Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat Vaccination

• 21-08-2013 2:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know if cat vaccines can be bought otc?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I don't know, but I wouldn't attempt to administer them without the proper training. It's a bit more complicated than just sticking a needle in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

kylith wrote: »
    I don't know, but I wouldn't attempt to administer them without the proper training. It's a bit more complicated than just sticking a needle in.

Had the training alright (though I know legally I'm not supposed to). I know a while ago there were a few pharmacies that sold them but I dont know if they have all stopped now.

Just spoke ro pharmacist who said they are prescription now so vets only :(

210 it is :(

Two hundred and ten euro?

Is it that you have a lot of cats, or just one ENORMOUS cat?

Two hundred and ten euro?

Is it that you have a lot of cats, or just one ENORMOUS cat?

lol, no there are 3, so I figure at 65-70 each?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Depends on clinic; I know when I did our two last time we paid 90 (45 each) for the standard shots inc. standard health check (no blood etc.).

OldNotWIse wrote: »

That's about €5-€15 more than I pay for my dogs. I'd say you'll find a more reasonably priced vet if you shop around.

Nody wrote: »
    Depends on clinic; I know when I did our two last time we paid 90 (45 each) for the standard shots inc. standard health check (no blood etc.).
    That's about €5-€15 more than I pay for my dogs. I'd say you'll find a more reasonably priced vet if you shop around.

ok will do! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭Ever2010

I think ours were about €45 each - as we have 4 cats we did one a week, and our vet gave us a discount as we had them all done. Our vet is in a very rural area and is much cheaper than the local town though.

Worth asking for a discount!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,188 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

You have 3 cats and you wanted to vaccinate them yourself?

*hands purple heart*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I wouldn't dream of vaccinating a cat myself. For one thing, with some of the "stronger" cat vaccines, they can have an adverse reaction, so you do want your vet involved. Live vaccines can actually cause the disease being vaccinated against, if administered incorrectly. Your vet is also the best judge of the health of your cat and if the vaccination should be delayed for any reason. You also have the comfort of knowing the vaccine was stored correctly and won't be ineffective. Wrongly stored vaccines also have an increased chance of causing an adverse reaction, which varies in seriousness to simple lethargy, to death (admittedly rare.)

OP When shopping around for prices ask what the vaccine includes. The basic vaccine against panleukopaenia, FHV-1 and calicivirus will be cheaper than those that include FeLV. In Limerick the cost of an annual booster including FeLV is about €55.

Ever2010 wrote: »
    I think ours were about €45 each - as we have 4 cats we did one a week, and our vet gave us a discount as we had them all done. Our vet is in a very rural area and is much cheaper than the local town though.

Worth asking for a discount!

Sure is. Is it ok to stagger the vaccs though? I heard somethign before about them shedding the virus after the vacc, which might put others at risk? Possibly a myth!

boomerang wrote: »
    I wouldn't dream of vaccinating a cat myself. For one thing, with some of the "stronger" cat vaccines, they can have an adverse reaction, so you do want your vet involved. Live vaccines can actually cause the disease being vaccinated against, if administered incorrectly. Your vet is also the best judge of the health of your cat and if the vaccination should be delayed for any reason. You also have the comfort of knowing the vaccine was stored correctly and won't be ineffective. Wrongly stored vaccines also have an increased chance of causing an adverse reaction, which varies in seriousness to simple lethargy, to death (admittedly rare.)

OP When shopping around for prices ask what the vaccine includes. The basic vaccine against panleukopaenia, FHV-1 and calicivirus will be cheaper than those that include FeLV. In Limerick the cost of an annual booster including FeLV is about €55.
    ok thanks for info. We've always done it, having been trained to do it in our line of voluntary work, but in any case, you're right. I remember being asked for the additional (I think FIV) vacc before - had always assumed it was an all in shot :( So, lets get the brats together - three moggas to the vet with my learner permit - easy! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭Ever2010

We just did one cat each week - just helped to spread out the payments for us!

I was the same OP, but then I did vet nursing and learned about immunology and vaccination protocols - it opened my eyes. No one other than a vet should be vaccinating our pets. Even a vet nurse is not allowed to vaccinate - they can only administer the second primary vaccination to a puppy or kitten, under the direction of a vet.

If memory serves, it is true about the animal shedding the virus after vaccination *if* it is a live vaccine. But if your adult cats have been vaccinated in the previous year (or longer, depending on the individual disease vaccinated against) your other cats will have resistance. It is a problem with the kennel cough vaccine.

This is my go to for information on infectious feline diseases and vaccination protocols:

http://www.abcd-vets.org/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

boomerang wrote: »

This is my go to for information on infectious feline diseases and vaccination protocols:

http://www.abcd-vets.org/

Excellent site, thanks for that ;)

I love that site. I'm a total nerd when it comes to infectious diseases in cats but anyone involved in cat rescue should bone up on this stuff!

Advertisement