Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*JC 2013/2014 Off-Topic Thread*

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 770 ✭✭✭ComputerKing

Xgracie wrote: »
    Sounds like you're having a philosophical crisis
    Good is doing the best you can do, for some people that's an A others it's a C
    Just try your best :)

Ya I know but good has to be better than my sisters, good has to be better than my friends, good has to be better than the people the slow classes, good has to be what the teachers who have told me what they are expecting of me in their subject and better than the ones who think I'm slow cause I'm only getting Bs in their class.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

OK ComputerKing you're getting close to trolling here.
    'Slow classes' indeed.
    Please do not make remarks in this forum regarding people and the levels they are doing in exams. This is the second thread you have done it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Xgracie

Ya I know but good has to be better than my sisters, good has to be better than my friends, good has to be better than the people the slow classes, good has to be what the teachers who have told me what they are expecting of me in their subject and better than the ones who think I'm slow cause I'm only getting Bs in their class.

You won't get far in life with that attitude, everything isn't a competition

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭ECM1234

Can someone please give me some form of reassurance, I know most of you say P1 in Maths was a "piece of cake", but I honestly think I didn't do too well in it?

spurious wrote: »
    OK ComputerKing you're getting close to trolling here.
    'Slow classes' indeed.
    Please do not make remarks in this forum regarding people and the levels they are doing in exams. This is the second thread you have done it in.

I'm not remarking on levels most of the slow classes are doing honours with a small few doing maybe at most 1/2 ordinary.

Secondly yes they are slow classes I go to a school where classes are streamed in order of ability. You have one top top class you have second top class and you have 3 bottom or slow classes. Don't complain for calling them slow classes they are openly called this by students and staff and the students in them accept this.

Also its PC gone made where you can't make a comment on someone's intelligence some people are smart some people are not its time people finally accepted this and finally we can then stop the dumbing down of our education system so that everybody thinks there little Johnny is smart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Xgracie

ECM1234 wrote: »
    Can someone please give me some form of reassurance, I know most of you say P1 in Maths was a "piece of cake", but I honestly think I didn't do too well in it?

You did better than you think! Some people in my year didn't like it all, put it behind you now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭VG31

In the mocks, I though I got a low C in Maths P1 but I actually got 73% even though there was loads of questions I didn't get at all.
    I wouldn't worry about it too much. :)

I'm not remarking on levels most of the slow classes are doing honours with a small few doing maybe at most 1/2 ordinary.

There's no need to call them slow classes, that's offensive. Call them ordinary of just simply lower classes instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭ECM1234

Maths is the only subject I'm dreading :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

ComputerKing, I'll let your remarks stand by themselves, I think.

Just remember, even if you think you are intelligent, maybe even more intelligent than the people in the 'slow' classes, there are always plenty more people more intelligent than you out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Eims14

Maths is the only subject I'm dreading :(

Me too-Yesterday kinda threw me cos.usually i like p1 but now idk :( -Sure.its.done.now anyway but if it helps I havent even looked in the maths.thread cos i know its gonna make me feel even stupider than i do already

spurious wrote: »
    ComputerKing, I'll let your remarks stand by themselves, I think.

Just remember, even if you think you are intelligent, maybe even more intelligent than the people in the 'slow' classes, there are always plenty more people more intelligent than you out there.

OK so I can tell that I'm obviously not welcome here so I'll leave but let me just clear up a few things first.

Firstly yes I do think I'm intelligent I have always thought this and yes I have proven this intelligence many times since primary school. However, I don't think that I'm the most intelligent person ever and I understand they are people out there who are smarter than me hell my best friend is probably going to do better in the JC than me.

Secondly competition is good. The competition I was talking about between my friends was all light hearted and in good humor. Its just really who gets the best average in the house exams, who got the top of the class in the class test, who got the best pre results and then obviously the big one who will get the best JC results.

Lastly I'm not the one scaring people who are doing ordinary and foundation level away yer doing a pretty good job at that yerselfs already and think it's time ye got down off yer high horse and took a long hard look at yerselfs realised that. Its not just people doing ordinary and foundation yer scaring away as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭yomtea98

OK so I can tell that I'm obviously not welcome here so I'll leave but let me just clear up a few things first.

