Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would love some help to fully furniture our new home please?

Options
  • 21-08-2013 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

Hi all,
    We have just bought our first home and have to furniture everything new when we move in a few weeks.
    We will be buying as we go along for the next 3 months maybe and we want to get decent realiable items.

Does anyone want to help me :)

Kitchen: (We are going for the black affect in the kitchen so all black appliances.
    I have a cooker, kettle, toaster and a microwave.
    So we need a washing machine I know beko are 300 approx and Bosch and Hotpoint are more than double.
    We can take our time getting a dryer.
    So we need a fridge freezer, would love a black one with a ice maker but don't think we will have the Hight in the kitchen because of above cupboards.
    We will be also getting tables and chairs.

Any other kitchen items anyone wants to mention?

Onto bedrooms:
    Where is best place to buy bedroom furniture and beds?

We are in cork,
    Thanks very much all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭DeadlyH83

Could a mod move this to accommodation and property please?
    Posted here by mistake,
    Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

For furniture, rent a van and drive to IKEA.

When we moved into our gaff we rented a Transit and did 3 laps of IKEA, filled it to the roof. It was a full days work but it saved a load of messing about, and probably a fair few quid too.

For electricals, do your research online and ring around locally to find what you decide on. You can get a trial subscription to Which? for £1, which we found invaluable.

I found the guy at the bottom of Barracks Street good for electricals. Conversely, the crowd on Forge Hill were useless.

Don't forget Argos. Their pricing can be very hit and miss, but I think our dryer came from there. They deliver too.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It depends on where you are.
    Sometimes your local shops are the most reasonable.
    When we moved in here I went to DID online and picked everything then rang them with my list for a best price and got a great deal.
    My experience of Beko so far has been good both my current fridge and freezer are Beko,Candy make great not too expensive Driers and Normende are worth looking at for washing machines. Look at the guarantee given with the item a few more euro for an item with a 7 year warranty beats everything else.
    Ikea is great for some stuff but I would not like to furnish my house house from there.
    Beds.ie is good for beds.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭DeadlyH83

Thanks very much for the help, I'll have to look them up now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

+1 on beds.ie have used them a few times and found them both reasonable and helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

I found Powercity the cheapest for Electrical/Household items and good to deal with.They do nationwide delivery.If you are buying multiple items,before you place you order,talk to them and they mite even knock a few quid more off.

http://www.powercity.ie/

For Bathroom items,I saw this crowd advertising on BBC NI lately.Again nationwide delivery.Dont know how their prices compare with others.
    http://www.bathshack.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

You can buy cheap appliances but they just never last( my parents are landlords and only German made stuff lasts). Bosch are the best brand for nearly everything except Miele for washing machines( they are so expensive but worth it. My mothers is 12 years old, used twice a day with no issues ever).

Baize house in Glasnevin sells good quality branded appliances with minor exterior damage. Meaning you could get a perfect dishwasher for a third cheaper due to a small scratch. Otherwise DID are pretty good value and will negotiate a better price. Try wait for a specials weekend in DID.

Also project time design sell amazing tiles cheap enough that they have brought direct from the factories. Most building suppliers will have cheap baths, toilet suites etc that customers ordered and never collected. Therefore you may get a €450 toilet going for €80

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

Take a look at this thread for bedroom furniture and mattresses.

I bought a fantastic Sealy contract bed off Big Mickey, best mattress I have ever slept on.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056152508&page=35

Check out http://www.bigmickey.ie/shop/index.php

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Of course you could go down the free cycle root. A lot of furniture can be gotten for free as can appliances. Even if you only use them a short while you can pass the stuff on later when you buy new appliances.

I really think the channel 4 show gives some good ideas and worth doing. I am sure you

Many struggle with furniture for their first home.
    Being able to make or repair things is really useful skill you never regret having

Advertisement