Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*JC 2013/2014 Off-Topic Thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

Technology isn't even available at JC in our school.:confused:

Anyhow. It is the mid-term and with that we have been left plenty of homework and stuff to study.

For music we have to learn off our general study essay/notes. We're doing it on jazz music and that doesn't look too bad. Only a matter of learning off some notes.

One thing that has me a bit worried is the second part of the mid-term music study. We have to revise ALL the set songs and 2 of the set works (RITR and L'Arlesienne Suite no.2).

A question, how do you revise set songs/works. I have tried several methods up to now. Like putting the features of the song set to the tune of the set song.

Eg. (to the tune of preab san ól)
    Key of G major,
    Range of a 9th,
    Repeated notes,
    Triadic Leaps....

It is OK but not completely fool-proof. I forget 1 line and I am thrown off completely:rolleyes:

How do ye get around it?

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭smiles_1998

Technology isn't even available at JC in our school.:confused:

Anyhow. It is the mid-term and with that we have been left plenty of homework and stuff to study.

For music we have to learn off our general study essay/notes. We're doing it on jazz music and that doesn't look too bad. Only a matter of learning off some notes.

One thing that has me a bit worried is the second part of the mid-term music study. We have to revise ALL the set songs and 2 of the set works (RITR and L'Arlesienne Suite no.2).

A question, how do you revise set songs/works. I have tried several methods up to now. Like putting the features of the song set to the tune of the set song.

Key of G major,
    Range of a 9th,
    Repeated notes,
    Triadic Leaps....

It is OK but not completely fool-proof. I forget 1 line and I am thrown off completely:rolleyes:

How do ye get around it?

Haha we're doing the Beatles for our General Study :)

Our teacher had us write out a chart for each song (with category of song, title, melodic features etc.) but your song idea sounds really good :) I don't even want to THINK about the Set Works...I have really come to hate RITR with a passion...:/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

Haha we're doing the Beatles for our General Study :)

Our teacher had us write out a chart for each song (with category of song, title, melodic features etc.) but your song idea sounds really good :) I don't even want to THINK about the Set Works...I have really come to hate RITR with a passion...:/
    ]

WHAT BEATLES SONG ARE YOU DOING?!?!?! I'm sorry, anybody who was on the JC forum last year, knows I'm a massive Beatles fan :D
    Sgt. Pepper's is back on the LC music course but they picked the worst songs off it, A Day In The Life isn't even on the list but When I'm 64 Is...ffs :rolleyes:;)

Jijsaw wrote: »
    ]

WHAT BEATLES SONG ARE YOU DOING?!?!?! I'm sorry, anybody who was on the JC forum last year, knows I'm a massive Beatles fan :D
    Sgt. Pepper's is back on the LC music course but they picked the worst songs off it, A Day In The Life isn't even on the list but When I'm 64 Is...ffs :rolleyes:;)

Haha we did loads of songs...from the really good ones (Let It Be and Blackbird) to the really bad (Ob-La-Di) to the just plain weird ones (Strawberry Fields). Seriously, Strawberry Fields REALLY freaks me out :eek: Now we have to write paragraphs out on the rhythmic and melodic features of the songs and the instruments used...fun times ahead :mad:

Haha we did loads of songs...from the really good ones (Let It Be and Blackbird) to the really bad (Ob-La-Di) to the just plain weird ones (Strawberry Fields). Seriously, Strawberry Fields REALLY freaks me out :eek: Now we have to write paragraphs out on the rhythmic and melodic features of the songs and the instruments used...fun times ahead :mad:

Ah Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da isn't that bad, I used to listen to that when I was 6 in the car with my parents :cool: Strawberry Fields Forever is a savage song, one of Lennon's best IMO... To hear a weird song just listen to I Am The Walrus, still a class song though :D Do any George/Ringo songs?

• Advertisement

Ah Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da isn't that bad, I used to listen to that when I was 6 in the car with my parents :cool: Strawberry Fields Forever is a savage song, one of Lennon's best IMO... To hear a weird song just listen to I Am The Walrus, still a class song though :D Do any George/Ringo songs?

