Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orientation Program?

Options
  • 21-08-2013 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭

Hi,

Did anyone else getting into DIT via Hear Scheme got email telling about the Orientation Program?
    I got two offers from the DIT, on the email it says that There are two Orientation Programmes but I only need to attend one. One of them is a 1 day OP and the other one is 5 days OP.
    But then at the bottom of the email it says that "Please note you can only attend the corresponding Orientation Programme for the course that you accept."
    And my course is a 5days one, does it mean that I have to attend it? I am not really bothered to go to it..

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 mayrocks7

I got an email too!! :) and I emailed them back asking if I will lose my place if I can't attend it, they said I wouln't lose my place but I had to contact them telling them why I can't make it,
    I say, go! it's a great why to make new friends, Im going to mine, mines the 1 day one though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭TheAlkaline

Yeah I wouldn't mind going for the 1 day one, but 5 days seems to be a bit too much? What are they going to show us..

• Registered Users Posts: 27 mayrocks7

yeah I know what you mean :/, 5 days!! you do you have to stay there over night do you have to keep coming back the next day

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭TheAlkaline

I dont think that they will provide me with the accomodation so I have to go there everyday :/ Too much effort with that

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Ryank9

So if we have got accepted on the HEAR scheme we have to attend both the 5 day orientation and the 1 day one on the Saturday or are we allowed to choose?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Hey Guys,

Congrats on getting into DIT.

I was the Student Leader Coordinator of the Access Service (people who get into DIT via the HEAR scheme go onto the Access Programme) Orientation programme last year, so that meant that I organised and ran it with Access Service staff.

You do need to go for the 5 days. The thing's you'll be doing range from information on the various services available in DIT (social, academic, financial etc) and then also all the extra things you will get as an Access Student, to doing a Treasure Hunt around Dublin City Centre so you get to see the city (it's our campus afterall!!) and also it really boosts confindence for the shyer students. You can checkout the access services website at www.communitylinks.ie and it has some more details. There's also a pretty informative thread from last year that you'll find if you go searching for it.

Typically, students who get are deemed to qualify for Access are students who will need extra supports throughout college (be it financial, academic, whatever) and this gives the Access staff the chance to assess you and see what help you will need throughout the year.

You'll have great craic at it, and you should really go in with an open mind. You'll make some great friends - I'm still in touch with people from when I did the Access OP in 2010. I enjoyed it so much I went back for more as a Student Leader in 2011, and as the Coordinator in 2012 (and I'm trying to get a cameo role this year!).

If you have any specific Qs on the Access Service or on DIT in general (i'm based in Aungier street, but from Access I've a pretty good working knowledge of most campuses) feel free to give me a shout, I'll be happy to help in anyway I can.

Advertisement