Firstly yes I do think I'm intelligent I have always thought this and yes I have proven this intelligence many times since primary school. However, I don't think that I'm the most intelligent person ever and I understand they are people out there who are smarter than me hell my best friend is probably going to do better in the JC than me.

Secondly competition is good. The competition I was talking about between my friends was all light hearted and in good humor. Its just really who gets the best average in the house exams, who got the top of the class in the class test, who got the best pre results and then obviously the big one who will get the best JC results.

Lastly I'm not the one scaring people who are doing ordinary and foundation level away yer doing a pretty good job at that yerselfs already and think it's time ye got down off yer high horse and took a long hard look at yerselfs realised that. Its not just people doing ordinary and foundation yer scaring away as well.
    Can I ask what the * are talking about? The only person on a high horse is yourself and your superiority complex. Talk about an ego. If they are doing pass maths that doesn't make them slow as you call them. Maths is something you are good at or not but it's not always a representation of intelligence levels

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Beca19

Does anyone know if there's an SEC 2014 Maths P2? There's P1 in my paper but I can't see a P2?
    (A sample paper)

Beca19 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there's an SEC 2014 Maths P2? There's P1 in my paper but I can't see a P2?
    (A sample paper)

In my exam papers p1 is the first half and p2 is the second half maybe check there?or the contents page if.there.is one :)

Eims14 wrote: »
    In my exam papers p1 is the first half and p2 is the second half maybe check there?or the contents page if.there.is one :)

Aw yeah thanks I found it hahah, silly me

(A sample paper)

There is in the Edco exam papers. You can also find the 2014 samples here: http://www.examinations.ie/index.php?l=en&mc=sc&sc=ma

VG31 wrote: »
    There is in the Edco exam papers. You can also find the 2014 samples here: http://www.examinations.ie/index.php?l=en&mc=sc&sc=ma

Thankyou!:)

Aw yeah thanks I found it hahah, silly me

No bother id say everyones a bit off today(or maybe its just me :P)

Eims14 wrote: »
    No bother id say everyones a bit off today(or maybe its just me :P)

Yeah I'm so tired after this week :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭nanook5

Yeah I'm so tired after this week :/

I got up at 1PM :P

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭S_Hick12

There's quite a big difference between intelligence and being capable of getting A's in exams...

S_Hick12 wrote: »
    There's quite a big difference between intelligence and being capable of getting A's in exams...

Ya because getting a reading age of 16 in 2nd class and then getting in the top 1% of the 6th class sigma and Micra ts in second class doesn't either. I also got in the top 1% in the Drumcondras as well.

Ya because getting a reading age of 16 in 2nd class and then getting in the top 1% of the 6th class sigma and Micra ts in second class doesn't either.

What are you trying to prove? If you know you're intelligent then you don't need to show it off

Ya because getting a reading age of 16 in 2nd class and then getting in the top 1% of the 6th class sigma and Micra ts in second class doesn't either. I also got in the top 1% in the Drumcondras as well.

Why did they give.you 6th class sigmas in 2nds.class? :confused:
    Edit:How do.you even remember that?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭S_Hick12

I wouldn't say trying to show off your intellectual abilities to us makes you intelligent, neither does a maths test you did in 6th class.

Stop boasting. If you're so intelligent good for you but there's no need to show off. I find from my class, the most intelligent people never boast about what grade they got or mention it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Seriously what are you trying to prove. That your more intelligent than everyone else. Fair play to you for those achievements and success but theres seriously no need to show off. My english teacher told me this quote that has just come to mind and it definitely suits your situation

''The biggest challenge after success is shutting up about it''

S_Hick12 wrote: »
    I wouldn't say trying to show off your intellectual abilities to us makes you intelligent, neither does a maths test you did in 6th class.

I actually took the 6th class test in 2nd.

• Advertisement

I didn't come on here to boast I came on here to discuss the JC this is the JC forum like. But then it turns out when I contributed to the discissions on what how much study I do and asking about what exactly is good in the JC I get told I'm trolling and that I'm the reason as to why people doing ordinary and foundation don't post in the forum. I was then told I'm not intelligent and I wouldn't pass a test on emotions.

Advertisement