, are number patterns Maths P1?? (Sorry to ruin the English vibe ;) )

No, P2 has probability and patterns.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Beca19

In Educate sample papers they come up in P1!

Beca19 wrote: »
    In Educate sample papers they come up in P1!

I don't think the educate sample papers are as accurate as the edco ones, but in project maths topics can appear on both papers. I am pretty sure that theorems is only paper 2 though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Beca19

VG31 wrote: »
    I don't think the educate sample papers are as accurate as the edco ones, but in project maths topics can appear on both papers. I am pretty sure that theorems is only paper 2 though.

Yeah theorems, but they asked about number patterns?:P they're in P1 of the SEC sample as well.

Advertisement