What did I just listen to???!!! :eek: I Am The Walrus is definitely the weirdest song ever...no we are only doing Paul Mc Cartney and John Lennon songs I think

What did I just listen to???!!! :eek: I Am The Walrus is definitely the weirdest song ever...no we are only doing Paul Mc Cartney and John Lennon songs I think

Ah that's sad George did some great songs and Ringo yeah...Ringo's nice... :) Listen to 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps' if you want to hear a good George song, I shall convert you into a major Beatles fan, I will :D

Ah that's sad George did some great songs and Ringo yeah...Ringo's nice... :) Listen to 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps' if you want to hear a good George song, I shall convert you into a major Beatles fan, I will :D
    Haha yeah it's actually an okay song :) Haha good luck- I'm still not crazy about them :p

Haha yeah it's actually an okay song :) Haha good luck- I'm still not crazy about them :p

"OKAY"?!?!?! My God child what kind of music do you listen to that 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps' is OK, Eric Clapton is playing on it for God's sake :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭mobydopy

nanook5 wrote: »
    Ya it's just a motor connected to a pulley .

Im doing the aeroplane launcher question know. Way easier

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭MmmPancakes

Key of G major,
    Range of a 9th,
    Repeated notes,
    Triadic Leaps....

How do ye get around it?

Do you have to figure out the key on the spot without a keyboard?

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

Well, we kinda have to previously learn the key signature of the song.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭MmmPancakes

Well, we kinda have to previously learn the key signature of the song.

Oh right. Rolling off the key without a keyboard seems impossible haha

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭hf98kk

Havent done any study yet for christmas tests (they start on the 16th of december) but I think I will still do well, hopefully 3 weekends of study is enough. Any opinions?

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭CathalRyano

hf98kk wrote: »
    Havent done any study yet for christmas tests (they start on the 16th of december) but I think I will still do well, hopefully 3 weekends of study is enough. Any opinions?

I did JC last year, for my mocks I did 3 weeks of study before them and that was fine, so I think you'll be fine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I did JC last year, for my mocks I did 3 weeks of study before them and that was fine, so I think you'll be fine.

This is true, IF you have paid attention in class and kept up with your homework.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 CiCi123

I was just wondering, are the mocks corrected by our teachers or are they sent away and if so to who?:)

CiCi123 wrote: »
    I was just wondering, are the mocks corrected by our teachers or are they sent away and if so to who?:)

Your teachers will correct them and go through them in class. For the actual JC there sent off to examiners and you'll never see them again. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 CiCi123

Your teachers will correct them and go through them in class. For the actual JC there sent off to examiners and you'll never see them again. :)
    Ok Thanks I wans't sure to be honest because some people in school we saying different things. I'll be glad not to see the ones in June again I'd say:p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Depends on your school. If you're paying, or paying more than 20 euro to do them, they are probably being sent out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭MissCupcake

I wanted to be first! ;)

Welcome to the Junior Cert Forum, you'll enjoy your stay, trust me! :D

If you have any questions, feel free to ask :).

Hey could you tell me how to study for each subject
    english HL
    Irish HL
    French HL
    Maths HL
    history HL
    geography HL
    science HL
    home ec HL
    cspe HL
    art HL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

Hey could you tell me how to study for each subject
    english HL
    Irish HL
    French HL
    Maths HL
    history HL
    geography HL
    science HL
    home ec HL
    cspe HL
    art HL
    Firstly, this question is already answered, just scroll up a bit, and secondly, just listen in class and do your homework to the best of your ability. You're probably in shell-shock from realising that the JC is getting closer (I sure was!) so I'll give you some tips.

English:
    Practice, practice, practice! I can't empathise this enough. If you haven't already, get English exam papers or go on examinations.ie and do exam questions. Time yourself on the question you do. For example, the reading comprehension should only take 30mins maximum and ideally you should be aiming for 22mins. Keep doing the reading comprehension from all the years and give them to a teacher who would correct them and point out mistakes. Just keep repeating this for all sections, and make sure you're done within the time as time is very important for the English exam. However, personally, the hardest section of the English exam is Personal Writing. I believe my essay dropped me from a A/B to a C for my JC, even though I got a B on my mocks (I used a different essay) but that's another story. Just make sure you give loads of work to your teacher so he/she could correct it, hopefully your teacher is as passionate as mine was.

