Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indian Spice Shopping - Cork

Options
  • 21-08-2013 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Can anyone advise me of a shop in Cork city where I can buy spices in bulk(ish) to save myself a few bob? If the same shop would sell me a jar of Indian style mixed pickles life'd be even better!:p

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

m*pp*t wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Can anyone advise me of a shop in Cork city where I can buy spices in bulk(ish) to save myself a few bob? If the same shop would sell me a jar of Indian style mixed pickles life'd be even better!:p

Thanks for any help.

Aiysha's Spice House on Shandon st worth a visit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

That's where I buy my spices from. (If I've run out of the imported stuff from London, that is!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

Khan's spices on North Main Street is where I normally go, the occasional item from Mr. Bell's as well. I must give the shop in Shandon street a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,029 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Buying spices in bulk(ish) is not a good idea.
    Freshness plays a huge part in the aroma of spices - those sitting in your spice cupboard for a year will be dull dull dull.

+1 for Aiysha's.
    Also one on Bridge Street and another around the corner on Devonshire St.

The best (freshest) spices you'll find are from Green Saffron - not cheap but the difference between his whole spices and those from the shops are huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭JBokeh

There is a cash and carry place on the Tramore Road

https://maps.google.ie/maps?q=tramore+road+cork&hl=en&ll=51.877233,-8.478431&spn=0.003385,0.009549&safe=off&hnear=Tramore+Rd,+Cork,+County+Cork&t=m&z=17&layer=c&cbll=51.877103,-8.478793&panoid=Ri1sL104q6Mc86VdCtqN6Q&cbp=12,161.64,,0,12.24

Down here(the leftmost of the two gates),there is a carwash where all the cranes are on the street view. The name of the shop escapes me at the minute

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Buying spices in bulk(ish) is not a good idea.
    Freshness plays a huge part in the aroma of spices - those sitting in your spice cupboard for a year will be dull dull dull.

+1 for Aiysha's.
    Also one on Bridge Street and another around the corner on Devonshire St.

The best (freshest) spices you'll find are from Green Saffron - not cheap but the difference between his whole spices and those from the shops are huge.

I second that you will find him in Mahon farmers market on a Thursday.

JBokeh wrote: »
    There is a cash and carry place on the Tramore Road

I suspect you're thinking of CX cash and carry which closed down about 2 years ago. Smaller and not so good version by Turners Cross Motors now.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭JBokeh

I suspect you're thinking of CX cash and carry which closed down about 2 years ago. Smaller and not so good version by Turners Cross Motors now.

There is an Indian one behind it too,zaqua I think it is called. But as with a lot of places like that you might want to check the dates on some of the stuff you look at. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭druidstone

I have to agree, buy your spices whole if possible and grind them yourself with a mortar and pestle, the difference in taste is incredible.
    This tip was given to me by a good friends mother, who is from India. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭m*pp*t

That's great lads and lassies. Thanks a million!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Cartuja

Sultan on Penrose Wharf will make up any mix you want.

Always negotiate prices. He loves that.
    Sound guy.

Cartuja wrote: »
    Sultan on Penrose Wharf will make up any mix you want.

Always negotiate prices. He loves that.
    Sound guy.

Sound guy alright but I don't like the look of his spices at all. They are out in bowls loosing freshness by the minute. Spices should be kept airtight. What he does might be fine in a spice market in Marrakesh with super fresh spices and a massive turnover but in Cork it's a different story.

Advertisement