Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to migrate entire contents of server?

• 21-08-2013 4:04pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5

I currently rent a server running Ubuntu 12.04, from which I run a number of websites over apache/mysql as well as a deluge seedbox.

I have found a better, cheaper server on offer and would like to migrate to it. If I rent this new one while the old one is still live I should be able to transfer the data across, correct?

Can anyone tell me how I would go about migrating everything in such a way that my websites and seedbox stuff still works? The latter is not a high priority as I can just set it up again but obviously the sites are.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭micosoft

I'm presuming that it's hosting company. Is it a Virtual Machine you are renting or bare metal with OS running directly on it?
    When you say everything do you mean the OS as well? Why everything?
    Do you have the server backed up?
    You get the hosting company to image the server and give you the image on DVD/HDD. You can restore albeit you may need to add RAID drivers if the new box is very different. Typically there will be charges for this...

Normally though you just back up your Apache config, files etc using FTP and deploy on the new server which already has LAMP on it. You can do this remotely without involving either hosting company. Since it's only your content it won't take too long wheras the OS etc will be a couple of GB.

Advertisement