Irish:
    Know all your verbs! Past-tense, future tense, present tense and present-continuous! Also, keep practicing story and letter writing, they carry a lot of marks.

French:
    I did Italian for the JC, before someone says it, no, they're completely two different exams! I'm sure French follows the same study ideology as Irish.

History:
    Don't learn from the book for this subject. Compress pages of information into a few bullet points or a mind-map. This will make it easier to learn and look over, and make the wording easy to understand. The exam is easy. Just write down facts, no waffling or bull$%£. Mind you, the bell curve might put you down so make sure you have a rough idea on ALL the chapters.

Science:
    If you know your facts, it's easy. What's really bugging me now as I write this is that teachers influence your results. My science teacher is my favourite and the best teacher, and he got me my only A (I hardly studied for science, but maybe that A was because of my natural love for it.) Again, don't learn from the book, compress everything into simple notes. My science teacher did this from day one in 1st year so yea, it works. If you look at the exam papers, the exam is small and simple, you just have to write very simple and short answers for very few questions. What makes it hard is that it's random and only like 1/20 of the science course is covered in the exam so you have to study everything if you want to be covered for the exam.

Maths:
    Practice! I began practicing exam papers from day one on 3rd year. I got a D on my mocks and then came out with a B on the JC! That's because I did every year in the exam paper at least 3 times after my mocks and got them all corrected by my teacher. Although, Maths can be hard to gasp on your own. Just keep practicing and give your papers to your teacher and repeat until you get 100%.

Geography:
    Like History and Science, compress all the information into simple notes and diagrams. If you write down the facts, you will only get 33% on the JC. The other 66% go for the explanation so you have to be able to explain why X is different from Y etc. You should also add anything that you think is relevant to your answer, this will make the examiner happy.

Home Economics:
    I didn't have the best teacher for this subject. This subject is also fact based, so just make notes and make sure you know your diagrams as they are important for some of the long questions. The cookery and project add up to 40% of the exam, so make sure you give it your all.

CSPE:
    I didn't study for CSPE and I got a A on the mocks (no bell curve) and a B on the JC (bell curve). I believe I got an A percentage wise but I got dropped because I wasn't in the top X percent. This subject is very easy and probably a waste of money. If you're aware of what's happening in this world, then you'll be grand. However, for the long questions in the end, do the poster one as only one kid in my class did that question and he's the only one who got an A, so yea, I should of done it aswell >_<.

I didn't do Art so I don't know what's the jazz for that.

Overall, DON'T LEAVE THE CLASSROOM IF YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND, TELL YOUR TEACHER AND HE/SHE WILL EXPLAIN! If you need more help/information, just ask :pac:.

Firstly, this question is already answered, just scroll up a bit, and secondly, just listen in class and do your homework to the best of your ability. You're probably in shell-shock from realising that the JC is getting closer (I sure was!) so I'll give you some tips.

English:
    Practice, practice, practice! I can't empathise this enough. If you haven't already, get English exam papers or go on examinations.ie and do exam questions. Time yourself on the question you do. For example, the reading comprehension should only take 30mins maximum and ideally you should be aiming for 22mins. Keep doing the reading comprehension from all the years and give them to a teacher who would correct them and point out mistakes. Just keep repeating this for all sections, and make sure you're done within the time as time is very important for the English exam. However, personally, the hardest section of the English exam is Personal Writing. I believe my essay dropped me from a A/B to a C for my JC, even though I got a B on my mocks (I used a different essay) but that's another story. Just make sure you give loads of work to your teacher so he/she could correct it, hopefully your teacher is as passionate as mine was.

Irish:
    Know all your verbs! Past-tense, future tense, present tense and present-continuous! Also, keep practicing story and letter writing, they carry a lot of marks.

French:
    I did Italian for the JC, before someone says it, no, they're completely two different exams! I'm sure French follows the same study ideology as Irish.

History:
    Don't learn from the book for this subject. Compress pages of information into a few bullet points or a mind-map. This will make it easier to learn and look over, and make the wording easy to understand. The exam is easy. Just write down facts, no waffling or bull$%£. Mind you, the bell curve might put you down so make sure you have a rough idea on ALL the chapters.

