Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC2015's Guide To 600 Points

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 LC 2015

MWick94 wrote: »
    While I admire your motivation, I think you are overlooking a key aspect of the leaving cert. You make it clear in the first post that you hate writing things out and that you are typing everything, but you won't have that luxury in the exams (unless you are get a special exemption due to physical reasons). You need to practice being able to handwrite essays and exam answers within the time allowed. You can type much faster than you can write, so you may struggle with completing exams in the time frame given.

Just an idea you should think about :)

Oh no, don't get me wrong, I'm a really fast writer. Finished every exam in the junior with at least a good 30 - 40 mins to spare. It's just that I don't like having my notes on paper because it's harder to read, and they're a lot neater when I do them on the computer (my handwriting is pretty messy). Plus its faster for making notes, because timing only matters for exam questions really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭if832uspx4eogt

That computer program is great but I'm not bringing in my new Macbook into school where it'd get robbed so there's the first flaw.

That computer program is great but I'm not bringing in my new Macbook into school where it'd get robbed so there's the first flaw.

Oh I don't, I just make my notes at home. Don't think I'd be allowed anyway, but if I was I'd just get insurance for it, problem solved! :)

...Failing that, there's plenty of ways you can protect your mac from theft, see here

For most of my subjects the teacher just gets us to write pages into our notebooks, and if I'm honest, they're not the best notes. I rewrote almost all of my notes into my own words, mindmaps, & bullet points. So for the leaving cert it's going to be the exact same, except I'll be rewriting them in Growly Notes. The best feature is being able to import exams papers as pdfs, and do them side by side, they're by far the best way of studying. (For me, at least)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

LC 2015 wrote: »
    Oh I don't, I just make my notes at home. Don't think I'd be allowed anyway, but if I was I'd just get insurance for it, problem solved! :)

...Failing that, there's plenty of ways you can protect your mac from theft, see here

For most of my subjects the teacher just gets us to write pages into our notebooks, and if I'm honest, they're not the best notes. I rewrote almost all of my notes into my own words, mindmaps, & bullet points. So for the leaving cert it's going to be the exact same, except I'll be rewriting them in Growly Notes. The best feature is being able to import exams papers as pdfs, and do them side by side, they're by far the best way of studying. (For me, at least)

Why are criminals so stupid? The first thing I'd do if I appropriated a laptop would be to reef the HD out...

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭positivealf

Not sure how someone can steal your tablet or macbook if you have it in your school bag or a case that you carry around with you. I did it last year and not one finger touched it except for a few friends and teachers(confiscated) xD

• Advertisement

Wow it's been a while but I just thought I'd update this.

Finished my Summer exams and got 560. Not quite 625, but not bad either. Basically I just listened in class, and did homework. Crammed for about 4 hours per subject the night before each exam.

Initially, I'd be inclined to disagree strongly with Spurious, I thought hard work was enough for anyone to do well. However, I know of several people who easily put in 2-3 times the amount of work that I did this and still didn't do as well as me.

I guess I'm just one of the lucky ones with a strong educational aptitude. Cramming works for me, even in subjects like biology. Once I read the notes I understand it, and once I understand it it's in my short term memory. The pressure also helps to motivate me.

So yeah that's probably not the most encouraging advice for others, but find what works for you, stick to it and I'm sure you'll do fine too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 WeAreGod

LC 2015 wrote: »
    Wow it's been a while but I just thought I'd update this.

Finished my Summer exams and got 560. Not quite 625, but not bad either. Basically I just listened in class, and did homework. Crammed for about 4 hours per subject the night before each exam.

Initially, I'd be inclined to disagree strongly with Spurious, I thought hard work was enough for anyone to do well. However, I know of several people who easily put in 2-3 times the amount of work that I did this and still didn't do as well as me.

I guess I'm just one of the lucky ones with a strong educational aptitude. Cramming works for me, even in subjects like biology. Once I read the notes I understand it, and once I understand it it's in my short term memory. The pressure also helps to motivate me.

So yeah that's probably not the most encouraging advice for others, but find what works for you, stick to it and I'm sure you'll do fine too.

I disagree with both you and Spurious on hard work not being enough. Yes, there are people who have a talent/aptitude for school however "hard work beats talent". Sure it's easier to say than to do but that's only because when you actually 'do it' you are rewarded. Perhaps they(several people) may be over working or haven't visualized what they really want or maybe they aren't aiming to do as well as you.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭ave123

i remember being this motivated for the LC.....it wears off pretty fast though.....*sigh

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Hon the Dubs

Hey well done on your summer results great platform for you heading into 6th year! Jut wondering if you maybe have any sample Irish essays or stories that you could send me? I have 2 or 3 good essays that I could send on to you too!

Advertisement