Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*JC 2013/2014 Off-Topic Thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭nanook5

Eims14 wrote: »
    This came up today between my friends....just wondering if any of ye take study days.Like tomorrow we only have two proper classes (Irish and English)because of free classes and p.e. and stuff so some of my friends were going to take the day off and go to the library and study because our Xmas tests are in 4 weeks (don't go there...).Theres no doubting they will study and aren't just doing it for a day off but I'm just wondering have any of ye done this or would consider it??

I would if I could ...but we're not allowed AND the library is reserved for 5th + 6th years .

We are allowed to study in SPHE though .....

Xmas tests in 4 weeks ......... Lucky :)

Mine are the week straight after mid term :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 CiCi123

Eims14 wrote: »
    This came up today between my friends....just wondering if any of ye take study days.Like tomorrow we only have two proper classes (Irish and English)because of free classes and p.e. and stuff so some of my friends were going to take the day off and go to the library and study because our Xmas tests are in 4 weeks (don't go there...).Theres no doubting they will study and aren't just doing it for a day off but I'm just wondering have any of ye done this or would consider it??

We get to have pre pre's next week because the teachers think we're not settling down and working......... that should be fun!!! Count yourself very lucky that you have you have 4 weeks to study:D Lets just say the sooner mid term comes the better:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Eims14

nanook5 wrote: »
    I would if I could ...but we're not allowed AND the library is reserved for 5th + 6th years .

We are allowed to study in SPHE though .....

Xmas tests in 4 weeks ......... Lucky :)

Mine are the week straight after mid term :eek:
    We're not allowed exactly....people just go to the library in town and study (I'm not promoting this just wondering if it happens in other schools)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Fifii

My friends doing the poem and she's drawing like sketches of random people like old men and women and stuff (she's incredible,better than the original drawing) and like just lips and eyes and stuff!:) I'm doing mid Term break cause apparently with that theme you can fit anything in that! Places "you've visited",a book "you've read"(like say you're doing masque ball,it's like "oh yes I read a book on masque ball over mid term and got quite interested in the topic!"
    I think the themes are dreadful and my art teacher keeps to get me to change my theme when ie settled one so now I'm behind everyone else :(
    That's a really good point! I'm really far behind now too! When I saw that title all I could think of was Mid Term Break by Seamus Heaney...Good luck with your project!

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Msrebeckyxo

Fifii wrote: »
    That's a really good point! I'm really far behind now too! When I saw that title all I could think of was Mid Term Break by Seamus Heaney...Good luck with your project!

I did too! Thank you,best of luck with you too!:)

We used to have pre mocks (a week of exams in October) but now we have 33 class tests (3 per class) from mid sept to mid nov. It is dreadful! I do have say 3 all in one day! Buzzing for mid term ahh! :D Will sleep all the way through! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Msrebeckyxo

Just wondering,if a teacher tells your parents you're a "C student" and ever since then you've gotten a C in every class,even though you know you're doing well,should the teacher be reported?
    No reported exactly but like be spoken about to the year head or something?
    It's happened in English and its just so frustrating cause I know I'm doing well in essays and she always has a slight problem with them that some how brings me down to a C? Confuzzeledddd :/

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭EireLemon

Doing JC this year also, What a bloody year we have ahead of us.

Anyone know where to get free study notes? Like good ones ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

EireLemon wrote: »
    Doing JC this year also, What a bloody year we have ahead of us.

Anyone know where to get free study notes? Like good ones ;)
    What subjects?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 krazedkiller

I love Tech Graph, got an A in the JC and 95% in the mocks. Any particular thing you'd need tips in? Personally I'd just say practice, practice, practice. By the end of the year, our teacher had had us do every single HL question in the past papers, twice. With plenty of tests.

Wow anyway I'm getting a c (higher level) at the moment which pretty much sucks because all my other subjects are As but anyway do u know if there's any good websites or revison books that can help. My weakest part is auxiliary elevation and true shape:3

What subjects?