Science:
    If you know your facts, it's easy. What's really bugging me now as I write this is that teachers influence your results. My science teacher is my favourite and the best teacher, and he got me my only A (I hardly studied for science, but maybe that A was because of my natural love for it.) Again, don't learn from the book, compress everything into simple notes. My science teacher did this from day one in 1st year so yea, it works. If you look at the exam papers, the exam is small and simple, you just have to write very simple and short answers for very few questions. What makes it hard is that it's random and only like 1/20 of the science course is covered in the exam so you have to study everything if you want to be covered for the exam.

Maths:
    Practice! I began practicing exam papers from day one on 3rd year. I got a D on my mocks and then came out with a B on the JC! That's because I did every year in the exam paper at least 3 times after my mocks and got them all corrected by my teacher. Although, Maths can be hard to gasp on your own. Just keep practicing and give your papers to your teacher and repeat until you get 100%.

Geography:
    Like History and Science, compress all the information into simple notes and diagrams. If you write down the facts, you will only get 33% on the JC. The other 66% go for the explanation so you have to be able to explain why X is different from Y etc. You should also add anything that you think is relevant to your answer, this will make the examiner happy.

Home Economics:
    I didn't have the best teacher for this subject. This subject is also fact based, so just make notes and make sure you know your diagrams as they are important for some of the long questions. The cookery and project add up to 40% of the exam, so make sure you give it your all.

CSPE:
    I didn't study for CSPE and I got a A on the mocks (no bell curve) and a B on the JC (bell curve). I believe I got an A percentage wise but I got dropped because I wasn't in the top X percent. This subject is very easy and probably a waste of money. If you're aware of what's happening in this world, then you'll be grand. However, for the long questions in the end, do the poster one as only one kid in my class did that question and he's the only one who got an A, so yea, I should of done it aswell >_<.

I didn't do Art so I don't know what's the jazz for that.

Overall, DON'T LEAVE THE CLASSROOM IF YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND, TELL YOUR TEACHER AND HE/SHE WILL EXPLAIN! If you need more help/information, just ask :pac:.

Thanks so much! thanks for puttin so much effort.You're really helpful! How much should i be studying each day to get all A's?

Thanks so much! thanks for puttin so much effort.You're really helpful! How much should i be studying each day to get all A's?

Study until you know it. After you finish studying for a history chapter etc, do a few questions from past papers and get them corrected. Take breaks though and save all the mega studying until around the mocks.

Study until you know it. After you finish studying for a history chapter etc, do a few questions from past papers and get them corrected. Take breaks though and save all the mega studying until around the mocks.
    Thanks! I think i'll do a good bit of study for the Christmas exams but i'm taking a break over Christmas.Then I'll have to start studying hard after Christmas! :rolleyes: An advice on the English personal writing section? Also im having trouble with timing but i guess I'll just practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭jldesign

I have to learn answers for an tádh and faoiléan for my studied pros and story, I'm finding it really hard to learn them off by heart & Will not be able to construct a good one myself, Any ideas on tips to learn them off?

jldesign wrote: »
    I have to learn answers for an tádh and faoiléan for my studied pros and story, I'm finding it really hard to learn them off by heart & Will not be able to construct a good one myself, Any ideas on tips to learn them off?

Keep repeating each sentence until you know it. How I learnt my answers was keep writing each sentence down word for word until I knew the entire sentence, then I move onto the next sentence whilst writing down the first one aswell. It's a long process but it really works, even after my JC, I still remember huge chunks of the answers I learnt :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭hf98kk

any views on revision books such as revise wise, shortcuts to success, etc? which are best and do they help? I have irish listening comprehension for my Christmas test very soon and I need help.

hf98kk wrote: »
    any views on revision books such as revise wise, shortcuts to success, etc? which are best and do they help? I have irish listening comprehension for my Christmas test very soon and I need help.

The Less Stress More Success has a great vocabulary section and key words section for listening comprehensions, reading comprehensions and all other sections of the exam. Learning 4-5 new words everyday is really helping.
    I'd recommend LESS STRESS MORE SUCCESS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭jldesign

I know this may sound slightly stupid but this is my devious side speaking:

Is the JC set at the same time all across the country or is there any possibility someone might be able to share a tip or two like the mocks?

Beat the system ;)

Advertisement