Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*JC 2013/2014 Off-Topic Thread*

Options
1565758596062»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭smiles_1998

S_Hick12 wrote: »
    I don't know if we even need books :|
    We have to get three :) still haven't gotten them though! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭coolerboy

We have to get three :) still haven't gotten them though! :D

Are You two going to ty.you are so lucky I am not allowed to do it as my parents think it is a WASTE of TIME

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭S_Hick12

coolerboy wrote: »
    Are You two going to ty.you are so lucky I am not allowed to do it as my parents think it is a WASTE of TIME

Yep, I've been told that TY really brings you out of your shell/gives you more confidence. But look on the bright side, you'll be finished school and we'll be preparing for the leaving cert :(

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭pizzamad

For TY we have like 6 books...english,irish,maths,french,IT and work experience hahahahaha

S_Hick12 wrote: »
    Yep, I've been told that TY really brings you out of your shell/gives you more confidence. But look on the bright side, you'll be finished school and we'll be preparing for the leaving cert :(

Im like the smallest in my year so really doesnt make a difference

• Advertisement

pizzamad wrote: »
    For TY we have like 6 books...english,irish,maths,french,IT and work experience hahahahaha

For fifth year im doing 8 subects so I have like 15 books

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭smiles_1998

coolerboy wrote: »
    I was going to skip it but I'm not mad on the people going into fifth year so I decided to just do TY :) I will no doubt be bored stupid by Christmas but sure...:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You get what you put in to TY. It's different in that if you sit around waiting for things to happen (or the teachers to 'do something Ken!') they won't.

Suggest things, research trips and costs, initiate ideas among yourselves. That's part of the point of it and if you do that you'll have a great experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

spurious wrote: »
    You get what you put in to TY. It's different in that if you sit around waiting for things to happen (or the teachers to 'do something Ken!') they won't.

Suggest things, research trips and costs, initiate ideas among yourselves. That's part of the point of it and if you do that you'll have a great experience.

The Ty's of 2011 and 2012 in our school did loads; Sports teams, debating teams, young scientist, young enterprise competitions, mini-companies etc. They were always doing something. Really enthusiastic bunch that got on with the teachers like a house on fire.

Last years TY's were a completely different kettle of fish. The majority of them had no motivation to do anything. There was no debating team, enterprise teams, or half-decent mini-companies. Very little sports happening on their part either.

Our business teacher (also a TY co-ordinator) really started to get fed up with TY's landing at her classroom door during our business class on a Monday morning (in fact, most mornings of the week) looking for permission slips to go downtown and "lodge/withdraw money for the mini-company" and other "productive" things Hang around the town and frequent the coffee shops

But some of the students in my year have great intentions to make TY what it was like before, engaging and busy; always having something to do. We have a petition of interest for the re-ignition of the debating team and hopefully get the help of the PE teacher to start a lads' basketball team, if we're lucky

Advertisement