Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Smartphone to Buy?

Options
  • 21-08-2013 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭

I'm looking to buy a new smartphone but unsure of which to get. I'm thinking i should just get the new iPhone since its familiar to me and seems to be the most used. Although I'd like to get one of the best but really cant figure out the differences between Smartphones. Can someone please tell me what the differences are and which i should get? Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Undeadfred wrote: »
    Best Smartphone to Buy?

1. HTC One

2. Samsung Galaxy S4

3. Sony Xperia Z

... no iPhone amongst the top 10.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Undeadfred

Torqay wrote: »
    1. HTC One

2. Samsung Galaxy S4

3. Sony Xperia Z

... no iPhone amongst the top 10.

What do they have that the iPhone doesn't?

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭platinums

HTC one still has no SD Card?
    They all have bigger screens.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 Aidenwyatt

Samsung Galaxy S4.............

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭invaderzimirl

yes i would definitely put both the Samsung S3 and S4 above the HTC One

im not an apple fan but when it comes down to what will be best for YOU, what do you want to do with your phone.
    im a very much android man but if an iPhone would siut your needs best its each persons own dissension.

so what are you looking to do with your new phone ?
    what apps do you like to use?

its continues on

your best answering these questions before this gets out of hand with people just saying "i think x is best"

once you say what your looking to do with your new smart phone then you can hear proper advice as to what you should get.

hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭smeedyova

I have the same questions. I have never had a smartphone, no interest, but now need a new phone so figure I might as well go smart ;-0 I haven't paid any attention to the mobile world for a few years, don't even know the difference between android and not android, etc.

I'd like one with a decent screen, decent camera, not annoyingly slow for rare internet usage, and I'd like to have skype. What's the cheapest phone that can do those things?

Also, I know of people who bought unwanted upgrades from others...How do you go about finding somebody who has an unwanted upgrade to sell? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Stormington

I have the same questions. I have never had a smartphone, no interest, but now need a new phone so figure I might as well go smart ;-0 I haven't paid any attention to the mobile world for a few years, don't even know the difference between android and not android, etc.
    There are a couple of different phones running various software types but they'll all make calls, texts and allow you to surf the net. Some link up best with Google stuff (Android), some with Apple (iPhones), some with Skydrive and MS Office (Windows) and others for...other stuff (Blackberry) but they will work with all of the main programs and apps you'll need on a day-to-day basis like Whatsapp, Viber, Skype, Angry Birds, Gmail & Facebook and it won't make a difference what phone your friend uses either.
    I'd like one with a decent screen, decent camera, not annoyingly slow for rare internet usage, and I'd like to have skype. What's the cheapest phone that can do those things?
    Cheapest phone that will do it reliably? The Huawei y300 (running on Android) for €99 from emobile. It's €5 to get it unlocked online too. I've got one and I'm happy out with it despite owning a more expensive/better specced phone before that.

Most of the other phones at the same price point are shocking (especially the Android ones) and I'd strongly advise you to avoid them.

The Nokia Lumia 520 (running Windows) is a great piece of kit around the €120 mark but it doesn't have a camera flash or front-facing camera for video calls.
    Also, I know of people who bought unwanted upgrades from others...How do you go about finding somebody who has an unwanted upgrade to sell? Thanks!
    Adverts.ie. Donedeal. Ebay. Your local paper. If buying online I'll tell you to try to get something with 1 GB RAM (have a look at the phone's description online) and avoid Sony.

@OP:

HTC One
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (Note 3 is on the way though)

I don't think anything comes close to those 3 at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭smeedyova

Thank you, Stormington. That's a very helpful reply. I had settled on the Nokia Lumia 520. I'm glad that you recommend it :-) Thanks again.

Advertisement