Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*JC 2013/2014 Off-Topic Thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭nanook5

CiCi123 wrote: »
    We got so much homework its scary:( We started The Merchant of Venice today! Has anyone else started and if you have can you even understand Shakespeare???:)

I did it last year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Eims14

We got so much homework its scary:( We started The Merchant of Venice today! Has anyone else started and if you have can you even understand Shakespeare???:)

Yeah I thought it was grand English is my favorite subject though so i found it fairly easygoing.And I even did a little study-first act of Merchant Of Venice but that's all cos I'm going to the hospital tomorrow to get a mole removed so I'm using that as an excuse to do no study ..I've such an exciting life :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 CiCi123

Eims14 wrote: »
    Yeah I thought it was grand English is my favorite subject though so i found it fairly easygoing.And I even did a little study-first act of Merchant Of Venice but that's all cos I'm going to the hospital tomorrow to get a mole removed so I'm using that as an excuse to do no study ..I've such an exciting life :P
    I can't figure out some of the phrases that are in the Merchant of Venice but I'll get used to it......eventually! :P I hope you get on well in hospital:)

I can't figure out some of the phrases that are in the Merchant of Venice but I'll get used to it......eventually! :P I hope you get on well in hospital:)

Yea at the beginning I was like :0 but by the end I was like I could write this..kinda..sorta..not really :P and thanks :')

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

I was talking to a friend of mine who goes to the other local secondary school in my area. We were talking about JC music and how far we are along the course.

He said that he had all the Set songs done, all the set works done, all the "choice songs and works" (never even new they existed):eek:

When I told him we only have 5 set songs and a set work done he started to doubt I was even in third year.

Either he's lying or my music teacher is for the birds and I haven't realised it just yet:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

Wait 'til 5th year little one, then you'll know what a lot of homework is...

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Bluestrike

Oh the Merchant of Venice, how it brings back memories, for any of you who cant really understand whats going on in the play, you could watch the movie of it with Al Pacino, our teacher showed us it before we started the actual text and i felt it helped a lot.
    Mr Rhode Island, I'm sure you will be grand, there are other parts of the course that your teacher might have done last year while your friends teacher did the set songs + works and choice songs + works eg:dictation, irish music, backing chords, etc. In second year, we had done all our set songs and works, and did the choice songs and works last year and then revised over the set stuff last year again. You dont have to learn much about them anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭CathalRyano

I'm not sure if any of yous are thinking of studying this early on, but just to say my own experiences, studying this early isn't necessary for good results in the Junior Cert. Last year when I did it, I was on the 12/13 Off topic thread and everyone was talking about their study plans and one person was building a desk or something for studying :P. A few of my friends were starting early as well so that all really made me think I should've been too. In general, now is just the time to work hard in class, listen and do homework to the best of your abilities. I never bothered to study that earlier and only really studied 3-4 weeks before the JC began and I did absolutely fine (or maybe not, results next week :O). The examiners aren't there to try and catch you out and as spurious on here often says, the exam is designed to maximise success. Honestly, I'm not even sure if studying this early is in any way effective, I'd forget most of anything I've learned now if I had to have it memorised for June.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

I'm not sure if any of yous are thinking of studying this early on, but just to say my own experiences, studying this early isn't necessary for good results in the Junior Cert. Last year when I did it, I was on the 12/13 Off topic thread and everyone was talking about their study plans and one person was building a desk or something for studying :P. A few of my friends were starting early as well so that all really made me think I should've been too. In general, now is just the time to work hard in class, listen and do homework to the best of your abilities. I never bothered to study that earlier and only really studied 3-4 weeks before the JC began and I did absolutely fine (or maybe not, results next week :O). The examiners aren't there to try and catch you out and as spurious on here often says, the exam is designed to maximise success. Honestly, I'm not even sure if studying this early is in any way effective, I'd forget most of anything I've learned now if I had to have it memorised for June.
    Words of wisdom.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭MmmPancakes

Words of wisdom.

From a preset 5th year I agree

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Bluestrike

Guys, we really gotta stop invading their off-topic thred. Its theirs after all and half the posts are us

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Oh my god that was me building the desk for studying :O And I was only in second year at the time xD I'm mortified xD

Seriously guys he speaks words of wisdoms though :D

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    Oh my god that was me building the desk for studying :O And I was only in second year at the time xD I'm mortified xD

Seriously guys he speaks words of wisdoms though :D

Nathan the LC forum is empty without you :'(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Nathan the LC forum is empty without you :'(
    Awh :') You flatter me xD <3

• Registered Users Posts: 20 laurap123

I was talking about the religion thing a while back on here and I went to my principal to see could I drop it. He said he has to provide 2 hours religion every week and blah blah and I was like thats so unfair but he didnt back down on his argument but I just left it becuase he said it's your choice to go in for the exam or not. I came to an agreement with my teacher that I'd participate in class but wouldn't do the project for 20% as there'd be no point. She was actuallly so sound about it and my mam wrote a note for that. So I can't argue with that!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭orlaxxx

guys i am just after getting 7As n 4bs in junior cert from getting no As or Bs in the mocks.. Dont stress too much just work and try to cover everything in April and May, i honestly did all my homework on the bus all year and was absolutely shocked when i opened my results wednesday btw i did all higher level!!! just take the exams in your stride and dont study too much!! its only the Junior Cert!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Too nice