Erm history geography business science basically all the theory based subjects

• Advertisement

Does anyone know about this practical work or sumtin for science. The teacher hasn't really talked about it much and if there's anyway I can prepare for it. I love science my best subject :)

Does anyone know about this practical work or sumtin for science. The teacher hasn't really talked about it much and if there's anyway I can prepare for it. I love science my best subject :)
    The Science exam is separated into three parts.
    a) The actual written exam. (60%)*
    b) Course book A. (20%)*
    c) Course book B. (20%)*
    *I don't remember the exact percentage but both course books are about 2/5 of the overall mark.

Firstly, course book A is very easy and there should be no reason not to get full marks. You have to write down like 50 experiments into a notebook, that's all you do. But make sure everything is explained perfectly and the diagrams are legit to understand and follow. My teacher told me not every school is checked if the students did course book A every year. So some schools get away with 20% without even touching course book A. But the schools which are checked are picked by random, so better be safe than sorry!

Course book B is a bit harder. You have to basically do two experiments(NOT VERY STRAIGHT FORWARD EXPERIMENTS!) from a list of three. You have to write EVERYTHING you did, what you thought would happen and your research leading to the experiment into a examination booklet. It's easy if you listen to your teacher as she/he will explain everything, and when I did it, we did the experiments in groups. The course book B is sent to examiners so there is no way of dodging this one. My teacher also told me that it's very rare to get full marks on this, I doubted that.

The written exam is easy if you do the study. :pac:

Hope this answers all your questions, I got an A in Higher Level Science so I know what I'm rambling about ;).

The Science exam is separated into three parts.
    a) The actual written exam. (60%)*
    b) Course book A. (20%)*
    c) Course book B. (20%)*
    *I don't remember the exact percentage but both course books are about 2/5 of the overall mark.

Firstly, course book A is very easy and there should be no reason not to get full marks. You have to write down like 50 experiments into a notebook, that's all you do. But make sure everything is explained perfectly and the diagrams are legit to understand and follow. My teacher told me not every school is checked if the students did course book A every year. So some schools get away with 20% without even touching course book A. But the schools which are checked are picked by random, so better be safe than sorry!

Course book B is a bit harder. You have to basically do two experiments(NOT VERY STRAIGHT FORWARD EXPERIMENTS!) from a list of three. You have to write EVERYTHING you did, what you thought would happen and your research leading to the experiment into a examination booklet. It's easy if you listen to your teacher as she/he will explain everything, and when I did it, we did the experiments in groups. The course book B is sent to examiners so there is no way of dodging this one. My teacher also told me that it's very rare to get full marks on this, I doubted that.

The written exam is easy if you do the study. :pac:

Hope this answers all your questions, I got an A in Higher Level Science so I know what I'm rambling about ;).

THANKS SO MUCH really helpful cleared my mind just one question, are the experiments from course B one of those mandatory activities or will it be random?:D

THANKS SO MUCH really helpful cleared my mind just one question, are the experiments from course B one of those mandatory activities or will it be random?:D
    It's a random experiment that isn't on the Junior Cert syllabus, I also found the two I did way more complicated than the normal Junior Cert experiment you'll see in your notes. It's easy, so don't worry. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭mobydopy

The Technology design tasks for 13/14 have come out. What are your ideas/Which one are you choosing

The Technology design tasks for 13/14 have come out. What are your ideas/Which one are you choosing

E or F are pretty good ones or the air boat one . I'll probably do F .What are you thinking of doing?:D

E or F are pretty good ones or the air boat one . I'll probably do F .What are you thinking of doing?:D

Probably doing C (the airboat). You have any ideas for A or F

Probably doing C (the airboat). You have any ideas for A or F

For F I was thinking of a blue-vacuum formed piece of acrylic with some sort of mechanism on the back that will move a small chair diagonally up and down .So then I'd have to use a DPDT Switch.

What's your ideas?

