Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transfer to Journalism

Options
  • 21-08-2013 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

I have been studying Civil Engineering in DIT for the past 2 years and will be entering my 3rd year in September. The course is a level 7. I didn't do engineering in secondary school so had to start out doing a level 7 and then work my way up to a level 8.

The level 7 is 3 years, at which point I would have to transfer into a level 8 for a further 2 years. I have always wanted to do journalism however, I did not have the points. I was 20 points short when the CAO offers came out in 2011. My question is would it be possible to transfer to a level 8 journalism course once I receive my level 7 degree in Civil Engineering at the end of this academic year?

Financially it would make sense. As I understand it, you only get 4 years of paid fees. I did my leaving cert in 2010 and went to NUIM for a year before leaving and going to DIT. So at the end of this 3rd year in DIT I will have used up my 4 years free fees. So if I were to stay on at DIT for the level 8 I would be paying 2 years full fees.

Basically, I am just wondering if I can do anything, transfer-wise, with my level 7 Civil Engineering degree.

Thanks for any help.

Advertisement