Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tracker re-mortgage Question? Help please.

Options
  • 21-08-2013 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi lads,

The wife and I have a tracker with PTSB. If we were to re-mortgage would we lose the tracker?

I've been told we wouldn't, which seems too good to be true to be honest.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
    John.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Depends what you mean by re-mortgage. If you mean move your mortgage from one provider to another, I don't know of anyone doing new trackers at the moment.

If you mean add more borrowing to an existing mortgage, maybe they are giving you a new rate on your new borrowings, and you keep the old rate on your old borrowings. This I have heard of.

Get whatever they are offering you in writing and it should be pretty clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭chuckyarelaw

pwurple wrote: »
    Depends what you mean by re-mortgage. If you mean move your mortgage from one provider to another, I don't know of anyone doing new trackers at the moment.

If you mean add more borrowing to an existing mortgage, maybe they are giving you a new rate on your new borrowings, and you keep the old rate on your old borrowings. This I have heard of.

Get whatever they are offering you in writing and it should be pretty clear.

Re-mortgage means to take out a mortgage on a property you have paid the mortgage off on.

Equity release allows you to take out an additional mortgage for a portion of the value of the house above what is left to pay.

CAL

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

it is awesome if they do but I would read the fine print 1st. It might be a case of that you have very little left on your mortgage and they want to keep you as customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 JohnMartyn

Thanks lads.

We're looking to build an extension of circa €30K.

On a very good tracker rate so would be great if we could add this cost to our mortgage and keep the low rate.

Probably unlikely.

Have never missed a payment and are currently saving more per month than we're paying on our mortgage.

Cheers
    John.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭killers1

JohnMartyn wrote: »
    Thanks lads.

We're looking to build an extension of circa €30K.

On a very good tracker rate so would be great if we could add this cost to our mortgage and keep the low rate.

Probably unlikely.

Have never missed a payment and are currently saving more per month than we're paying on our mortgage.

Cheers
    John.

They'll lend you the €30k at their current equity release rate and will leave your existing tracker rate as is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭chuckyarelaw

killers1 wrote: »
    They'll lend you the €30k at their current equity release rate and will leave your existing tracker rate as is.

EXACTLY

Advertisement