Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*JC 2013/2014 Off-Topic Thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭VG31

Beca19 wrote: »
    Yeah theorems, but they asked about number patterns?:P they're in P1 of the SEC sample as well.

Oh sorry, I don't know why I mentioned theorems, my brain is confused atm. :P Yeah you're right number patterns can come up I'm both papers but not theorems. Number patterns are easy enough unlike theorems so ther should be no need to worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭ElmW13

As of now (1PM) there's something like 87 users active on this forum, that has to be a record...

96 atm

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭pianoperson

Thanks guys ^-^

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭MissCupcake

can someone who is good at english answer quick
    In romeo and juliet how does shakespeare (or any writer in general) capture the attention of an audience?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Liordi

Try this for the opening scene. :)
    http://bit.ly/1jOMDsS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭MissCupcake

Liordi wrote: »
    Try this for the opening scene. :)
    http://bit.ly/1jOMDsS

your'e a life saver!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭S_Hick12

Should i leave my phone at home? Its just that i'd like to listen to some music on my way to the exam to distract myself and keep calm. Would it be ok for me to just turn it off and leave it in my bag or would i have to hand it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Eims14

S_Hick12 wrote: »
    Should i leave my phone at home? Its just that i'd like to listen to some music on my way to the exam to distract myself and keep calm. Would it be ok for me to just turn it off and leave it in my bag or would i have to hand it up?

I think you can leave it in your locker or your bag(or you could leave it in the car.if.your getting dropped in)I think theres also should be a place outside your exam hall to leave it.aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

There'll be a box with the attendant right outside the door where you can drop it in and take it whenever you're leaving the centre.

Does anyone know where you leave you bags during the exam? At the back of the classroom maybe? Thanks.

• Advertisement

VG31 wrote: »
    Does anyone know where you leave you bags during the exam? At the back of the classroom maybe? Thanks.

Could you leave it in your locker?or in like a storage room?

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭nanook5

The lockers in my school are all emptied out because of summer,so I'm bringing in my lock and locking my schoolbag and phone in an open locker until the exam is finished.

Eims14 wrote: »
    Could you leave it in your locker?or in like a storage room?

Maybe, but the lockers in my school are all emptied out. I'm sure they'll tell us where to put them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

(sorry I'm just a random 5th year but)

Depending on the school you can leave your bag outside the room. Honestly, they'll be safe. There'll be attendants out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

I knows its tomorrow but truth be told by the time Ill be up youll all be in your exam so here

a53caa4ce085f0194b53d68c9f486ba8b4745e5d8608fc1901bfdd5047426110.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

For english paper 2 should i spend longer on the studied or unseen section

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Liordi

For english paper 2 should i spend longer on the studied or unseen section

The same length of time.

I presume you can study in the time before the exams? Also are you able to study in the 2.5 hour breaks between the exams? Thanks. :)

I presume you can study in the time before the exams? Also are you able to study in the 2.5 hour breaks between the exams? Thanks. :)

Yup but dont forget to take a.break :)

Is chewing gum discouraged during the exams? Also, can you study in the exam hall before it starts considering you have to be there at least half an hour before hand.

• Advertisement

I get the feeling i'll be sleeping on and off tonight. However, i'm calmer than i'd expected. I haven't vomitted yet so thats nice lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭TheEdgeofGlory

I get the feeling i'll be sleeping on and off tonight. However, i'm calmer than i'd expected. I haven't vomitted yet so thats nice lol.

Recited a ton of "exam prayers" earlier and feel strangely calmer!. I know I won't be able to eat anything in the morning though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

All the best tomorrow and over the next few weeks lads :)

While the exams are probably the most significant thing in your lives so far, keep in mind that they really aren't the be all and end all. Far greater things will happen in the future without a doubt so if something goes badly or wrong, let it go and move on without analysing every little detail. It's remarkable the difference it'll make.

Get a good night's sleep before every exam. Any cramming you do the night before the exam wil hardly make a huge difference in terms of grades but will drastically chamge exam performamce if you're struggling to concentrate. Same goes for food. Make sure to have a proper breakfast and eat fairly well and healy during the day even if we all know how much easier it is to head straight for the junk food when studying.

Make sure you're all set for tomorrow morning before you go to bed tonight. If you're wearing your uniform make sure it's all ready to go, check you've got working pens and the like, double-check the timetable, your exam number, all that kind of stuff. The basics really that you don't want to have to worry about in the morning when you're already stressed and nervous. Arrive in good time at the school too to find your exam centre and get settled in.

Staying calm is pretty important too, obviously. Don't get worked ip begore the exam itself, it really won't help. Remember that you've been preparing for the past three years, all the hard work is done. Don't panic or over analyse either. Before you head in or on the way in, do something that keeps you calm, anything at all realy to keep your mind off the exam. I know some people who head out to bang a sliotar off a wall to release a bit of the anxiety, there's one album that I listened to before every exam of the JC and four years later I still use the same album before every single exam: summer, christmas, LC, orals, college exams, everything.

Make sure you know your timings and stick to them. Even if you're not finished a question, move on if you've gone over time. It's generally easier to pick up the bulj of marks at the start of a question than squeezing out the ladt few at the end. Read all the questions carefully, this is probably the most important thing. Read, highlight, underline whatever. Make sure you focus on what is being asked and answer the question at all costs. Answer the right number of questions and the correct combination of questions. Read over your answers at the end before leaving if you have time, it's amazing the things you can catch in those last few minutes.

Don't stress, try to enjoy it, it'll all be over soon, any major questions we'll try to point you in the right direction and good luck :)

Going through a cycle of denial,acceptance,panic at this stage i dont know.which is the worst :(

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Xgracie

Eims14 wrote: »
    Going through a cycle of denial,acceptance,panic at this stage i dont know.which is the worst :(

Denial is definitely the best :)

My sister who's in 6th year told me if you fail maths you have to repeat the JC. Is this true?

nanook5 wrote: »
    My sister who's in 6th year told me if you fail maths you have to repeat the JC. Is this true?

You can't repeat the JC.

Thanks for the clarification

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

nanook5 wrote: »

No it's not true.
    It is possible to sit the JC for a second time. Not many do it, but it's possible.

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    No it's not true.
    It is possible to sit the JC for a second time. Not many do it, but it's possible.

Advertisement