Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*JC 2013/2014 Off-Topic Thread*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

pizzamad wrote: »
    Ahhhh no, i was watching the VMA's ;)
    Same here! *highfive*

• Registered Users Posts: 20 laurap123

Hey guys do any of ye know if Religion is compulsary for the JC?

I've been an atheist for almost a year now and I think it doesn't seem fair to sit an exam for something you've zero beliefs in. Also some of the stuff our teacher says regarding 'god' and the likes is just brainrot and ridiculous!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

laurap123 wrote: »

I've been an atheist for almost a year now and I think it doesn't seem fair to sit an exam for something you've zero beliefs in. Also some of the stuff our teacher says regarding 'god' and the likes is just brainrot and ridiculous!

Are you in a religious run/owned school? Their house, their rules.

The examination subject is not compulsory.

I'm atheist and I still did the exam.

You have to do it if it's an exam subject in your school. It's a lot like history and most of it is common sense (well, for me it is) so you have nothing to worry about if you put the effort in.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

Not back till wednesday. I say wednesday because it has a nicer ring to it than "tomorrow"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭smiles_1998

Not back till wednesday. I say wednesday because it has a nicer ring to it than "tomorrow"

It really does doesn't it? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 CiCi123

I'm back Wednesday too!:) When I got up this morning my mom said "oh its your last day of freedom, you'll be back in ..." and I just said do Not mention the "S" word :eek: How could she be so cruel??!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Eims14

I'm back today but only for a 2hours and then I'm not back till Friday.I was fine with going back until this morning I know what I'll be like next monday

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭nanook5

I won't be able to sleep tonight :eek:

I only just got up :D

nanook5 wrote: »
    I won't be able to sleep tonight :eek:

I only just got up :D
    I hope you have fun tomorrow ... :D

• Advertisement

I hope you have fun tomorrow ... :D

My brain won't......or my body :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭OiOshawott

I would say do homework everyday and study as often as you can, but I done neither.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭positivealf

Well what's ridiculous is not even trying to understand how the world religions work considering they have a big impact on our lives, nobody's forcing you to believe God. I'm sure many other atheists like Arnie have done religion for JC, a majority of it is common sense.

Well what's ridiculous is not even trying to understand how the world religions work considering they have a big impact on our lives, nobody's forcing you to believe God. I'm sure many other atheists like Arnie have done religion for JC, a majority of it is common sense.

I'm atheist and I really enjoy religion :)

I'm atheist and I really enjoy religion :)
    I like religion because our religion teacher is sound. She makes the class enjoyable and we still get the work done. We spend most of the class talking about various of non-related topics, she loves talking about her two lovely small kids :pac: teachers like this make school fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭OiOshawott

Is everybody here an atheist or is that just me.

OiOshawott wrote: »
    Is everybody here an atheist or is that just me.
    I'm a humanist.

Humanist - Atheist who searches for meaning of life without religion.

;)

spurious wrote: »
    Are you in a religious run/owned school? Their house, their rules.

The examination subject is not compulsory.

It's a community school so not really religious I guess it caters for all?

I'm atheist and I still did the exam.

You have to do it if it's an exam subject in your school. It's a lot like history and most of it is common sense (well, for me it is) so you have nothing to worry about if you put the effort in.

Was just wondering anyways, I would like to drop it so I'd have extra classes to focus on maths which I'm struggling with. I'll probably end up doing it as I've been getting As in class tests.

I know nobody's forcing me but I'd rather spend three classes focusing on subjects I'm struggling with than learning about something I've no interest in/ won't be doing after JC. I have a ridiculous quote from my teacher "God knows everything you think about" thats what made me wanna drop tbh because that's brainwashing students haha.

• Advertisement

I know nobody's forcing me but I'd rather spend three classes focusing on subjects I'm struggling with than learning about something I've no interest in/ won't be doing after JC. I have a ridiculous quote from my teacher "God knows everything you think about" thats what kmade me wanna drop tbh because that's brainwashing students haha.

That's hilarious haha :p

That's hilarious haha :p

Talk about LOL, our teacher is chaplain so she's a real god lover. Absolutely deluded she is!

Talk about LOL, our teacher is chaplain so she's a real god lover. Absolutely deluded she is!

I got really frustrated with my religion teacher once. He was talking about the universe and he said something along the lines of "Looking up at the other planets in OUR atmosphere" :mad:

I just thought , he doesn't have one clue what he's talking about !!! :rolleyes:

But he's a sound man haha , he doesn't say God is real or God isn't , he lets us choose :D

I got really frustrated with my religion teacher once. He was talking about the universe and he said something along the lines of "Looking up at the other planets in OUR atmosphere" :mad:

I just thought , he doesn't have one clue what he's talking about !!! :rolleyes:

But he's a sound man haha , he doesn't say God is real or God isn't , he lets us choose :D

At least he sounds reasonable, guess I'll have to grin and bear my teacher! Now 7 o'clock start tomorrow woop woop! :D

At least he sounds reasonable, guess I'll have to grin and bear my teacher! Now 7 o'clock start tomorrow woop woop! :D

6 o clock for me :-) A nice refreshing shower :p

Well today was fun...........

5 New teachers :eek:

Now my new religion teacher is the chaplain yay! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

Well, had my first day of 3rd year today. School was so disorganised so we had 6 free classes (out of 9).

What a bombardment of clichés from the teachers:
    JC- You get out what you put in
    JC- Do your best, after that you can't do anymore
    JC- Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.

I must have heard stuff along those lines at least 10 times today.

To end on a positive note, well for me anyway...DIDN'T GET A BOTTOM LOCKER! WOOP!:D

Well, had my first day of 3rd year today. School was so disorganised so we had 6 free classes (out of 9).

What a bombardment of clichés from the teachers:
    JC- You get out what you put in
    JC- Do your best, after that you can't do anymore
    JC- Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.

I must have heard stuff along those lines at least 10 times today.

To end on a positive note, well for me anyway...DIDN'T GET A BOTTOM LOCKER! WOOP!:D

Top locker FTW *Highfive*

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Eims14

1st day back yesterday.Omigod they were so serious they were telling us to hit the ground running and that we have to create good habits to succed succesfully everyones was so serious.And then we went off to classes and they wanted to start work again!!It wasn't even a proper day we aren't back properly til Friday I didn't even bring a bag with me .In other news TOP LOCKER!! :D

• Advertisement

Eims14 wrote: »
    1st day back yesterday.Omigod they were so serious they were telling us to hit the ground running and that we have to create good habits to succed succesfully everyones was so serious.And then we went off to classes and they wanted to start work again!!It wasn't even a proper day we aren't back properly til Friday I didn't even bring a bag with me .In other news TOP LOCKER!! :D

First irish class of the year the first words that came out of the teachers mouth was "We're going to start with a sceal...."
    :(

Best thing today was pe :)

Advertisement