I still haven't sat down and thought of ideas ( i'll think over the mid-term) Do the projects have to be real size products or are they just miniature models of it.
    For example for the elderly women assisting question are you going to create a real size chair that will move up and down diagonally or is it just a small miniature version. :confused:

I still haven't sat down and thought of ideas ( i'll think over the mid-term) Do the projects have to be real size products or are they just miniature models of it.
    For example for the elderly women assisting question are you going to create a real size chair that will move up and down diagonally or is it just a small miniature version. :confused:

Jesus No !! Just a small model :D

Had double tech today and we went on the computers to find some info .

I'm starting to lean toward C now .....

• Advertisement

Jesus No !! Just a small model :D

Had double tech today and we went on the computers to find some info .

I'm starting to lean toward C now .....

Cheers man...(I saw a pic in our tech room of a previous jc project and it was a real size project. Got a bit confused, sorry)

I've never seen a real sized one before :confused:

I've never seen a real sized one before :confused:

The airboat question doesn't seem that hard. If you look up some models of airboats on google you get some pretty good ideas

https://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1366&bih=667&q=airboat+models&oq=airboat+models&gs_l=img.3...489.3650.0.4139.14.10.0.4.4.0.57.453.10.10.0....0...1ac.1.29.img..1.13.457.Zbnw_04fsGo

We made some last year and they could go forward and backward but the problem would be making it go left/right + back/forward .

I have information on everything .... I made a 12 page resource file today .

My problem with C is do I use an LDR or a motion sensor when a child sits on the seat .I haven't really considered doing the timer part

We made some last year and they could go forward and backward but the problem would be making it go left/right + back/forward .

I have information on everything .... I made a 12 page resource file today .

My problem with C is do I use an LDR or a motion sensor when a child sits on the seat .I haven't really considered doing the timer part

For C (the airboat) what's the name of the circuit you'll need to use.

For C (the airboat) what's the name of the circuit you'll need to use.

I've no clue but I'm pretty sure you'll have to use two double pole double throw switches in order to have left/right and forward/backwards movement. :confused:

I've no clue but I'm pretty sure you'll have to use two double pole double throw switches in order to have left/right and forward/backwards movement. :confused:

You said you know how to make it go forward and backwards but not left and right. Can you elaborate and explain how to make it go forward and backwards

I just remembered it wasn't my hovercraft that went forward/backward it was a different project I made , which was a car but the same circuit can be used.

Here is a pic of it . It might be hard to understand .

10498384364_b69fee8323_z.jpg
    10498362233_15dbb1f621_b by Reece Gavin, on Flickr

The 2 battery snaps wires go into the 2 middle contacts .

The 2 motor cables go into the left and right contacts of either one of the battery snaps cables .

Then you need two short cables to bridge across from each diagonal .

As seen in the picture,the green diagonal cable goes from one diagonal(Which is free) to the other which has one of the motor cables in it (You need to put the two cables in one contact).

The the other bridge cable is used to do the same thing except on the other diagonal.

I just remembered it wasn't my hovercraft that went forward/backward it was a different project I made , which was a car but the same circuit can be used.

Here is a pic of it . It might be hard to understand .

10498384364_b69fee8323_z.jpg
    10498362233_15dbb1f621_b by Reece Gavin, on Flickr

The 2 battery snaps wires go into the 2 middle contacts .

The 2 motor cables go into the left and right contacts of either one of the battery snaps cables .

Then you need two short cables to bridge across from each diagonal .

As seen in the picture,the green diagonal cable goes from one diagonal(Which is free) to the other which has one of the motor cables in it (You need to put the two cables in one contact).

The the other bridge cable is used to do the same thing except on the other diagonal.

DAFUQ. I have no idea what any of that means. We made a car before by it used mechanisms and pulleys and motors instead.

• Advertisement

DAFUQ. I have no idea what any of that means. We made a car before by it used mechanisms and pulleys and motors instead.

Ya it's just a motor connected to a pulley .

Advertisement