Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kings Johns Castle on Nationwide 7pm

• 21-08-2013 7:06pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭

Its on now if anyone watching.Why does Shannon development/heritage have so many northern people working for it lol

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Finton90

Was it any good?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Havent been to the new castle,it didn't show much really.Looking forward to checking it out soon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭pigtown

I was there yesterday and I was really impressed. It's a very informative tour, beginning in the old museum building with a history of the city from Viking times up to the Flight of the Earls. Very interactive and clearly laid out. Then its on to the castle, beginning with foundations under the newer building, and out into the castle itself. Finally, upstairs in the glass building there is info about the archaeological works done in the castle, and also a history of the rest of the city up to today. Downstairs there is a nice cafe and gift shop. It's definitely comparable to any tourist attraction in the country.

It was very busy and loads of foreign accents. Unfortunately a few of the electronic exhibits weren't working but it was worth the €9 overall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

pigtown wrote: »
    I was there yesterday and I was really impressed. It's a very informative tour, beginning in the old museum building with a history of the city from Viking times up to the Flight of the Earls. Very interactive and clearly laid out. Then its on to the castle, beginning with foundations under the newer building, and out into the castle itself. Finally, upstairs in the glass building there is info about the archaeological works done in the castle, and also a history of the rest of the city up to today. Downstairs there is a nice cafe and gift shop. It's definitely comparable to any tourist attraction in the country.

It was very busy and loads of foreign accents. Unfortunately a few of the electronic exhibits weren't working but it was worth the €9 overall.

Did they fix the cannonball game, just before you exit the museum building? It was broken on the first day. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Was there before the renovations - and it clearly needed it, but I must try and get in there. I wonder how many Limerick people have actually visited it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭riverrocked

Mc Love wrote: »
    Was there before the renovations - and it clearly needed it, but I must try and get in there. I wonder how many Limerick people have actually visited it?

It would be great if they had a free or half price day for locals like the Hunt does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭turtleshead

pigtown wrote: »

Agree, visited last weekend and it is a major improvement on what was previously there, understand that the visitor figures are up over 50% on last year, hopefully with word of mouth that figure will continue to grow year on year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭pigtown

Off topic but for those of you who are interested in castles, Castleoliver is open to the public for the next week. It's totally different to King John's in that it's more of a mansion than a castle but at the same time it is impressive to look at. It's just past Ardpatrick.

Advertisement