Wow Orla that's amazing. Just thought I'd join here as I have just moved school and am dyslexic. I did we'll in my summer exams mainly high b's and c's but would realistically like to ask what should I expect in the jc? Anyone else dyslexic here? I have to work really hard to achieve things others do easily, moving school has taken a lot of stress away from me too. Thanks

Too nice wrote: »
    Wow Orla that's amazing. Just thought I'd join here as I have just moved school and am dyslexic. I did we'll in my summer exams mainly high b's and c's but would realistically like to ask what should I expect in the jc? Anyone else dyslexic here? I have to work really hard to achieve things others do easily, moving school has taken a lot of stress away from me too. Thanks

For languages, you get a spelling waver when you're dyslexic :) Make sure to talk to your year head about it, it disregards the spelling/syntax marks that go in the exams.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You have to apply to the Reasonable Accommodations section about it. Ask your Examinations Secretary. Your school psychologist or the educational psychologist who tested you will have to make a report.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Too nice

Ahh thanks I will be tested soon :)what I meant was a much bigger work load as I've done 2 hours almost everyday since first year. Am doing all honours subjects at the moment. Am probably able to cope better anyway. In new school without the many distractions in last school so am now much more focused but it's still hard :) thanks everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Msrebeckyxo

Hello! Junior cert newbie here! Delighted that I've come across this website! Its great to Share notes and stuff with others!

Welcome,

So how's everyone's first few weeks back been ?Mine went :Super motivated......I'll do it tomorrow .....One of my friends will have it done ill just use that...Sure it's only the JC...

On a completely different note doing HL trigonometry in Maths is a horrible experience and I've spent the last2 hours trying to study it and I'm still clueless....Yay.....:(..feckin project maths

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 CiCi123

Eims14 wrote: »
    Welcome,

So how's everyone's first few weeks back been ?Mine went :Super motivated......I'll do it tomorrow .....One of my friends will have it done ill just use that...Sure it's only the JC...

On a completely different note doing HL trigonometry in Maths is a horrible experience and I've spent the last2 hours trying to study it and I'm still clueless....Yay.....:(..feckin project maths

I'm the same saying "oh I'll study for that later" and then the day of our test... "why didn't I learn for it then". I feel your pain in maths! Everytime I open the book a little piece of me dies inside!!!:P

Maths is actually my favourite subject (that sounds really sad) but trigonometry is just painful! We're doing sets at the moment and they are wrecking my head ugh:z I found out today that HL JC maths Is actually Ordinary LC maths?! Is that true?!

We used to do Pre Mocks but our school are introducing assessments. We get three assessments for each subject in October which is a pain in the arse as I've to start studying ugh

Maths is actually my favourite subject (that sounds really sad) but trigonometry is just painful! We're doing sets at the moment and they are wrecking my head ugh:z I found out today that HL JC maths Is actually Ordinary LC maths?! Is that true?!

We used to do Pre Mocks but our school are introducing assessments. We get three assessments for each subject in October which is a pain in the arse as I've to start studying ugh
    Yea I don't usually mind Maths but trig is killing me slowly yea me and my friend realized that cos I think under some of the questions it was like LC2012OL

Yeah kind of, but there's a lot different. For example, there's no Logs on the JC course, but there would be on LC OL.

Oh right! Well that's actually really interesting us "technically" doing LC maths!
    I don't know if anyone's thinking this far ahead but with the Higher level Irish (whoevers doing it) how is everyone getting on? I'm terrible at Irish so I'm just about getting by! It's handy enough us getting an oral though! It's worth 40% our year head said which if you do we'll in that and do alright in the written paper you get a good over all score!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭TheEdgeofGlory

Hey, just wanted to introduce myself, before it"s too late!. I"m a fellow 3rd year, and my name is Juliet. Just started a new school,(moved from public to private), so have the additional task of adjusting. I"m doing 10 higher level subjects(11 in total)- History, English, Irish, Maths, Geography, Music, Science, CSPE ( Common), Home Ec(Mandatory), ( I can"t do my beloved Business because they don"t offer it in the Junior Cycle), French, and Spanish.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

It's handy enough us getting an oral though! It's worth 40%

An Irish Oral for the JC worth 40%?? :(:confused: I haven't heard of this yet.

Anyway, to update ye all. Workload is increasing, free time is disappearing and my mental stability is slipping away:D

• Advertisement

An Irish Oral for the JC worth 40%?? :(:confused: I haven't heard of this yet.

Anyway, to update ye all. Workload is increasing, free time is disappearing and my mental stability is slipping away:D

I thought it was quite high too but that's what my year head was saying to us! It's handy if its true though in all fairness!

Advertisement