Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orlando, Florida advice please

Options
  • 21-08-2013 8:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, I need some help and inspiration on planning a trip to Orlando for October. Heading with my 3 kids and OH. It's a last minute decision and we are going to be on a budget.

So any advice would be much appreciated.

I need suggestions for family friendly hotels. I hear international drive is the place and I we would like to be central enough?

Best parks for 4,7,14 year old?

We will be hiring a car, which I have covered.
    Any good day trips?

And evening entertainment which is child friendly?

Also if anyone has been to Orlando in early October, can they let me know what the weather is like?

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

Quality wrote: »
    Hey guys, I need some help and inspiration on planning a trip to Orlando for October. Heading with my 3 kids and OH. It's a last minute decision and we are going to be on a budget.
    Could you be more specific? The theme parks in Orlando, with 3 children would not be cheap :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Hey

Yeah i suppose it is a bit vague.

TBH not sure how much money we are going to spend. we want a budget hotel that is child friendly with a nice pool, free parking and we couldn't care less about room size. It will only be for sleeping in.

As we are only going for 7 nights we were hoping to get a 3 day park pass. Just not sure which are the best to go to. Kids ages are a mix, but bestro keep the older ones happy. Thankfully the youngest is easily pleased.

Also any other day trips or scenic attractions. That aren't going to blow the budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

Be Shure to stay on international drive you can get a 1 or 2 week ticket for the i ride that will bring you everywhere you need bar universal and Disneyland as far as I remember pretty cheap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Hey

Yeah i suppose it is a bit vague.

TBH not sure how much money we are going to spend. we want a budget hotel that is child friendly with a nice pool, free parking and we couldn't care less about room size. It will only be for sleeping in.

As we are only going for 7 nights we were hoping to get a 3 day park pass. Just not sure which are the best to go to. Kids ages are a mix, but bestro keep the older ones happy. Thankfully the youngest is easily pleased.

Also any other day trips or scenic attractions. That aren't going to blow the budget.

I'm sure there are loads of cheaper/better hotels on I-Drive that others will be able to recommend but we stayed here and thought it was great.

http://www.roseninn9000.com/

Location is good on I-Drive and it meets the criteria you mention above. As for tickets, I can't remember for sure but I think it's just as cheap buying a 14 day Flex Ticket that gives you access to Universal Studios/Wet N Wild and the 2 SeaWorld parks as it is buying a 3 day pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭angeleyes

Have a look at the Disney forum for tips and ideas.

http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/

• Advertisement

I'm sure there are loads of cheaper/better hotels on I-Drive that others will be able to recommend but we stayed here and thought it was great.

http://www.roseninn9000.com/

Location is good on I-Drive and it meets the criteria you mention above. As for tickets, I can't remember for sure but I think it's just as cheap buying a 14 day Flex Ticket that gives you access to Universal Studios/Wet N Wild and the 2 SeaWorld parks as it is buying a 3 day pass.

I had my eye on this one, but it's booked out some of the days of our stay! Typical!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Given you have a car Busch Gardens in Tampa is well worth a visit. I did loads of parks last year and I'd say it was my favourite, I didn't consider it to be as hyped as the other parks so found it a great all rounder. Think of a huge zoo, you can go on a mini safari ride on the back of a truck and feed the giraffes (amazing experience), there's a petting corner with all sorts including kangaroos and then there's loads of roller coasters big and small. There's a kiddies play area for the little ones and the food branched out from the bog standard burgers and pizzas that you get in most parks. A great day out.

Weather wise, I was there early October, it was t-shirt and shorts weather, not too hot (I don't do well in the heat so it was perfect), occasional rain shower but nothing that wasn't dried up in 5 minutes when the sun came back.

Given you have a car Busch Gardens in Tampa is well worth a visit. I did loads of parks last year and I'd say it was my favourite, I didn't consider it to be as hyped as the other parks so found it a great all rounder. Think of a huge zoo, you can go on a mini safari ride on the back of a truck and feed the giraffes (amazing experience), there's a petting corner with all sorts including kangaroos and then there's loads of roller coasters big and small. There's a kiddies play area for the little ones and the food branched out from the bog standard burgers and pizzas that you get in most parks. A great day out.

Weather wise, I was there early October, it was t-shirt and shorts weather, not too hot (I don't do well in the heat so it was perfect), occasional rain shower but nothing that wasn't dried up in 5 minutes when the sun came back.

That sounds amazing Cath... will defo put this on the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Jonny_D

Seeing as you're already hiring a car, maybe look at renting a villa with pool as an alternative to a hotel?
    Might work out cheaper, and the extra space might be nice - especially having 3 kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Ilovelucy

We have been a few times now and always go in October. Weather is lovely - a bit cool in the mornings but heats right up with little rain.

We have stayed in both villas and condos and Floridays on IDrive is our best stay yet. It's down the end of IDrive and is a way from the hustle and bustle from the North End.

Best place for 3 day passes is through Mouse savers. Sign up for their newsletter and they send a mail out 15th monthly with discounted prices.

http://www.mousesavers.com/sign-up-for-the-free-mousesavers-newsletter-and-optional-hot-deals-emails/

Anything else you want help with just shout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭gowley

check out lake buena vista resort. stayed there 2 years ago for a week. not on international drive but close to all parks. agree with poster about bush gardens. well worth a visit.

Is buena vista far away. It only says 4-5 miles away?

Is the traffic heavy?

I am not nervous driving, but will be first time driving on the other side of the road :eek:

I would prefer a hotel. It's more of a holiday. If I rent a house. I will end up cleaning it :o

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭gowley

Is buena vista far away. It only says 4-5 miles away?

Is the traffic heavy?

I am not nervous driving, but will be first time driving on the other side of the road :eek:

I would prefer a hotel. It's more of a holiday. If I rent a house. I will end up cleaning it :o

lol no its cleaned for you. we had a rented car but used shuttle buses supplied by the hotel some days and if you miss the bus back the taxi was cheap enough
    there is no restaurant but there is one right across the road with good reasonable food and caters well for kids. theres also a pool and a discount outlet centre on the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

If you have access to a free shuttle bus to the parks then use them. Parking can cost around 15 dollars, and the shuttle tends to leave you right at the door.

I stayed in the doubletree by seaworld. It's a bit away from I. Drive. Wasn't fancy but did the trick. Food in the hotel was very expensive though so no harm heading to a subway or a local diner.

Advertisement