Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help - advice for single mum to be

Options
  • 21-08-2013 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,, can anyone please give me some advise..I'm 3 months pregnant and when I told my partner he went crazy and kicked me out of the apartment we shared. He wants nothing to do with me or the baby.Now I'm living back at home but there is hardly any room as it is never mind when the baby comes. I work but only as a temp so I won't be entitled to maternity pay.can someone please give me advise on if I will be ableto get my own apartment..do the government Give housing allowance to someone in my situation..any advice you can give is much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,865 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Hi,, can anyone please give me some advise..I'm 3 months pregnant and when I told my partner he went crazy and kicked me out of the apartment we shared. He wants nothing to do with me or the baby.Now I'm living back at home but there is hardly any room as it is never mind when the baby comes. I work but only as a temp so I won't be entitled to maternity pay.can someone please give me advise on if I will be ableto get my own apartment..do the government Give housing allowance to someone in my situation..any advice you can give is much appreciated.

First off, that's awful.. my heart goes out to you :(

Also, regardless of whether he wants nothing to do with you, he will be financially liable to support his child so he will owe you maintenance so make sure you look into that.. he can't just turf you (both) out and walk away.

I'm assuming it's a rented apartment you were sharing or his? Otherwise if it's jointly owned he can't just kick you out.. even if you're just both on the lease I'm not sure he can do that.

As far as social supports, best making an appointment or calling your local welfare office and maybe some of the support groups that can help in these cases and find out what's available to you.

Either way, I hope it works out for you and look after yourself and your baby :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    First off, that's awful.. my heart goes out to you :(

Also, regardless of whether he wants nothing to do with you, he will be financially liable to support his child so he will owe you maintenance so make sure you look into that.. he can't just turf you (both) out and walk away.

I'm assuming it's a rented apartment you were sharing or his? Otherwise if it's jointly owned he can't just kick you out.. even if you're just both on the lease I'm not sure he can do that.

As far as social supports, best making an appointment or calling your local welfare office and maybe some of the support groups that can help in these cases and find out what's available to you.

Either way, I hope it works out for you and look after yourself and your baby :)

hes an as****e. At least you didn't marry him. Maintenance maintenance maintenance. Stop all direct debits you may have coming from your accounts for the apartment also. Best of luck. Baby's are great but a lot of work stay positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Your first stop is to contact your local council and apply to go on their housing list.

Once the baby is born, you will be entitled to lone-parents benefit .. ask more questions about that in State Benefits. In the meantime keep temping, or apply for illness benefit if you get sick and the doctor says you cannot work.

TBH, if that's the sort of guy your partner is, you're better off split with him now rather than later. (Harsh, but true, IMHO).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

How long were you living with him?

AFAIK they changed the laws a while ago so you are entitled to ownership of the property if you have been living together for two years or more.

That is if he owns the place.

Certainly make sure you apply for maintenance

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    How long were you living with him?

AFAIK they changed the laws a while ago so you are entitled to ownership of the property if you have been living together for two years or more.

That is if he owns the place.

Certainly make sure you apply for maintenance

I really hope you're wrong on this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

There is definitely something there to allow inheritance without tax penalty. I am pretty sure it applies to entitlement for people living as a couple to part ownership.

It actually seems fair regardless of whether you are married or not as you are acting as married. There might be a clause to allow for proof of the person not contributing to the mortgage. But if one pays the mortgage and the other the utilities that is seen as sharing the mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,328 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

It's 5 years where there are no dependent children at the date of the breakup. One of they key requirements is that there is an "economic dependence" aspect to the relationship.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2010/en/act/pub/0024/sec0172.html#sec172

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

She is not entitled to ownership automatically. The act simply gives a mechanism where cohabitants can apply for rights they previously would not have had. I don't think it has been tested in the Courts yet or at least I still have yet to meet someone who has used it.

+1 million on the maintenance. You can do this yourself, no need to hire a Solicitor.

You will still get the State maternity pay - once you the requisite PRSI contributions. Check this out asap, as if you are a temp you may need to be strategic over the next few months to ensure you accept enough work to get this

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I recommend you head down to your local social welfare office and explain your situation to your local community welfare officer (CWO) and see what the CWO advises

You might also find the state benefits forum useful to keep an eye on:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=861

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Sala wrote: »
    You will still get the State maternity pay - once you the requisite PRSI contributions. Check this out asap, as if you are a temp you may need to be strategic over the next few months to ensure you accept enough work to get this

Ahh, I don't think that's true. Eligibility depends on stamps AND being in a job at the time you drop. No one's gonna give a heavily preganant temp a long term contract.

But really ... it's a question for state beenfits.

• Advertisement
Advertisement