Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

banned from BER forum for asking a question, now banned for life

Options
  • 21-08-2013 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭

Hi

I was a contributor to the thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=84663931

The thread has now been removed. The thread was removed after I had posted my most recent post, .. several weeks or months after my original one week ban. I believe the thread has been removed as the moderators don't come across well and the thread reflects badly on them. In other words, the fact that the thread has been deleted is evidence of sorts that the moderators have acted unfairly.

The original one week ban was personal, over the top, and disproportionate. I originally posted a true post that both of Ireland's largest online estate agents were willfully breaking Irish law,.. specifically they were advertising properties without specifying BER ratings. English companies have a culture of obeying the law and so they refuse to list properties without BER certs.

Muffler snipped my post removing the names of the law breaking companies. He then went for the personal attack by deliberately posting in a manner designed to belittle and to provoke. He replied 'The bastards', accompanied by a shock smiley. His apparent intention was to be insulting to me, and to be dismissive of my comments.

Muffler is clearly showing support for criminal behaviour by replying in that way. There is no other interpretation.

So I made a conservative reply. Given Mufflers clear show of support for criminal behaviour,.. support which was shown by his being completely dismissive and insulting of the fact that large companies are making choices everyday to break the law. Large companies choosing to break the law is simply not good enough, but Muffler thinks large companies breaking the law is something to be laughed about, and rudely dismissed.

Muffler had posted
    Muffler wrote:
    <SNIP> and <SNIP> are illegitimate lawbreakers.

The bastards :eek:

This was my reply.
    Joe wrote:
    What's your point Muffler?

Is it that you want to live in a lawless society?

Are you a criminal yourself?

Why are you allowing Kosice to make allegations about MyHome but not me?

I was banned for a week. Completely over the top ruling imo. I appealed to Muffler but got nowhere. I consider the decision bizarre. I clearly meant no offence. Muffler had clearly meant to be dismissive of me, and insulting, yet when I ask a legitimate question about his motivations I'm banned for a week?

While I was unhappy at the ban as it was unfair, and disproportionate I accepted it. However, several months later I posted questions which I consider entirely reasonable into the thread. The moderators don't appreciate criticism and banned me for life as a result. They deleted the thread which is telling in my view.

I think my lifetime ban is way over the top and disproportionate.
    SydTheBeat wrote:
    You have been permanently banned from Construction & Planning for being uncivil.

Typically, this means that you are posting in a needlessly aggressive or confrontational manner being disruptive on the forum or causing stress for the other members. We don't want that here.

I find it bizarre that moderators are prepared to describe my reasonable behaviour as aggressive or confrontational while ignoring Mufflers deliberately dismissive and insulting comments. And of course, Muffler's comments were unprovoked,.. whereas my reasonable comments were made in response to Mufflers deliberately insulting and dismissive comments.

I'd like the lifetime ban to be overturned although I don't have any intention of posting again in the BER forum. The most prominent feature of the BER system in Ireland is the huge level of non compliance, and the incompetence of our legislators in producing such flawed legislation (which doesn't allow for enforcement). There have been no sanctions placed on anybody despite widespread non-compliance with what are supposedly compulsory laws. That is not good enough and to dismiss those facts as Muffler has done is also not good enough, and such a dismissal represents tacit approval,... hence enquiring into Mufflers motivations as I've done is absolutely reasonable, and to ban me as a result is also entirely unreasonable.

Cheers so
    Joe
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Hi Joe,

One of the Rec Cmods will take a look at this and get back to you.

Micky.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Joe, you have stated multiple times on these forums that one of our mods supports criminal enterprise. We can't accept that. I'm issuing a one month siteban and would ask you to refrain from making such accusations on your return.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭JoeB-

Hi everybody.

I'm back now after suffering a one month site wide ban for making this appeal.

r3nu4l is wrong when he says 'you have stated multiple times on these forums that one of our mods supports criminal enterprise'. I would challenge r3nu4l to prove that allegation. At no time did I state anything of the sort.

In short, Muffler was deliberately abusive to me, and my reasonable comments were made in response to his abuse. I was merely questioning why Muffler was choosing to act in a deliberately insulting way, .. given that I had never had any dealings with him previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

r3nu4l is wrong when he says 'you have stated multiple times on these forums that one of our mods supports criminal enterprise'. I would challenge r3nu4l to prove that allegation. At no time did I state anything of the sort.

Ahem, please see below. :) Just so we're crystal clear on this. The quote below and other accusations similar to it are the reason you were sitebanned, not for making an appeal.

Muffler is clearly showing support for criminal behaviour by replying in that way. There is no other interpretation.

I hope that this is clear enough for you and helps you to understand.You can see from the quote above that you clearly stated that a mod supported criminal behaviour despite your bizarre denials. I can appreciate that for some people their intellect may be considerably taxed in trying to understand the reason for the ban but I'm absolutely convinced that your intellect is of sufficient capacity and you now understand.

This issue is now resolved, maybe not to your satisfaction but it's resolved and I won't allow you to become a timesink or entertain you any further.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement